American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Terrain Modifiers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:24 am 

Can anyone explain terrain modifiers to me and how they effect fire and melee modes exactly?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Terrain Modifiers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm 

Well they are applied to the fire value or melee value and by this make it harder to cause casualties by fire and melee.

For fire combat:
- The terrain in a hex is always applied while the hexsides modifier applies if the target unit has not moved during its turn. The modifier will lower the fire value.
- Elevation is applied 1x if 1 level and 2x if 2 levels or more difference. The modifier will lower the fire value.

For melee:
- Only the largest hexside modifier of all of the hexsides the attackers are attacking through is applied. The modifier will lower the attacking strength.
- If the attackers are attacking across a Creek hexside via a Bridge there is -30% modifier applied on the Attacking Strength.
- Melee attacks against higher elevations have a modifier equal to the elevation change (in elevation increments) times the Elevation Modifier. The modifier will lower the attacking strength.

I think that's about it.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 pm 

I was playing a game and had a modifier of 100. I began to wonder if I could even harm the enemy if they had a modifier of 100%. I didn't stick around to find out and retreated. I was wondering if it meant my fire value was reduced by 100% and I couldn't hit anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:23 pm 

That can happen but depends on the modifiers that can be applied and how high the values for them are in the PDT file. In Petersburg I see -60% for trenches and -30% for breastwork what is simply added up to -90%. That means only can 10% of the fire value that your unit can dish out will hit the enemy, basically fire is useless in such situations and you either go in charging the enemy position or should withdraw to save your unit from enemy fire.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:24 am 

Wyre wrote:
I was playing a game and had a modifier of 100. I began to wonder if I could even harm the enemy if they had a modifier of 100%.....

I can confirm that it is possible to have a Fire Modifier of -100%. In Overland if you have Trenches and Breastworks in the same clear hex you cannot hurt an enemy unit unless you can get a Flank/Rear or Column modifier. Trenches are -50% for Fire and Breastworks are -50% for all Combat giving a net result of -100%.

During the recently completed Overland Campaign Scenario game I found we were doing no damage with 6 gun batteries at close range so I set up a test scenario placing units in various terrain with breastworks and trenches. I discovered that Fire Modifiers are cumulative, you can actually have a modifier of over -100%, placing trenches and breastworks in a Forest hex resulted in a Fire Modifier of -140% making it impossible to do any damage to a unit in such a hex from Fire.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP