American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 pm 

The following message from Rob's sister was received this evening, September 16th, 7:30 PM.

"It is with a heavy heart I need to inform you that Rob passed away Friday night, September 14. Memorial plans are incomplete at the time.
I would be interested in knowing how you knew my brother, and what interests you shared.
"Thanks you,
"Kathy Harney Scott"

For those of us who made Rob's acquaintance over the years this is very unexpected and sad news. Rob was definitely a character bar none, but one who was loaded with friendship, good cheer and an expansive mind. From his home in "Pennsyltucky" he was always ready with his wit and light-heartedness to add to your enjoyment of the world through his eyes!

More, much more, will be said of him, I am sure. And I see that his sister's closing wish will spark a flood of condolences and memories in his honor in the days and weeks to come as all who knew him will come to respond. I will make certain that she and the rest of Rob's family are able to read this post.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 pm 

I did not "know" Rob, but it is always sad to have one of our own pass away.

Condolences to his friends and family.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 am 

I first came across Lt Gen Rob Harney (aka Festus) when he was my VMI instructor when I joined back in 2007. We then served together in the fine Army of Georgia and I also played him as part of an AoG tournament. He was not keen on the HPS/JTS games, he told me that he was colour blind and he had trouble see the unit id’s etc. Rob joined the CSA on 11th of September 1999 (according to my old records), he fought 168 battles, completing six this year. Over the years we kept in touch and I will miss his good sense of humour. Thank you for your service to our club Festus you were a good man <SALUTE>

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 pm 

I first met Rob on June 30th, 2009, when he and I squared up for game #09Jun15727, TS Chickamauga. I was a newly minted major general at the time, just beginning to feel that I had a pretty good grasp of things. Rob was a long-time lieutenant general, said to be a pretty rough customer when it came to the TalonSoft series. I believe that it was I who answered his post in the Opponents Wanted forum, thinking to broaden my experience.

"Howdy!" That was the first word of each of his e-mails for the entire time I knew him. Who says that word, anymore? A man who's either in complete control of himself, or who simply doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks. Rob "Festus" Harney was both, and a lot more! After I told him that I was a Californian, he told me he was living in "Pennsyltucky!" How else was a CSA club member going to explain why he lived in the North? His adoption of the unique Festus character from the TV series, Gunsmoke, was a perfect choice for such a contrary individual. But there was nothing rude, egotistical or abrasive about him. Once you got through the initial visage of a hayseed picking his teeth with a bayonet, you found a very sensitive, thoughtful and focused guy. He was the embodiment of the occasional human surprises that you can find in this club of ours!

Our game went on for 43 turns and ended five months later on November 26th. During that time Rob demonstrated what a wily master of the TS series he was, ambushing me all over the field with little tactical victories and steadily thinning out my ranks and opportunities. But I fought back against him as forcefully as I could, eventually holding him to a minor victory, but just barely! "You're a better player than I thought you'd be!" he said, not in a condescending manner, but in a totally complimentary manner. And coming from him that felt remarkably good!

But what was even more enjoyable was the dialog we established with each other, a dialog that not only covered the usual banter over a game, but also delved into the state of the world, American politics, basic human values, ethics, our personal histories and life's most memorable moments. Rob was always exhibiting his considerable wit with a blanket of dry humor; not meaning to display his talents, but simply to underline his thinking and perspectives. I never found him to be shallow or crass about anything. I looked forward to getting his e-mail game turns.

While I never paired up with him in a game again, we occasionally checked in with each other thereafter, always joking and talking. I liked to write to him and get his views and advice on various club matters. Rob was an active poster within the forums and occasionally went out of his way to cast his verdicts on various subjects when he felt the need. But he always managed to stay in character as "Festus." It gave him an opportunity to say some fundamental things while halfway posing as a rube. It was a perfect way to be disarming!

A lot of his words are still posted within the forums . . . all one has to do is to log in and search the term, "Festus." I suppose that if you take the time to do this and read everything he said in context, you'll get a pretty fair picture of the remarkable man that he was. I found him to be a glittering gem, whose sparkle and charm always lit up the place, and whose light has now been extinguished. The ACWGC will be a slightly dimmer place without him.

