American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:18 pm 

Wanted to see if anyone else has come across this. Apparently there are not too many yanks willing to play the old BG games and I got involved in a RBCT game, BGG 04H Decisions, Decisions rather than see the union forfeit.

In any case I installed Talonsoft BGG, the 1.34 update and the 32 bit update. Everything seemed to go fine until I tried to open 04H, I get "error reading scenario file". It appears to load ok and I can play a turn. All the other stock scenarios seem to load ok.

I even uninstalled it and reinstalled the game and checked after putting in the 1.34 update, scenario opened ok but after I put in the 32 bit update I get the error, which is really strange because from what I can see the 32 bit update does not load any scenarios, just the exe and some dll files.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:30 pm 

After the 32 bit upgrade, what version do you show? And what windows version are you using?

I can still loadup the old BG games, but always use the MATRIX version, now.I had problems after I went to WIN7.

I cannot use the usual BG_start.exe, but have to use BGG.EXE

I just tried BGG, and it loaded up, but it doesn't show the "normal" start screen, but does show the modules. I can select, for instance, GB module and load the scenarios.

When I played a turn, I saved it as battle.btl and went out of the game and back into the same battle, BUT I find no way to start a PBEM game. I guess if you have your opponents game file, you should be able to load up the .BTE file.

BUT that doesn't work. It copied over one of my current MATRIX PBEM games into the GB folder, ran BGG.EXE and then in the dialog box, typed the filename for that PBEM game and it did show that game, but when I tried to play it, I got the error about "reading scenario file".

My BEST suggestion, if you are using Windows beyond XP and you want to play BG games, is to buy the MATRIX and save the grief!! :mrgreen:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:27 pm 

Ernie,

Ned Sims sent me an updated scn file from 2000, the one that loads with ver 1.34 is from 1997. Apparently there is a problem in the reinforcement schedule, a couple of duplicate units on the union side, that cause the error. An update that Rich Hamilton put out apparently that I forgot about, they say memory is the second thing to go, I can't remember what's first. :wink:

Swapped out the file and everything looks fine.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm 

The reason that you don't remember it is because they never put out an update to fix this problem. Due to an inquiry, Rich found the problem, fixed the file, and sent the fix back to me. I used to keep notification of this fix on the Link Express and probably had 10 people ask for it since 2000 (the scenario wasn't/isn't played very often). I've sent it to the Engineering Dept before (not you, Ken) but they didn't post it on their site. It should be available somewhere other than in my e-mail. I was kinda amazed that I still had it.

VMI Class of '00