American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:58 am 
Well... why not? I don't know many instances where cavalry dismounted to shoot off their revolvers. [:)] Ever carbines were technically intended for mounted use, for that matter.

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am 

I agree, LG Nathan B Forrest's boys normally used pistols (each man usually carried two) in mounted cavalry actions, where as with Union cavalry it was normal to us a sabre. This should be recognised in the rules.

Capt Cam McOmish
1/1/1/ AoG/CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 am 
Not to mention shotguns and pig-stickers. [:D] Ok, you can't really account for scalpin' yanks with them Arkansas toothpicks [:p] but certainly shotties and pistols should count for something?

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3rd Bde, 1st Div
II Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:40 pm 

I think the problem is the range at which you can hope to hit anything from horseback. I have had a lot of experience shooting, and I am here to tell you it is hard to hit a target at 50 yds with a pistol even from a stable stance, let alone from horseback. Cavalry firepower should be factored into melee modifiers.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:52 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />I think the problem is the range at which you can hope to hit anything from horseback. I have had a lot of experience shooting, and I am here to tell you it is hard to hit a target at 50 yds with a pistol even from a stable stance, let alone from horseback. Cavalry firepower should be factored into melee modifiers.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I suppose that makes sense if we assume the hex is 125 yards and the two lines are on opposite sides or even in the middle of each.

But at the same time if we can fire pistols dismounted at one hex, I'd just as soon be able to do the same at 75% effectiveness whilst mounted, too.

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:16 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />I think the problem is the range at which you can hope to hit anything from horseback. I have had a lot of experience shooting, and I am here to tell you it is hard to hit a target at 50 yds with a pistol even from a stable stance, let alone from horseback. Cavalry firepower should be factored into melee modifiers.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

I suppose that makes sense if we assume the hex is 125 yards and the two lines are on opposite sides or even in the middle of each.

But at the same time if we can fire pistols dismounted at one hex, I'd just as soon be able to do the same at 75% effectiveness whilst mounted, too.

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

General Lynn,

My guess is that 'mounted' and 'dismounted' mean more than the physical act of being on or off the horse. 'Mounted' formation also implies 'mounted in column', which is a movement formation. From that formation, only the front two soldier could fire -- an insignificant amount of firepower. 'Dismounted' may imply 'mounted in battleline formation', the only formation that would bring to bear the firepower of the entire formation.

The next question might be, why the 75% penalty to firepower then?

Ever try shooting at something from horseback? [:)]

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am 

I think General Mallory has hit the nail as close as it could be hit on this one...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/