Rest in peace, Rob Harney. I was very fortunate to have known you.

(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 pm 

I did not know General Harney but my Cumberland Rifles salute at his passing.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 pm 

Regardless of your color, today the guns went silent in honor of our fallen comrade. :(

Our AotT 2nd Div., XV Corp faced off in two custom battles with Festus. He was an honorable opponent and would love to share different points of view. Always willing to start a debate on guns rights, politics or eager to hear others points of view. General Harney will be missed.

A whole hearty salute to you, sir! <SALUTE!> May you rest in peace.

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 am 

I'm deeply saddened by the loss of Lt.General Robert "Festus" Harney. I commanded the Army of Georgia at the time when Festus was a serving officer and it was a great privilege to have known him. Festus along with several other respected officers helped put the Army of Georgia back on it's feet when it was almost defunct and without a leader, the club has lost a very talented officer and friend, Salute to an old comrade at arms.
I add my codolences to his Family and Friends.

IT'S ONLY A GAME, SO ENJOY IT.

Last edited by Paul Smith on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am 

I did not know him except for some discussion this & last year but the comments show that the club has lost not only a valuable officers but a good man.
Condolences to his family and friends.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 pm 

Thanks, gents, for sharing your thoughts here. Rob was my main opponent for probably the last 3-4 years in the club. I considered him a friend, probably the closest one I had in the club. We emailed each other at least weekly, sometimes daily, so his passing comes as quite a shock. Very tough week, still processing that he's no longer there.

Agree with all that was said above. Rob was a master tactician and was also my VMI instructor when I joined in the mid-2000s. It's true that he avoided the HPS games at first, but I got him into HPS Gettysburg little by little a few years ago, then Atlanta, and Overland. We had campaigns going in all three when he died. He was retired, and I was not, so I was generally the "slow poke" in returning turns. Just wish I coulda got him a few more.

I will miss his wit and banter and the "Howdy!" that kicked off each email. He was passionate about the club, the war, and the rights of citizens. He never tired of instructing me about gun rights. I will miss his emails, which I still half expect to see when I get a notification on my PC. It's rare to find someone who not only is a challenging game opponent, but who is easy to get along with, email after email, for several years, but that was Rob.

RIP "Festus", you will be missed. Honored to have shared this small bit of joy and passion with you. -Tim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 am 

Sorry to see Rob go. He was always a positive voice in the club. Condolences to his family and friends and to those that knew him well here.

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:00 am 

Sad news indeed - rest in peace Sir (salute)!

Condolences to Rob's family and friends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:41 pm 

Rob's sister, Kathy Harney Scott, sent us this photograph to share of Rob in his younger days, posing as a Confederate soldier.
Perhaps a fitting caption for this photo might be as follows.

"Nobody takes my guns! Nobody!"

(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:51 am 

He certainly looked the part.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 pm 

"Last Tribute of Respect" - by Mort Künstler

I am truly sorry to hear this! My sympathies to his family & friends. Though my interactions with him were limited, he was always a great addition to any conversation and the comments left here by those who were friends with him speak to this. He also provided services to the CSA in many ways, with serving as a Vicksburg Military Institute (VMI) Instructor and training at least 40 new officers in this capacity. He also served at both the Division and Corps Command levels in the former Army of Georgia (AoG). I think we can all be thankful for what he did for the Club and the legacy he left not only through his conversations, but with the games he played and the officers he trained and led.

With this in mind, I've (posthumously) awarded Rob the following honors:

He was overdue some of them, including the 5 Ewell's from his service as Corps Commander from 2001-2005 and again in 2008. Others reflect the service and impact he had on the CSA (especially VMI & the AoG) & the Club. Finally, even though it is about 11 months shy, I'm honoring him with the Twenty Years CSA Service Ribbon.

May we all take a moment to honor him....Thank you Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am 

I am sad to hear Rob's death.
I had not watched the site's posts for several weeks.
I had the pleasure of playing a few games in multiplayer with some members of our division.
All my thoughts to his family and all his comrades.

Regards,

Patrick

3rd Brigade
1st Division
II Corps

The Army Of Northern Virginia