Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:40 pm 

I have been away from the front for a few years on a secret mission direct from George III himself. I was sent far and wide to document that the sun truly does not set on the Empire. When I returned and stood before him, after an appropriate kneel down, I told His Majesty that indeed it does, every night but at different times according to the time of year.

Expecting a medal, a heavy purse of coins of the realm, or at least a promotion I was shocked and perplexed to find myself assigned as a liaison to the Prussian Army near some fearsome smelling city of Leipzig. Thus, I come before you, Frenchmen of all backgrounds and dubious character. I feel a stunning victory against the likes of you will hasten my chances for a return to the cushy palace life I have come to adore.

It has been awhile and I am quite rusty. So much so I still have not been able to pull my saber from the sheath. So may I propose a Leipzig battle, anything will do. Special rules can be discussed but I am pretty easy, as the Lady's in Waiting at the palace will tell you.

I am usually good for a turn a day.

Side note on being with the Prussians. The English ladies enjoyed a full English breakfast after a long night, the Prussian ladies seem to prefer a sausage..

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:44 pm 

Just to highlight the level of rustiness I posses I forgot where you need to send your best serving wench to deliver your reply.

Send to:
nh260@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:53 pm 

This man has class :)

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:53 am 

.....of the basest sort.

Please feel free to fight this officer if you can put up with his sense of humour. I'd recommend a short scenario for that reason :lol:

If there are no Frenchmen able to face this man, allied officers may want to consider if they are desperate. Prior to this officer's return, scoring has changed. Any opponent from whatever nationality scores as a Fight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 am 

As I sit in my rented room above the local tavern, I listened for the sounds of an approaching rider, any rider. It is late, closer to sun rise than sun down. All I can hear is the gentle snoring of Brunhilda, the tavern owners older sister. We have become close companions since my exile to this area, far from the creature comforts of a civilized London. She brings me some left overs from the evening meals and is a great source of heat during these cold fall nights. I blow out the candles when we tuck in for the night. I use the excuse of saving on the cost of the wax. When she disrobes I wish I had a blind eye to turn. When will "bathing regularly" become a thing!?!? King George, please forgive me and recall back to London!!![b][/b]

I fear the Prussians are not impressed with my tactical skills. I have been assigned to a command of conscripts led by a commander more interested in drink than fighting. At least we have that in common.

So to my French adversaries, fear not. Perhaps a Lieutenant or even a cadet of some Parisian Military School would be interested.

Last edited by Richard Bradshaw on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am 

:frenchsalute:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 am 

Brunhilda is actually the tavern owner's dog. But I do understand.

If you really cannot find an opponent, two legged or four, I will fight you. Periodically I do favour the desperate with the utmost condescention. I usually let them win of course, I tell them that, with just the merest hint - nothing that could be litigated - they may have won through doubtful gameplay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:19 pm 

I will linger about for a short while to see if those of the revolutionary life style will approach. The tavern dog?!? May the god Mars smite me for a fool! I thought these local women just had a lot of body hair! And the collar was just a form of lovemaking she preferred. So the howling was not made in the moment of passion?

But what was I thinking in my challenge request. There is no way the French representative would be able to make it to my location safely. It is far behind the Allied lines. So as a show of good faith I have managed to secure a ride to the front with a local preacher heading there to save souls and bury the dead. He is also bringing along a few barrels of "Holy" wine to bless those who need it. Obviously he thinks there are many for these are the largest wine barrels I have ever seen. Fortunately for me he sees a bedeviled soul and said I may indulge as I need to help cleanse my dark heart.

And a cleansing I need! I have taken several hot baths after finding out Brunhilda is canine. Though I must say, she was a good lap dog. Yet I still find myself scratching behind the ears frequently. As for out meeting, I will be the dashing artillery officer hanging out under the white flag on the front line. Remember it is not a target!!!

Side note: there are not a lot of challenges going on. I guess it is more of, "you beat me this time, lets do another" between fighters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:23 pm 

Oi, lads! I am safely ensconced in my new digs at the front. And when I say "digs", I mean it. I thought war was supposed to civilized where officers like me stay waaaaayyyy back from the front and let the ones who were paid a shilling to do the fighting. But the very proper Reverend left me a goodly sum of "Holy Water" to tide me over for awhile. But whilst I wait it came to me that the French are really a very simple people, and when given too many or to open of a choice will muck it up and eventually lose their head.

So let me fine tune my challenge to a specific scenario. Scenario #002 Lowenberg is 42 turns and first in the line of HTH battles. Perhaps we can continue fighting and do all the different battles listed. Once done one of us will surely be a Field Marshall with numerous accolades and a shiny new sword.

Let the first worthy French master at arms approach and be welcomed. I will serve you up like a Bouillabaisse with a snail appetizer and finish you off like a Crème Brulee topped with raspberries! En garde!

Hey, why is that German shepherd looking at me and wagging it's tail.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:04 pm 

While basking in the ambience of this questionable countryside, I was able to whittle an army of French soldiers fleeing from the Russians across a frozen waist land. Their hunched over, battle torn bodies led by a rather short fellow who keeps sticking his hands in his pants. A group of Prussian sharpshooters had bought them from me for target practice.*

*hoping a wee bit of smack talk will rile some Frenchy lust for revenge. That is if their blood is able to boil*

And to broaden my already winsome appeal, I have the BG trilogy of Waterloo, NIR, and Prelude to Waterloo. I can try Age of Sail but WW3 may be over before we can finish it.

So, my French brethren of battle, move one step forward and be the envy of your classless society! Untold rewards could be yours!

Your servant,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm 

I am in need of a game and ready to play if your interested in playing one low born soldier.

Lieutenant Erin Obrian

eobrian002@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:12 pm 

Bless you Lieutenant! For you do an old man and your country a great service! A short note has been given to your messenger in reply.

About your messenger, as this was to be your "finest serving wench" I was a tad taken aback. The peg leg, very large torso, full beard, and one eye that stared off to the left was a bit upsetting. I spewed my drink on to her waist coat when first laying eyes on her. I see why the Prussian guards did not try to lay a hand on her. Though I hear there were some Russians that were smitten. Be that as it may, you may want to consider surrendering to me immediately as the prison camp ladies are, comparatively, much nicer.

I look forward to firing that first shot in your direction, mon amis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 pm 

Well sir, what next? What scenario do prefer?

Liberté, égalité, fraternité, ou la mort!"

Lt. Obrian
La Grande Armee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 pm 

How about the Leipzig scenario #2. I am open to something else if you wish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:20 pm 

Alright young Lieutenant, I have sent the battle plans to you via your delicate, yet fearsome looking serving wench. That's a face I will never forget, even when I reach hell!

So gird your loins, sharpen your sword, put all your valuables in a knap sack that I can pillage, and prepare for battle. I hope you have some family wealth that will entertain a ransom for you after the fight.

Good luck, sir!