American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:21 am 

Hi Everyone,

I have become active in the ACWGC after being in the (virtual) hospital for perhaps 12-18 months (i.e., being inactive). I have decided to become active again but want to see what non-HPS games are popular in PBEM matches. I am finally saturated after years of John Tiller's HPS games!

I have a copy of AGEOD's American Civil War, having been a beta tester with AGEOD on another product, but am not convinced it is sheer FUN by email (in contrast, AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaigns was fun, for the most part).

I am now looking at either Gary Grigsby's "War Between the States" or "Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-65." From the reviews, either is good, but I am leaning towards "Forge of Freedom" based upon the fun factor I see in some reviews.

Does anyone here have a suggestion about which of the above three would be more FUN (and not overwhelming in time demands). And which is most popular here in the club?

Thanks for any feedback here! Or any other suggestions for a non-HPS Civil Wargame that can be played PBEM.

Field Lt. Robert Riley
Commander 6th Brigade - Artillery and Engineers
McLaws Division
1st Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 am 
I personally like the Talonsoft Battleground Games. They are fun to play in PBEM =)

You can buy them on Matrixgames.com =)

Major Hampus Drott 1/3/IV AotM (Swedish Volunteers)
Want to play a game?
Just send me an email!
Hampus.Drott@gmail.com

P.S I only own the Battleground games, not any HPS games yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hampi</i>
<br />I personally like the Talonsoft Battleground Games. They are fun to play in PBEM =)

You can buy them on Matrixgames.com =)

Major Hampus Drott 1/3/IV AotM (Swedish Volunteers)
Want to play a game?
Just send me an email!
Hampus.Drott@gmail.com

P.S I only own the Battleground games, not any HPS games yet!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good day, Major! You are from the land of the famous Gustavus Adolfus and Emanuel Swedenborg, I see! Do you mean this title from Matrix games: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/319 ... .Civil.War

I wonder how it might compare with this more recent title at HPS Sims (previously, I have only had HPS Campaign Gettysburg):
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/R ... hance.html

I look forward to your reply, sir!

Field Lt. Robert Riley
Commander 6th Brigade - Artillery and Engineers
McLaws Division
1st Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bbriley</i>
<br />Hi Everyone,

I have become active in the ACWGC after being in the (virtual) hospital for perhaps 12-18 months (i.e., being inactive). I have decided to become active again but want to see what non-HPS games are popular in PBEM matches. I am finally saturated after years of John Tiller's HPS games!

SNIP

I gave up over the weekend on the alternatives to HPS Sims (they'd have been too much new learning for my schedule) and ordered HPS Sims' Campaign Antietam. Thank you, those who had constructive alternative suggestions!

Lt Col Bob Riley
6th Brigade - Artillery and Engineers
1st (McLaws) Division
1st Corps
ANV
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]