ACWGC
* ACWGC     * Dpt. of Records       * CSA HQ    * VMI    * Join CSA    
   * Union HQ    * UMA    * Join Union     ACWGC Memorial
CSA Armies:    ANV    AoT
Union Armies:    AotT     AotC      AotP      AotS     Union Army Forums
     Link Express
American Civil War Books, Magazines and Games for sale (See other items)
Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Top 10 Civil War Blogs
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Posts: 149
Location: USA
All,

For those of you who read blogs, I have compiled a list of the Top 10 Civil War blogs I read on a daily basis. If you subscribe to these 10 blogs you will learn a lot about the war. The nice thing is that each person comes at the topic from a different perspective.

http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2009/05/02/top-10-civil-war-blogs/

1. Civil War Books and Authors: Drew Wagenhoffer’s site focuses almost exclusively on book reviews. Luckily for all of us, he is far and away the best book reviewer in the Civil War blogosphere. I have learned of more new, old, and in between books at Drew’s site than anywhere else

2. Bull Runnings: Harry Smeltzer’s Bull Runnings is an effort to digitize a battle, and one which all others who hope to do the same should study carefully before beginning their own.

3. My year of living Rangerously: Mannie Gentile’s use of video and pictures makes his efforts to relay the life of an Antietam Park Ranger and miniature wargamer somewhat unique in the Civil War blogosphere.

4. Civil War Bookshelf: The granddaddy of Civil War blogs, Dimitri Rotov’s Civil War Bookshelf was in operation before many of us knew what a blog was! Dimitri regularly challenges the work of “Centennialâ€


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 4:59 pm
Posts: 133
Location: USA
I frequent Jenny's page (Draw the Sword, No. 10) every few weeks. She shares two other interests I have, photography, which I haven't done a whole lot of lately and running, which I do almost everyday.

She is a very gifted photographer and her civil war photofgraphs are posted here:
http://www.photoblog.goellnitz.org/?cat=4 for those interested. There's other catagories (nature, etc.) which I highly recommend viewing also.

She is a prolific runner. A 100 mile week is standard fare for her. On the second anniversary of her diagnosis she ran 212 miles in a week (she was diagnosed on 2/12).

She is also a gifted writer. A typical article and her photo is here:
http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.asp ... leID=15389
She posted on one of the running forums I read an account of a 100 some plus mile run through a bunch of civil war battle fields. Can't find the link now however.

She is also a cancer survivor. Posted a very moving essay on running and cancer. Written from the viewpoint of not taking anything in life for granted. I'd upload it but apparently there's no upload feature here. If anyone wants to read it let me know. Her sign off on that essay was: "Every run is a gift. Run long. Run strong".

Gen. Doug Burke

Other hobby: Running 30-40 miles per week. Several races a year from 5K to marathon. Boston marathon 2007.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:49 am
Posts: 407
Location: USA
Thanks for the list, Brett. You can bet I'll be visiting some (if not all) of those blogs quite soon.

Sincerely,
Lt Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Posts: 149
Location: USA
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DwightMcBride</i>
<br />
Thanks for the list, Brett. You can bet I'll be visiting some (if not all) of those blogs quite soon.

Sincerely,
Lt Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No problem Dwight! I initially posted the list to a lot of Civil War forums, but I realized the Civil War wargaming forums I frequent would probably be interested as well.

Brett S.
-------
TOCWOC Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/

TOCWOC Feedburner Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/TOCWOC

My Civil War Books: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Posts: 149
Location: USA
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Doug Burke</i>
<br />I frequent Jenny's page (Draw the Sword, No. 10) every few weeks. She shares two other interests I have, photography, which I haven't done a whole lot of lately and running, which I do almost everyday.

She is a very gifted photographer and her civil war photofgraphs are posted here:
http://www.photoblog.goellnitz.org/?cat=4 for those interested. There's other catagories (nature, etc.) which I highly recommend viewing also.

She is a prolific runner. A 100 mile week is standard fare for her. On the second anniversary of her diagnosis she ran 212 miles in a week (she was diagnosed on 2/12).

She is also a gifted writer. A typical article and her photo is here:
http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.asp ... leID=15389
She posted on one of the running forums I read an account of a 100 some plus mile run through a bunch of civil war battle fields. Can't find the link now however.

She is also a cancer survivor. Posted a very moving essay on running and cancer. Written from the viewpoint of not taking anything in life for granted. I'd upload it but apparently there's no upload feature here. If anyone wants to read it let me know. Her sign off on that essay was: "Every run is a gift. Run long. Run strong".

Gen. Doug Burke

Other hobby: Running 30-40 miles per week. Several races a year from 5K to marathon. Boston marathon 2007.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the background Doug. I knew some of what Jenny went through just from reading her blogs. She is definitely someone to look to if you or a loved one are battling cancer of any kind.

Brett S.
-------
TOCWOC Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/

TOCWOC Feedburner Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/TOCWOC

My Civil War Books: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 pm 
Great stuff! Thanks, Brett! I've never been much of a blooger but I'll give it a try!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:42 am 
Thanks for those, Brett. I spend so much of my blog time on photography blogs I've never looked around much for Civil War blogs - now I don't have to. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Posts: 149
Location: USA
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br />Thanks for those, Brett. I spend so much of my blog time on photography blogs I've never looked around much for Civil War blogs - now I don't have to. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Alan,

That brings up a good point. There are a LOT more than 10 Civil War blogs out there. I keep a list of every Civil War blog I know of at the following URL:

http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/civil-war-blogs/

Brett S.
-------
TOCWOC Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/

TOCWOC Feedburner Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/TOCWOC

My Civil War Books: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 4:51 pm
Posts: 2970
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Is there BLOG on BLOGGING?[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
Image
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Posts: 149
Location: USA
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br />Is there BLOG on BLOGGING?[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
Image
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ernie,

I know that was a joke...but yes, there are many! Most are get rich quick by blogging schemes, but one I read daily is http://www.problogger.net

Crazy, isn't it? [:D]

Brett S.
-------
TOCWOC Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/

TOCWOC Feedburner Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/TOCWOC

My Civil War Books: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: