American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:47 am 

Gentlemen,

The club will have two openings for Cabinet Secretary (one for the USA and one for the CSA) effective January 1. The Cabinet is ironing out the nomination/campaign/voting details now, but in the meantime I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the openings.

To serve on the Cabinet, an officer must hold the rank of Colonel or above. The posts carry an OBD 'salary' of 15 points per month.

To read about the duties of a Cabinet Secretary, see item 3.3 in the club rules, at http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/ACWGCRules.html#org . Feel free to contact one of the current Cabinet members directly if you have questions about the time commitments involved. A list of current Cabinet members can be found at http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/Cabinet.htm .

Be thinking about whether or not you would be interested in serving the club in this way, or if you know of someone you think would make a good secretary. Once the nominations are opened, each candidate will need to have two officers from his own side nominate him, so it's time to start lining up the nominators.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - President & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:42 am 

Which Secretary positions are coming open, and who is/are currently filling them???

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 am 

I quote from the club rules:

"3.3.2.3 Cabinet Secretaries. The Cabinet Secretaries will participate and vote in Cabinet decisions and perform other duties as assigned by the Club President."

That's rather a difficult phrase to pin down. Would it be possible to know some of the duties which have been assigned in the past, or traditionally? Also, what are the time commitments required for secretaries? Are there meetings at which they are bound to appear? I can find no references in the club rules to any of the above. If I am looking in the wrong place, please advise. Thank you very much.

Brig Gen Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:09 pm 

To reply to BGen. McBrides question, I was a secretary for oh, maybe 5 years. Most of the time it was just routine stuff, mostly approving new generals. Every so often a matter comes up which requires a little more time but I didn't find it overbearing.

I'd heartily recommend throwing your hat into the ring. It's a good experience and the more club members that have that experience I think makes for a stronger club.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:23 am 

All Cabinet communications have been by Email in the past. The main responsibility is to respond, in a timely manner, to emails, on various subjects from the President and Cabinet members. Communication is generally light and increases when decisions are to be discussed and made. It has been mostly on a volunteer basis for committee’s and such.

As General Burke stated it is a great experience.

General Pierre D.
Army of Georgia

ACWGC President
May 1997-Oct. 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">notso Posted - Nov 29 2006 : 5:24:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gen. Laub,

Based on the information provided on the club website and referenced by President Mallory's message http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/Cabinet.htm, the two secretary positions up for election are the ones which expire on Jan 1, 2007.

For the Rebs this is Secretary Don Adams. For the Yanks it is Secretary Ernie Sands.

Did I get this right?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, this was intended as a 'softball' question for DW to hit out of the park...

As for my perspective on Cabinet duties - be available to answer email, typically within a 2 or 3 day window with obvious exceptions when you are 'on vacation'. I probably see 10 emails during regular weeks, and 30 - 40 during brief stints on a rules change, etc. Doesn't mean I have 30 - 40 replies to write, often it's 3 or 4 to outline your thoughts and revise as proposals get revised, etc. so it's not all that time consuming.

Plus you have to learn all the secret handshakes, the voodoo spells, and go over the ultra security dossiers of every Club member to know all about <i>THEM</i>...[:p]

Pretty straightforward, actually. I like being the dumbest guy on the Cabinet.[^] Which doesn't mean I'm DUMB[B)], just means those other guys are <i>REALLY SMART!!!</i>[:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:40 pm 

Gentlemen,

I apologize for my lack of promptness on this matter -- and thank those who took the time to respond. I concur with what has been stated by all.

As can be seen by another post, the Cabinet secretary nomination period has begun.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - President & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:54 pm 
Echoing Doug Burke's observation; from a similar length of tenure I can say that very rarely does the fur fly at a pace which a reasonably diligent member can't keep up with. It's the quality, as opposed to the quantity, of one's input that is so important, as these folks are really stewards of the CLub's overall health for us all.

Having said all this, my term ended nearly a year ago and I know the Cabinet has been busy and done some excellent work since then, so the pace may be a little enhance for all I know.

Regards,

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csa@yahoo.ca
ImageImageImage