American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 am 

Hey guys, was looking at the FoF and BaB games but didn't know if they are any good. Support for both games looks to have died off in the Matrix forums and didn't want to waste the money if the games weren't worth it.

I see they are part of our clubs supported games. Have any of you used them for h2h scenario battles?

Army of the Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm 

Hello Derek.

I have both games. I played FoF PBEM several times and enjoyed the game--my opponent and I did not use the detailed tactical component of the game as it would have required many exchanges of files to complete a single turn. The "strategic level" side of the game is fun and simple. What we used to call a beer and pretzel kind of game.

Played BaB, Drawing of the Sword several times against the AI and then put it aside. In the meantime, I discovered JTS games and that's where the majority of gaming time is now being spent.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 pm 

Brother Against Brother: Drawing of the Sword is probably the best tactical PBEM game on the Civil War published and also the deadest. Not enough people were interested and purchased the game to keep it supported. With only First Manassas plus a few small Western battles there just wasn't enough material to keep players online so you would have someone to play. It can be played against the computer but that will get old pretty quickly. If they ever discount the price it is worth buying just to just to see what the wargaming community lost by not supporting it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 pm 

The Club never officially supported BaB, but does support FoF and Gary Grigsby's War Between The States. I'm not sure what happened with BaB. I can't recall if you had reviewed it Kennon or not. I assume you had.

I do own FoF and WBTS. I have enjoyed FoF and it is one you can have fun with solo and in PBEM. It is a grand strategic and from the same company that made Crown of Glory I & II, which I enjoyed a lot as well and had a really good run for many years. Kind of sad the folks at Western Civilization never made any further games, as I hadn't enjoyed a grand strategy game like it in a long while and had an echo of past games I loved, like Edward Grabowski's The Blue & the Gray. FoF I felt had more layers, but was easier to get a handle on to play. If it goes on sale, give it a try if interested.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:35 pm 

What we used to call a beer and pretzel kind of game.

Good way of putting it Walt! 8)