American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:33 pm 

I just got a new pc with Windows xp home. Initially I had problems installing BGBR - I have a mirror match to conclude. Anyway the game is finally installed and the regular scenarios seem to work but I cant seem to get the PBEM files to work. Everything in Windows explorer seems to look the same and the two .bte files are there on the file/open menu but then I get the error reading battle file. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

General Peterson

Gen Pete

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:11 pm 

Gen. Peterson

I had the same problem when my pc went down and I had to re-install windows and the games, try deleting the pbemailxxx and pbemailyyy files...then opening the scenario, I think that's how I got going again. [;)]

<font color="blue"><b>Colonel R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:28 pm 

Colonel

Thanks for the help. I tried it and I am still getting the same error message. I noticed that the pbem.yyy file reappeared after each time I deleted it and then tried to open the .bte file.

Regards,

Gen Pete

- I tried emailing this, not sure if it got thru.

Gen Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:38 pm 

Here is my standard fix:

Ok, let's try a couple of things and then I will list the procedure and you can try them, step-by-step and we might get the problem isolated and solved.

First, use your ADD/REMOVE programs to remove your earlier install. <u>(NOTE: Substitute YOUR BG folder name for BGW, like BGG, BGN, etc)</u> Then, find the folder for BGW and delete all files in the folder, then delete the folder. Also, if you have a shortcut on your desktop, delete it.

Search for the file BGW.INI and delete it. (This file keeps some information about the drive letter for your CDROM)

Go to: http://www.hc-llc.net/games/patches.html and download the patch for the latest version of BGW (I would think you have the US version of BGW and NOT the UK version, so do NOT download the UK version); then go to:
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/html/program.html and download the 32 bit patch AND download (at the bottom of the page) the so called "Front end" for BGW. DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM ANY OTHER PLACE. Delete any previous downloads.

Now, lets install BGW. When you have the choice, install the program using the TYPICAL install and just follow the normal procedure.

After the install in done, run the BGW Program. Start a scenario and go through one phase, then exit the program.

If the program runs, continue.

Copy the upgrade files you downloaded into the MAIN BGW folder.

Double click on the upgrade file. Once the patch is complete, run the BGW program, again. Play a phase of ANOTHER scenario, (CHECK using ABOUT in the HELP menu, that the latest version is installed) end the phase, then exit.

UNZIP the file BGW_DLL.ZIP in the BGW folder and overwrite any file it asks. Run the BGW program, again. Play a phase of a scenario, (CHECK using ABOUT in the HELP menu, that the latest version is installed) end the phase, then exit.

UNZIP the file BGW_START.ZIP in the BGW folder and overwrite any file it asks. Run the BGW program, again. Play a phase of a scenario, (CHECK using ABOUT in the HELP menu, that the latest version is installed) end the phase, then exit.

If the program runs, you are ready to play.

If at each install step, if the program does not work, start over.

As I wrote this, I installed BGW and worked it exactly the same as I said, above.

I use XP Pro (WIN XP Home works the same)and have no problems with the game. If some of these steps seem simplistic, they are not meant to be, but the steps have to be done this way to be sure of where the install goes wrong.

And, as mentioned before, those pmemail.xxx and .yyy files Do cause problems and they are regenrated each time you play. Because you already tried it after deleting, they are NOT your problem, this time.

Of course, it could be those squirrels you have running your electricity "down east".[;)][8D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 am 

Have you done the v1.02 upgrade and installed Tiller's 32 bit upgrade?

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1st Div, I Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:00 pm 

General Sands, Colonel Whitehead and Colonel Weir. Thanks for the help. I will try your suggestions and hope for the best. General Sands I may get in touch again if I have some questions.

Regards

Gen Pete

Gen Pete