Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Les Grognards
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 pm 

Gentlemen,
I am a returning officer of the Grande Armee, I have remained a member of the ACWGC but due to
time constraints I chose to stay with the ACWGC. I recently retired from the Okie National Guard
and now have more time without all the deployments (the brigade will again be in Afghanistan in a few months after pre-deployment training, some have 3 Iraqi and 3 Afghan deployments each in the last 10 years, not exactly weekend warriors).
Anyway, I have all the HPS and BG (Matrix) Napoleonic games (and Civil War), and noticed
"Les Grognards", I was impressed by the site, videos, screenshots, manual etc, saw it was sanctioned
by the club. I could not get the demo to download, kept timing out, but I purchased the deluxe edition,
around 90 Euros or $125, I should have inquired first from the club but what are the impressions of those that own this wargame. It is an attractive game, supported by forums, mods, editors, scenarios
but I am interested in our club members impressions of this game.
I will be grateful for any comments.

Post subject: Re: Les Grognards
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 am 

I remember you! Welcome back!!

I don't have the game. Not many folks in the club seem to in fact. I get the impression from others that it's attractive but still a bit buggy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:04 pm 

The jury is still out on the game. However, you need to check this thread out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11000

The guys that play it would give you a better idea of what is still buggy about the game.

I may buy it later on once they have worked the bugs out.

Note: Our military needs to grow with more active duty folks and rely less on the Guard and Reservists. The facts are it would save us money as well as provide a better base for future reservist/guard units. Frankly I am tired of seeing the same folks having to serve multiple tours there. There is more fighting in these theaters per person than in all of WW2 or any other modern conflict we have ever fought in. In WW2 you rarely saw rear-area personnel fired on (Bulge and Pacific being the exceptions) but even in the "rest" areas in Iraq and Afghanistan there is danger. From our own dumbass guys too who are Islamic fanatical idiots.

Glad you made it out safe. Our Boise National guard units are doing so many tours over there that it's not even funny.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm 

I remember you too Andy, I think we joined about the same time in 2001.
As for the game Les Grognards, it looks like it has 3 patches so hopefully a lot of the kinks have been worked out.
Thanks Bill for the thread, it looks like they are still trying
to work out how to score turns in a real time game, but there were some good suggestions by Ernie (Sands).
As for the guard, I am amazed at these young guys that go on 6 tours in 10 years, there is a mandatory stand down
2 years between tours so that means they have to volunteer for some tours, I have seen guys come back from Afghanistan and immediately leave for training for Iraq after volunteering. A lot is financial hardship, girlfriends and wives spend all the money they made during the deployment and divorce or leave them, all caused by stress of separation.
I have only been on 4 deployments and that was spread out between 1984 and 2010 in the regular army and the guard (I had a 10 year separation in the guard in the 90's).
True what you said about rear area fighting, you can be attacked anywhere anytime, and you do not go to the latrine without your weapon and sleep with it. My last assignment was Battle NCO, Camp Phoenix, Kabul, in the BDOC (Base Defense Operations Center) a FOB, they called us FOBBITS. Anyway, they blew up our front gate,
no one was hurt because a native Afghan that manned the front gate saw this Pakistani about to detonate the car bomb, wrestled the switch away from him. He and the area were secured but the Italian bomb squad detonated the car with a robot trying to disarm it, taking out the gate and several buildings in the vicinity. Pres Bush mentioned this briefly on a TV appearance, the Afghan guard had always been nicknamed "Rambo" and worked for us as his wife and children were killed by the Taliban. Anyway, just one of dozens of incidences while we were there, you could trust no one. They would even attack the nearby base at Bagram and that place is huge. I hear it is 10X worse than when I was there 2006-2007. I just hope we are making progress as in Iraq. I had doubts about the Iraq surge, but it worked, time will tell in the long run.
Enough of my pontificating.
I have a fight scheduled with Stefan Reuter, Commander of the Prussian army, probably Jena-Auerstaedt, we are currently playing a CivilWar Peninsula Campaign, and this will be my first Napoleonic game in years and I fear he will hand my head to me but will be good experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm 

Another French Officer who has Les Grognards!? :shock: great.
Hello David, you can see our club Les Grognards enemy officer list here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11170
Open Beta test : New GUI is released. I will start playing pbem games with Allies on April hopefully. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 pm 
Welcome back David, and from Broken Arrow, OK, USA. SALUTE! ... and thank you for your service.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm 

Thanks Al,
Of course I know ya from the ACWGC and as a fellow Okie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:26 pm 

Lt Han,
Have had the game a week, got the latest patch applied, downloaded Waterloo 1.0,
now I just need about 2 weeks to go thru the tutorial, manual and play a little solo,
and hopefully I will be ready to play.
Salute

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 am 

Well, I think it's a ripper game. Yes, the 3 steps of patches have ironed out heaps of bugs. It runs really well and the developer show no sign of stopping his pace at ever improving the game. I believe there'll continue to be major steps in coming patches too. However it has a lot of depth and it takes some push to get used to it all.

Good luck. Put up any questions you have and we'll try to answer them, tho' of course the best place for that are the histwar forums.

2nd Army of the West

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm 

Gentlemen,
Saw the new Beta GUI, should I go ahead and apply this or wait
for a final version, will it make any difference in play if one player
has this applied and the other doesn't in head to head play?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:45 am 

Yes you should. The UI's much more enjoyable to use.

I don't believe it makes an issue between versions. And anyway, it's not a great hurdle downloading the patch and applying it. You only need two: the 'Full Patch', then the Patch 3a for the new interface.

I doubt there are many people who haven't kept up with the patches. They make the game.

I heartily recommend you also get into the MODs. You'll find the 'Mad Russian' uniform and terrain mods excellent, and a character called Jacquinot is modding lots of bits and pieces from forests to shell explosions at the moment that improve the overall feel of the game. The easiest way to use them is some program called the Generic Mod Enabler. Sniff around, you'll find it (free dowload).

2nd Army of the West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:12 am 

new patch is out.
http://www.histwar.org/mods/category.php?id=4

Austrian-Prussian-Swedish Contingent
Coalition Army

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am 

Ah lovely. Thanks for the news! Now I can kick off a couple of pending PBEMs. :)

2nd Army of the West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 pm 

I may be buying this game by Fall. Can you tell me if you can get the game manuals in a PDF format? Do they come on the disk/Digital download?

I plan on buying the cheapest format I can to save on expenses. If the game manual comes in PDF format then that would be the way I would buy the game.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:01 am 

You can find manuels here Bill.
http://www.histwar.org/mods/category.php?id=9

Austrian-Prussian-Swedish Contingent
Coalition Army