All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:15 pm 

Interesting.

Field Marshal The Marquess of Charlotte, KCB,
Commander Left Wing, British Army, CCC
Ernie Sands

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 am 

Reminding myself to post some 'stuff' about John Langdon 1741-1819... this one will be worth it. But it's late down my way on the planet -so maybe over the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=13 ... 0564221442

Some context around the above, is that as President Pro Tem of the US Senate, it was Langdon's responsibility, to tabulate the electoral votes, then send the official formal notification.

I would have used the image tags above, but maybe it is something that I am going to need to upload to my own blog - I found a 300+ book on FamilySearch, as a bio of Governor Langdon (he had a number of different roles), and there is an American War of Independence angle as well, but I ran out of time in my weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:25 am 

Interesting NARA, related as well... https://blog.fold3.com/war-of-1812-pens ... t_May-2023

if you've ever read any of these ( I had a couple but they were from the War of Independence), they're pretty good- as close as you can get to oral histories.

Although as it happens with regards to the above - alphabetization can be rough ... I need them to get through the W's ...

---
Edited: 2nd Dec 2023.

And then sometime between Christmas 2022 and New Years 2023 a solid documented connection to a gateway ancestor who showed up during the Great Puritan Migration showed itself, and that was it for me and wargaming --- too much other stuff now to look into.

I guess for what it's worth - by virtue of Robert Parke - I had a connection to Dr Joseph Warren (4th cousin) - but maybe a more interesting one, is a Joab Stafford, which isn't much of a household name, even in this period. He was from western Massachusetts and I think led a group that was at Bennington in 1777. He was wounded there. Staffford - or at least that line of Staffords, there isn't much information about them. George Sears Greene (aside from being a Civil war era general was also heavily into genealogy - (and a relative) - reported a story about how they were saying they were related to the Staffords of Buckingham, although that would be a fraught issue in the Tudor era -as they had connections that were pretty direct to Plantagenet lines (this isn't the connection that I found, although they were Staffords as well - a cadet branch of that group).

Anyways, Warren is interesting given the connection coming up on 16 Dec -with the 250th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party (as I just finished a coffee). :)