American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 pm 

12. If you can afford to give ground, the every other hex is usually the best defense. If you can’t afford to give ground, you generally don’t have much choice but to use an every hex defense. The reason for the every other is so that fewer units can establish a longer solid zone of control and because units that lose melees don’t leave neighboring units trapped. The reason for the every hex is to prevent aggressors from advancing in between your units and thus forcing you to retreat because the next turn they could advance into your rear or isolate your unit. If I’m just stalling so that my main force can escape or reinforcements arrive, I often use even the every third hex defense which is just enough to establish a solid zone of control across my front (and flanks if necessary).

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am 

Also, the every other hex line allows your to put more men into each stack. Sometimes you can make the hex just about unbeatable (900-1000 men) by melee. While the same force in continuous line would be weak enough in each hex for the enemy to break your line with melees.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:56 pm 

All of the above is true as far as it goes, but so much depends on the optional rules chosen for the scenario. Whether or not density fire modifier, flank morale modifier, weak zone of control and mixed organization penalty options are in effect can make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:23 pm 

Mike, I can see how those impact casualties but I'm not sure that I understand how they would impact the decision to go every hex, or every other, or even every third hex. Could you elaborate more for me?

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:22 pm 

Hi, Ned,

As I see it, each of the options I mentioned has a bearing on maintaining a solid line or the alternate hex defense.

Weak zones of control- Your solid line is more likely to survive because even if the enemy does conduct a successful melee, you are much less likely to have units cut off.

Density-Your defensive fire creates more casualties to stacks over 800 men, making it more likely to disrupt an attacking unit if the enemy masses for a melee and would at least affect the odds.

Flank Morale Modifier-Your own units are less likely to disrupt or rout if they have units directly adjacent.

Mixed Organizational Penalty-Makes it more difficult to mass units for an effective melee.

PS: I don't play using the isolation optional rule, which might also have a bearing.