American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Ideological Considerations 33%  33%  [ 11 ]
Family Obligations 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Geographical Determination 52%  52%  [ 17 ]
Religious Considerations 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Wouldn't Have Chosen a Side 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm 
Another poll question.

Had you lived in 1861 what key factor would have determined which side you supported/fought for?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm 
I would have to say that for me it would have come down to where I was living. I flip flop in my head about which side I support more on a continual basis. Both had faults and strengths. If it was 1861 I think I would have gone with my home state of Florida and joined the CSA. I probably wouldnt be as gung ho as some but I'd be fighting for my home state.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm 

Would have been the Union no matter where I lived as I couldn't have fought to preserve slavery.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm 

For my eyes have seen the coming of the glory of the Lord.
He is trampling out a vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.

(Idealogical, not religious)

The Bucktails

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 pm 

I can't answer that question. That was a different world and a National Feeling had not yet developed. there is no way a 20th Century man can relate to the feelings of an civil war era man. Most people were racist then, religion played a large part in their lives, just trying to put food on the table was a major concern. WE can say this or that but without the early 19th century upbringing, anything we espouse is pure speculation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm 

Being one of the most southern men in the Confederacy it is very hard to put myself in the place of a 19th centry American, so I would have to agree with Drex.

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Last edited by cameronm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
very poor english - missed the word put

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 pm 

I agree somewhat with Drex and Cam, however, I think for the overwhelming majority of Civil War participants it was GEOGRAPHICAL considerations that swayed them to be on one side or the other.

You do see SOME people that joined for ideological/religious reasons, on both sides of the fence, but they were the exception, IMO!

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:36 pm 

I guess I should have marked "Other" as there were really two choices that would've fit me. Family Obligations and Geographical Considerations. Not really a struggle between the two - the last 10+ generations of my immediate family line has lived in the South, so either way it's the same side for me. From a 21st century standpoint, I would have been much like General Lee -- oppose slavery, but unable to raise a weapon against my family and my state, and oppose a government that would interfere with the rights of states. From a 19th century standpoint, I don't know - hard to say how I would have been raised back then. I'm sure it would've been with a leaning towards the inferiority of one race over another (given the culture of the entire country), but to my knowledge none of my ancestors owned slaves, so I don't know how they felt about the issue (they fought for the South, but my assumption is that it was for the reasons of Family and State rather than ideology).

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm 

with my Country; "The Volunteer State" Tennessee

Last edited by NathanBefordForrest on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm 

If the South had won we wouldn't have the great country we have now, united and free. the south would never have given up the slave trde except over time perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm 
I have been trying to write a reply to Drex without success. The What-ifs of History are just too debatable to argue. Especially the what-if of the CSA wining the war.

I gave up :mrgreen:

Understatement of the Century:
Things would have been different if the CSA had won the war. Enough said.

Whatever happened in the war I think the USA/CSA would have ended up reuniting at some point over like issues and beliefs. Whats that old joke made famous by Gary Cooper? "Who says we in Texas aren't as American as everybody else? We declared war on Germany the very same day the United States did!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:19 am 

It depends on whether you are talking about the person we are today making the decision or as a person of 1860. In 1860 it was very much what your family and neighbors were doing. If they were pro-Union whether in West Virginia or New York you would probably go Union. Also it was very much a Southern dilemma since the Northerner didn't have such pressure for divided loyalties. They were more chosing Union or just ignoring the whole thing.

But looking at it from a modern view, Union is the only choice. The South was trying to stop time from passing. Their way of life was as out of step with the rest of the Civilized Nations as one could be. They were going the route of South Africa which would have ended eventually in slave rebellions and bloody massacres. You can be sure the extreme abolitionist wouldn't quite just because the USA decided war wasn't worth it.

From the point of view of what it might have done to history things could even be worse. The South would have probably found itself in bed with Hitler since the rest of the world would have rejected them. And Harry Turtledove would be writing alternate histories about what would have happened if the North had won.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 am 
I am always curious as to why everyone assumes that Nazi Germany and the CSA would have become allies. Hitler hated democracy and the CSA was a democracy. I can't think of any reason a separate CSA would side with Germany when the number one trading partner for them would be their neighbor to the north. Why allie with America's enemy landlocked in Europe just to restart a war that ended 80 years before? Not to mention all the money the south would lose as a result. And, at the bottom of most decisions we make as Americans, the almighty dollar is a key factor.

Slavery would have eventually died out over time. The Great Depression would have taken care of the last bit of slavery for sure as it would have been too great a burden to run plantations anymore.

So was the Civil War worth the bloodshed? Its a question everyone has to answer for themselves. And it would be hard to convince anyone else if they formed an alternate answer than your own to that question.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:57 am 

I have always felt the War of the Rebellion was necessary in order to unify the country and establish a National Identity. Although slavery would have died out eventually, Racism with all its ugly manifestations would have continued but on a much higher level than we experienced during the 20th Century and now. I can still remember seeing restrooms for blacks and whites in the south (1960s!). Can you imagine what it would be like if the South had won?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 am 
I am not saying it would be better or worse one way or the other because there are too many variables that can't be accounted for. It would be different is all I am willing to concede. But different is just different. It doesnt make it good or bad. Mainly because if the south DID win we would be sitting here today saying, "man could you imagine if the North had won!? Man, that would have really messed things up."