American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm 

Hi guys,

Knowing how much our club thrives on these games and helps support JTS with input and sales, doesn't seem like the club members would be eligible for a discount or promo code to help support further growth and activity with the club?

Currently if you were to purchase the whole series it would run you....$519.87+any associated taxes. :(

Civil War Battles Price

Campaign Antietam 3.00 - 3 June 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Atlanta 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Chancellorsville 3.00 - 3 June 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Chickamauga 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Corinth 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Franklin 3.00 - 19 Dec 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Gettysburg 3.00 - 19 Dec 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Overland 1.02 - 21 Feb 2016 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Ozark 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Peninsula 3.00 - 3 June 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Petersburg 3.01 - 3 June 2018 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Shiloh 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Campaign Vicksburg 3.00 - 9 Mar 2019 (Changes) $39.99
Total Amount for Series: $519.87

That seems like a lot to me. I purchased the original JTS Battleground series (now Matrix), the HPS series and now am updating my collection to the latest JTS Updates. I'm missing Antietam and can find my disk/SN so I though to my self, "Do I want to spend $39.99 again for BR1, BR2 and Antietam?" At what point does the whole series cost too much? I haven't purchased Petersburg and I'm not sure it's worth it knowing I'm missing some campaigns.

I really wish a 20% discount could be offered to Club Members or maybe even a special promo code used for members.

If I tell the wife I need to spend ~$100.00 to update my ACW JTS series it won't go over well. ;)

Just wondering what others are thinking and if you're still willing to spend $39.99 for the next or final campaign?

Army of the Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 pm 

Hi,

When you put it that way, it sounds like a lot, but compared to what I used to spend per game in the heyday of board wargames forty bucks per disk is a bargain.

I have gotten many hours of pleasure from each and every module and would happily pay twice that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 pm 

I guess this gets overlooked:
https://john-tiller-software.myshopify. ... k-discount
OK just for those that buy have orders of $199.00 or more but it's at least something.

I surely spend 40 bucks for future titles, but I guess my situation is different, in the early days all titles were very expensive with shipping & taxes to Germany so I bought them here over Ebay and got away often pretty cheap.

But one might also consider that under HPS each titles cost 50 bucks so we are already 10 bucks lower with the JTS titles and with the discount someone interested in getting into the series can right way buys several titles for about 32 bucks for each title, and that sounds pretty good compared to the old 50 bucks price.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 pm 

Consider this: (HOURS PLAYING + YEARS PLAYING) divided by 39.99. 1 hour per day x 3 turns per week x 52= 156 hours per year into 39.99= 26 cents per play per year

One Starbucks coffee 2.00 x 20 per month= $4.00 x 12 months = $48.00.

Or something like the above. My math might be off, but my logic is right on. You get MORE bang for the buck with JTS than with Starbucks, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, local coffee shop. (AND not even counting the PASTRIES and/or breakfast yummies.)

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 pm 

Gen. Sands, Sir! <Salute!>

Ahh, Ernie. I see where this is going. ;)

Club members can buy a single game at full price - $39.99 or they can buy the complete series at $519.87 on a members only payment plan. :)

@ $21.66 per month you'll have the whole set paid off in 2 years. That means 0% interest abiding that you pay the whole in thing off in 2 years; with no missed payments. I'm sure there would be a $5.00 late fee with 26% interest if you miss a payment too. Maybe they can issue JTS ACW Visa cards to go along with the payments? ;) That seems to be the trend of things lately.

I would fully agree that a game is worth $39.99 but I can't see spending $500.00+ for the series. In theory the whole set could run off one engine and be charged more for the whole thing. Maybe that day is coming soon?

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 pm 

Well with the discount it would be about 416$ for 13 games, does sound pretty good.

Besides one should not forget that all owners of a HPS version can upgrade FOR FREE to a JTS version, the latest newsletter(announcing the release of Campaign Eylau) by JTS just repeats this and not only you get a serial you now(that is at least new to me) can get a link to a full JTS installer so no more need installing the HPS version & upgrading them to JTS.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 am 
I have never hesitated to spend the current price for these games. They never wear out and the amount of time and effort to make them historically accurate may not even be quantifiable. The price of these games has actually gone down considering inflation and what I pay for other games such as War in the East and the associated DLC's. Not to mention all of the work done by Rich and the crew to update the games. We receive all the updates for free and even have some input no matter how small in the changes that are made. I find few if any other game designers so charitable with their time and effort. In my opinion we are getting a bargain at today's prices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm 

I joined the club in 2007 having only the five, original, TalonSoft Battleground Civil War games. My first purchase with the campaign series was Gettysburg. After that I started acquiring the others in the series about one every three months or so, until I finally had everything. I also purchased all of the strategic titles in our list of sanctioned games. The point is I gradually accumulated these games over the years, one title at a time, until I now have what you'd call a full arsenal. (Campaign Petersburg, by the way, is one of the most immediately innovative and satisfying combat packages in the series. You'd better be ready to fight if you get that title, especially using the Extreme Fog-of-War option!)

New members to the club must own at least one title to enter an academy. The club does not supply a cadet with any games or copies of games. So a good place for a new member to start is with Campaign Gettysburg, which is the deepest game in the campaign series, or with the John Tiller's Battleground Civil War from Matrix ($29.99), which combines all of the original TalonSoft titles in one package! From there, as he may wish, the officer can expand his own game arsenal over time. But you don't need all of those titles to be a club member.

But I do sympathize with Derek over having to re-purchase a title just to get the latest update.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:55 pm 

Joe just triggered a thought, Derek.

I "THINK" you can get a discount for 5 titles. I seem to remember this, but it might be an HPS thing and not a JTS item.

But, it would be worth a message to JTS support to ask and also you could ask Rich if he can help with your missing program disc for Antietam, as their website mentions they might be able to look up past sales to verify your purchases. Support@johntillersoftware.com

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am 

As Christian mentioned, a discount does exist and is posted to the store for anyone who wishes to use it...essentially five full priced games for the price of four. Additionally Ozark is priced at $29.95, so there is a lower entry point:

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/blogs/news

We are the only game company that supports our games for Decades, for free. Especially with the latest updates that have come out, but even before them, I feel very comfortable at the price point that has been sent - oh, and not raised, like everything else in our economy!

And finally, the only way you won't qualify for the free update is if you have no proof of purchase. If you bought from HPS that's the easiest, but a vendor email receipt, a picture of the cd case or cd itself will also suffice.

Couple all that with the hundreds of hours I've dumped into these clubs helping run/start them...providing free games for tournament prizes, and various team members participating and soliciting feedback from the club, I think John Tiller Software has been very supportive to the club.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 am 

For sure, Rich.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:10 am 

Amen!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

I can't wait to spend my next $80 for the last two gaming titles that JTS is going to publish for the ACW Campaign Series! I have been pumping Rich but his lips have been sealed. I like everyone else fantasize about what the last two titles will be, of course a Valley Campaign would be just what the doctor ordered and I am hedging on a Red River Campaign! :mrgreen: But whatever they will be, it will be in my stable of games!

Thank you John Tiller Software for so many thousands of hours of enjoyment and the opportunity to game against opponents from around the globe!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant, VMI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 pm 

Rich Hamilton wrote:
As Christian mentioned, a discount does exist and is posted to the store for anyone who wishes to use it...essentially five full priced games for the price of four. Additionally Ozark is priced at $29.95, so there is a lower entry point:

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/blogs/news

We are the only game company that supports our games for Decades, for free. Especially with the latest updates that have come out, but even before them, I feel very comfortable at the price point that has been sent - oh, and not raised, like everything else in our economy!

And finally, the only way you won't qualify for the free update is if you have no proof of purchase. If you bought from HPS that's the easiest, but a vendor email receipt, a picture of the cd case or cd itself will also suffice.

Couple all that with the hundreds of hours I've dumped into these clubs helping run/start them...providing free games for tournament prizes, and various team members participating and soliciting feedback from the club, I think John Tiller Software has been very supportive to the club.

all true........and we appreciate your support and help