American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advanced Training
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:28 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

I hope everyone has taken the opportunity to download and review carefully the great updates to the JTS User Manual and Help File (and more) that were produced by Ken Miller and which are now available for download on the JTS Website:

https://johntillersoftware.com/

Given you have, I wonder what 3 aspects of game play remain the most challenging for you? Said another way, what 3 topics, in descending priority order, of game play would you propose be addressed in advanced tactical training tutorials of some kind (and I will say there are very talented Officers investigating different ways to deliver such training)?

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Training
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:27 am 

General Dortch, sir. <salute>
As a very novice player of the JTS series, I think my choices would be:
Command control
Using cavalry effectively
Basic strategy (offensive vs defensive, the benefit of reserves, ect.)
I think most of the gentlemen playing have played either the ACW series or another form of JTS software so the "basics" are very well understood and probably not given much thought. As a newbie to the system...it can kind of seem extremely overwhelming at times.

2nd Corp

AoT
"Let's fill up our canteens, boys. Some of us will be in hell before nightfall and we'll need the water"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:03 am 

warhorse123 wrote:
General Dortch, sir. <salute>
Command control
I think most of the gentlemen playing have played either the ACW series or another form of JTS software so the "basics" are very well understood and probably not given much thought. As a newbie to the system...it can kind of seem extremely overwhelming at times.

Good choices.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:04 pm 

Location: From the Blue Waters of the Chesapeake Bay to the Hills of Tennessee
warhorse123 wrote:
General Dortch, sir. <salute> koo
Command control

I concur with the choice of cavalry. Prior to joining the club, I had only played the series against the AI, and that rarely. I've never played any Napoleonic games. My primary wargaming interest had been WWII, with a recent interest in post-Korea warfare.

I'm currently playing just my second scenario with cavalry, and it's the first with more than one unit. I'm trying to use it as I would a recon unit with jeeps in WWIi game - for its eyes and screening capabilities. Given the era, I think its survival chances are somewhat better the jeep unit, as long as it stays away from cannon fire and doesn't linger around enemy infantry. Beyond these tactics, I'm rather cautious with them due to the higher point value.

I've scanned the internets loking for anything I can find on CW strategies and tactics. I prefer to play historically, so I'd be happy with anything other than "gamey" hints and tips.

I/4/4

"Up, men, to your posts! Don't forget today that you are from old Virginia

MG George E. Pickett, July 3, 1863

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:21 pm 

Mike Terhune wrote:
warhorse123 wrote:
General Dortch, sir. <salute> koo
Command control

I concur with the choice of cavalry. Prior to joining the club, I had only played the series against the AI, and that rarely. I've never played any Napoleonic games. My primary wargaming interest had been WWII, with a recent interest in post-Korea warfare.

I'm currently playing just my second scenario with cavalry, and it's the first with more than one unit. I'm trying to use it as I would a recon unit with jeeps in WWIi game - for its eyes and screening capabilities. Given the era, I think its survival chances are somewhat better the jeep unit, as long as it stays away from cannon fire and doesn't linger around enemy infantry. Beyond these tactics, I'm rather cautious with them due to the higher point value.

I've scanned the internets loking for anything I can find on CW strategies and tactics. I prefer to play historically, so I'd be happy with anything other than "gamey" hints and tips.

You are lucky that you are part of the righteous and glorious CSA because, in addition to the ACWGC general forums, you can also look at:
The Southern Raiders War College Forum http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewforum.php?f=88; and
VMI Library http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/vmi/VMI/library.htm.

You should find there much of an historical nature in addition to game-related strategies and tactics (rather than 'gamey' hints and tips).

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia