American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: arty movement
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:59 am 

Are the rebs at a disadvantage in campaign Peninsula as their guns are broken down, which to my way of thinking means that there are more guns on the road so you will get more jams. This could be most upsetting in the woods.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:58 pm 

Unfortunately yes. The mixed up gun sections tend to use more ammo than equivalent Union batteries and take up a lot more road space when on the move. I have had to leave the artillery behind in those scenarios with large troop movements by road. Eventually you run into a wooded area around the road that forces those one and two gun sections to stretch out to 3-6 hexes as compared to one of those nice compact Union batteries. Only plus for them is being able to shoot at multiple targets with a battery equivalent but I would trade that for better groupings.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:06 pm 

Well that is the last time I will show compassion for the rebs I was feeling a bit sorry for them. I was going to offer not to use all my art on them but I guess I will have to reconsider. Was that an invitation to come to Richmond Col Peters I think I may enjoy a few days rest and shoping. I think I know your cousin Col Sanders owns a few fried chicken shops up here;-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:48 pm 

Sir,

General Frank LJ Mullins,
Commander,
1st Brigade,
2nd Div,
XV Corps,
Union Army of the Tennessee.
Back in the saddle.
Seems you have got lost while I have been away I hope to clear your mind and bring you back to the side of truth and justice. I will take you to the top of the hill and I will show you the light. Where little southern boys and little northern boys will play hand in hand under one banner that of The United States of America.
God bless and save the Union.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:33 am 

To quote Bill:

"Actaully Old Banshee we hashed this out last week and the bottom line is that its a tradeoff. Drew put in more ammo for the Rebs so you get more shots and more chances to disrupt the Yanks. Which in a way is a victory in itself sometimes."

Actually, he did bring up a different problem. We hashed out the ammo problem in the other thread. This one brings up a new, or another as the case may be, problem, stacking. All those one and two gun batteries take up a lot of road space because the game doesn't allow stacks to use road movement. You can work around in most situations but eventually your column runs into a choke point (woods, slopes, water, etc.) and the Reb columns start stretching out with one gun per 125 yards of road while the Yankees get six guns per 125 yards of road.

There is another gotcha but it doesn't occur often. There is an 8 unit stacking limit which is rarely a problem in the games before one gun units. Now it occasionally occurs when you have small regiments and one gun units in the same hex.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:41 am 

I find the road space / bottleneck problem pretty realistic but it should apply to both sides, obviously. Corinth had all batteries for both sides in two-gun sections; that I can understand. It's a bit difficult for me to think of a good reason for having only *one* side's artillery broken down in sections.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:41 am 

Dierk, while it's an effective way of showing it or not, it seems that the idea behind using sections this way is to show the relative effectiveness of the guns. The Confederate artillery is was badly organized and used in this campaign. I suspect that this is an attempt to "hobble" the CSA in the same ways.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:05 am 

Gary . . . .

"Hobble" - to hamstring or tether . . . an ancient word - last in common usage back in the '60's! Ahhhhhhhhhh! . . . I luvvit! [:)]

Or p'raps Ye meant " nobble " . . . - to sabotage? [;)] (colloquial)

They just don't make words like they useta! [:D]

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
II Corps, Commanding.
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia,
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:50 am 

Patrick,
You have been living to near Univeristy College Dublin with facts like that.[:D]
General Frank LJ Mullins,
Commander,
1st Brigade,
2nd Div,
XV Corps,
Union Army of the Tennessee.
Back in the saddle.