American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is this a supply DEPOT?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:56 am 

Sorry but somehow I have never encountered this symbol before now in Corinth. Am not sure it is a corrupted image of a supply wagon or a pile of boxes representing a supply depot. It can't move and it has more supplies than a wagon. I can't find an image or a reference to it in the printable manual. I am wondering if it has additional properties besides just being larger like maybe it can re-supply more units and farther away...a longer resupply path?

Thanks.

Colonel Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am 

It's a supply source. The main effect is to prevent isolation. It's often placed in locations that are supposed to be able to hold out while being surrounded, such as a fort.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:37 am 

Thank you. Is it in the manual? Or release notes? Don't bother to answer if it is...I will look again in both places.

Colonel Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />Thank you. Is it in the manual? Or release notes? Don't bother to answer if it is...I will look again in both places.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Suh,

It is standard usage in all HPS EAW, ACW and NBS games. A unit which is surrounded is normally isolated, representing a unit being cut off from outside command, its Line of Communication (LOC) having been cut off. This has not effect on supply, per se, as a unit could have 5 or 100 wagons in an area, be surrounded and have its LOC (i.e. a line of hexes cannot be drawn from the unit or units to the map edge without being blocked by an enemy unit or enemy ZOC) and still be "isolated". This would impose severe penalties upon units in fortifications if they were so surrounded and "Isolated".

Therefore, the Supply Source lets that invisable Line of Communication be drawn to it instead of the map edge.

That is its only function. It is placed by the scenario designer on the map to prevent the isolation of units which are in fortifications.

I respectfully remain,

<center>Image</center><center><font size="3"><b>Lieutenant Colonel Patrick Q. Mullen</b></font id="size3">
<font size="2"><font color="orange">Officer Commanding:</font id="orange">
<font color="limegreen"><b>Mullen's Fenian Cavalry </b>(4th Bde)</font id="limegreen">
<font color="yellow">1st Division/II Corps
Army of Mississippi
Western Theater
CSA</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">ACWGC</font id="red"></font id="size2"></center><font color="limegreen"><i>The West is the best; get here and we'll do the rest</i></font id="limegreen"><b>------General James "Jim" Morrison</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:13 pm 

Thanks Sir. I appreciate your reply but it was not isolation that I was asking about. It was WHERE to find the information about supply source, as opposed to wagons, in the manual as I still haven't found it. However, now I will check the isolation rule. Maybe that is where it is. My only compaint with the manual is that it quite often omits critical detail,and it isn't cross-referenced very well, if at all. You have to know, for example, that Optional Artillery caputure is in the section of the manual on Melee not Artillery. So like I said, I will now check the section on isolation and maybe find the reference to supply sources.

However, good sir, your very kind and detailed explanation is in all probability more astute than anything in the manual. Thanks so much Mr. Mullen, perhaps we should take up battle sometime.

Colonel Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:27 pm 
I am at your disposal, Suh. Feel free to send a courier to:
patrick@britishlegioncavalry.org

I Earnestly Remain,

<center>Image</center><center><font size="3"><b>Lieutenant Colonel Patrick Q. Mullen</b></font id="size3">
<font size="2"><font color="orange">Officer Commanding:</font id="orange">
<font color="limegreen"><b>Mullen's Fenian Cavalry </b>(4th Bde)</font id="limegreen">
<font color="yellow">1st Division/II Corps
Army of Mississippi
Western Theater
CSA</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">ACWGC</font id="red"></font id="size2"></center><font color="limegreen"><i>The West is the best; get here and we'll do the rest</i></font id="limegreen"><b>------General James "Jim" Morrison</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:57 pm 

<b>Supply</b> section of the users manual:

"Isolated Units

When the Isolation Effects Optional Rule is in effect, then at the beginning of each turn, a test is performed on each unit for the current player to determine if the unit should be flagged as being Isolated. The test attempts to trace a line of hexes from the unit to one of the following hexes:

· Any hex on the edge of the map.

· Any Blocked hex.

· Any hex containing a Supply Source.

This line of hexes must not pass through an enemy Zone-Of-Control that is not occupied by a friendly unit. If no such line can be traced, then the unit is marked as being Isolated. Isolated units defend in Melee at ¼ strength. This represents the tendency of surrounded units to surrender."

That's all there is, I am afraid. The documentation could be a bit more elaborate in places.

Please don't kill each other, as you're both my friends. [:)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:18 am 

Thanks Dierk. Always helpful.

Colonel Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC