*   The British Armies in America

* Continental American Army

* French Army HQ

* Indian Alliance

Club Forums:     NWC    ACWGC     Home Pages:     NWC    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:13 am 

Is anyone playing this game as a club match and/or could possibly offer their opinions on the game itself in general? I'm curious about it but would like some member feedback before investing time in learning it's many ins & outs. Thanks for any input.

Great Master of the Most Honourable Military Order of the Bath
Lord Phil Natta and Sir Bartholomew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:46 am 

Same question for me...as much as it pains me to say it. I agree with Phil.....

Indian Alliance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 am 

Yup, there's folks playing it. I'll get one of them to drop by and answer questions for you...... :)

Field Marshal The Earl of Lexington, OSM
(Scott Ludwig)

Commander-in-Chief of His Most Britannic Majesty's British Armies in America
The British Armies in America

Training Center Commander

Glory in the King's Service! God Save the King!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:23 pm 

Hi all – I have, indeed, played several club members in various scenarios from the BOA2/WIA game. Two caveats, it is my all time favorite game; and, I really enjoy playing at the strategic level. Just so you know I am definitely biased.

Wars in America (BOA2) is truly comprehensive of wars from the first Pequot War through the War of 1812. The 'New Game Entry” tab will provide you with a comprehensive list of all scenarios. King Williams War and Lord Dunmore's War are unique treatments.

The game uses leaders with ratings of one, two and three stars. Each level of command extends a certain level of command control. That is, a one star leader can manage two units without command penalty. The leaders have ratings for initiative, offense and defense, in addition, many leaders confer special benefits: training, movement, lead irregular troops and so on. Some leaders are good at leading both European troops and colonials, but most armies require leaders of each faction to fight at their best. Leaders gain promotion from one star to a higher rank though promotions gained for victories won.

Supply is a key component and is a key to playing well. Each city or depot produces a defined amount of supply. This supply is carried by an intrinsic, but limited ability in all units, so use of supply wagons allows armies to campaign far from base. Two types of supply are used, general supply and ammunition.

The economic side of the game is abstracted into the ability to purchase a few replacement and request some reinforcements. Most wars in America were a combination of local levies and Royal troops, except in the grand campaign scenarios troops you start with are the ones you fight with.

This game is a study in the two prevailing (and competitive) theories of strategy: The defense of posts versus the defeat of the opposing army. Cities and strategic targets of value provide a certain number of victory points upon capture. Some continue to provide modest amounts of victory point upon continue possession. The other method of of gaining victory points is through winning battles. Battles are at a strategic level. The player maneuvers to commit optimal forces, the game resolves the conflict.

Units of the game represent trained soldiers, newly raised soldiers who need to be trained and militia. Irregular units include Native American tribes and warbands, irregulars like Roger's Rangers. Cavalry, cannons and supply units. The naval war is an additional feature with capital ships, light ships and transports, as well as river craft. While it is necessary to control the ocean to have good supply for European powers, the use of naval forces for blockade and naval invasions is also a component.

One exceptionally nice option for club members, now that the Rise of Prussia is a club game. Players can play the Seven Years War with ROP along with its WIA companion game, The French and Indian War, and experience the 'first' world war.

AGEOD games involve simple mechanics but complex play. WIA is no exception. It does not have as detailed command and control structure and supply system as most other AGEOD games, but is, therefore, a good introduction to their game system. Incidentally, if you make the plunge and would like to chat through a learning game, that would be my pleasure.

Probably enough for now. Please let me know what other questions you might have.

Nothing is more harmful to the service,
than the neglect of discipline
for that discipline, more than numbers,
gives one army superiority over another.

Geo Washington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:30 pm 

Thanks Durk, Do I need a newer machine with more recent graphics card or can I get by with an older model? If I can run the tiller games on my old horse will I be able to run AGEOD2?

Indian Alliance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:44 pm 

You do not need a newer machine. Anything XP or newer is fine. I do use Window 10, but works on all pc platforms. You will want to patch it up as there have been many patches since its release.

Geo Washington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 am 

wsreed wrote:
Same question for me...as much as it pains me to say it. I agree with Phil.....

But it's a pain that grows on you, what what? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:21 am 

Right then! Thanks Durk, you answered a lot of the questions I had. I have the Gamersgate download version patched to 1.08, is that the latest? I think I'll ease into the game and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:31 am 

Latest patch is 1.10. I have added a the quick fix called QF2 to my install, also. The quick fix only impacts the 1812 scenario colonial faction game.
Assuming Gamersgate does not bundle its own protocols, find newest patch here
http://ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php ... st-patches
Manual install is a bit different than automatic updates, but you will know you have it right when you fire up the game.

Please do let me know if you have questions. AGEOD games are not as transparent as other games, but well worth the investment of time.

Geo Washington