Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:31 am 

In proof that the name McClellan is synonymous with slowness, JTS Seven Years War is finally out!

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Muske ... rsWar.html

I imagine that this game will be of interest to a fair number of the Napoleonics crowd here, and I hope that people will enjoy it.

FWIW, who can tell me the named leader that appears in both SYW and Jena?

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm 

Gary - well done, sir! I remember way back at Tiller Con III when you were working on this. Hey, its better to get it right the first time and have less to put in an update. Maybe later but certainly not never! <highfive>

I will be getting my copy soon and will try it out. Looks like a very good effort on the part of your team and I see that Steve Trauth worked on the graphics too.

(its funny - I was JUST reading the threads on this game over on the WDC forum yesterday .... knew you had the game but nothing had been added to that forum in 2 years ....)

:thumbsup:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:31 pm 

In my eyes this background would have been a much better point to start this new series.

Anyhow good to see that such a classic conflict is now covered too.

BTW how long was it in development?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 pm 

I'd have to go find the initial emails from Rich, but I think I came into the project in 2010. There have been many stops and starts for a variety of reasons. Part of it is me being slow, part of it is entirely other issues.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 pm 

I decided to move on from the WDS boards, if you grab the user.pdf file from the SYW page (think it is there ... if not I got one on SDC) -there are some screenshots for REN using some new artwork as well.

http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/m ... mpuser.pdf

Last edited by S_Trauth on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 pm 

Gary - are you still pastoring two churches? I also remember a short period of time when you were helping out with a third one if I am not mistaken! (runs for cover ... one church is enough work for most pastors ...)

Read through the Design Notes ... gives a good feel for what to expect once I get a chance to play the game.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 pm 

Yep, still 2. Yeah, for a short time, I was doing 3. I think I've got a bit of sanity lying in a bar ditch on an Oklahoma Highway somewhere after that.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:07 pm 

While I wait for my class to show up in an hour, I thought I'd make a fast mention about the campaigns in the game.

There are 3 campaigns. Two of them are using the "-in one" concept. In other words, they aren't really campaigns at all, but are instead single battles where each side gets a few choices for their initial deployment. They are Kolin and Torgau.

So, for instance, at Torgau, Frederick did a wide flank march around the Austrian position, leaving a pinning force S of the Austrians, while the main army swung all the way around and attacked from the north. (Eventually, Frederick's N attack was beaten back, but the pinning force launched a late afternoon attack which won the battle for the Prussians.) In this campaign, the Prussians get 3 options
1) Concentrate South- No flank march, hit hard from the south
2) Concentrate North- No pinning force, everyone moves to the north
3) Split force (historical). The historical plan.

Then, the Austrians also get a few options, which dictates where their reserves are.

Kolin works much the same way, with the Prussians having the opportunity to attack from the W, NW or NE (historical).

Then, the main campaign is the Fall 1757, which brings together Hastenbeck, Gross-Jaegersdorf, Rossbach, Breslau and Leuthen.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 pm 

I see some battles missing, what is to expect as either the state of facts isn't sufficient to build a scenario or the battle ran such a "strange" way that it's impossible to depict within the engine, but can you say something about those that were left out?
Can we maybe expect some gaps filled in the future?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm 

The "major" battles that were left out (such as Vellinghausen and Wilhemstahl) were left out because I just couldn't pull together enough good OOB information.

There are also some smaller battles (such as the Pomeranian campaigns) which will hopefully see the light of day later on. (For that matter, a couple of the "big" omissions may pop up too, as I've gotten a line on some info)

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 pm 

Oh, in response to my little trivia question, (heh)

In the SYW, the "western" front was largely run by Ferdinand of Brunswick, the younger brother of Charles I, Duke of Brunswick. Well, one of his major subcommanders was his nephew Charles William Ferdinand, the "Hereditary Prince of Brunswick"... or as he's known in the SYW game Erbprinz von Braunschweig (as that's the normal way he's spoken of in my sources).

In fact, Ferdinand would give his nephew independent command, such as at the battle of Corbach.

Yep, you guessed it. The Hereditary Prince would eventually become known as the Duke of Brunswick, and lead the Prussian army at Jena.

So, if you command at Corbach or one of the other western scenarios he's in, that's the guy that you've led to glory (or disaster) at Jena.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:34 pm 

We had a couple of issues to resolve, and since its so close to release we went ahead and did a new build. I'm uploading that now, so anyone who purchased it will be getting an email from our system telling them a new version is available. Its legit, just uninstall your original copy and do a new install with your existing one. There will be a new button on the Optional Rules page labeled "default", clicking it will set all the default optional rules.

57ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

2ème Brigade
2ème Division
4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:50 pm 

One note that came off of the Blitz. It seems that a bit of a bug has crept into the game that we didn't catch in testing.

It appears that adding a leader to a melee is actually going to hurt you. The reasons are technical, but the modifiers are being improperly applied by the game. I've already sent it off to Rich, but until the 1.01 patch comes out (and I've not been told when that is, with John's military work, I doubt it's immediate), I'd highly suggest that you not use leaders with your melees.

Sorry we missed this. It's an unforseen side effect of something new in the game, and very few people use the dialogue box for combat any more, which is how it didn't get seen.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm 

interesting......I do not use the dialog box either.
would have never noticed.

I am playing the starter scn right now to get a feel for how units move and fire during phased play.

the 15 min turns with no disruption in moving feels different also.

do you recomend "line movement restriction"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm 

Clint Matthews wrote:
interesting......I do not use the dialog box either.
would have never noticed.

I am playing the starter scn right now to get a feel for how units move and fire during phased play.

the 15 min turns with no disruption in moving feels different also.

do you recomend "line movement restriction"?

No I don't. I tested a few scenarios with it, and it made the game entirely too ragged. Especially when you consider than these armies were on the whole better drilled in line movement than the armies of the Napoleonic era. They'd fully deploy into line well away from the enemy and advance forward, which is very hard to do with Line Movement Restriction on. I'm still having nightmares about trying to move the main French army at Hastenbeck into position.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War