Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BPW Graphics mods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:09 am 

Hi

Just purchased BPW and installed it

I have a hard time seeing the stock 2D unit counters and playing in 3D is not an option for me.

for Wagram, Waterloo and NRC I used Volcano Mans excellent 2D unit Counters

http://volcanomods.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=27

will these work on BPW?

if not, what are my alternatives?

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

Post subject: Re: BPW Graphics mods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am 

John, this is the only mod for BPW I am aware of. I use it and can vouch for it:

http://hist-sdc.com/mdc/sdc_bpw_mod.php

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 am 

Thanks Ed.. Unfortunately the 2D unit counters are the same as the ones that come with the game

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:09 pm 

John Corbin wrote:
Thanks Ed.. Unfortunately the 2D unit counters are the same as the ones that come with the game

Hi John, they aren't the same ones that came with the game; I did not bother with the 2 slots not being used but they are different. I changed around the shading, as well as the overlap shading when stacked, plus the highlighting.

The highlighting is different on the ones coming out in the update; the ones in the mod version were based on a suggestion that I had gotten, plus the map is only ... ok, I think that I could do better with the hexes than the ones straight from MAW -but at the time I was also trying to demonstrate what could be done using (mostly) pre-existing stock graphics from other titles.

The 2d counters (the color schemes) as shown on the mod will be added with the next official update comes out shortly.

Anyway that being said, I am always open to feedback - what is it that you would like to see on the 2d counters?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:49 pm 

Hi John,

I got your file, and that was what I was hoping you were going to show me.

First a disclaimer, since I am about to be published (well sorta - an update counts, right?) - I am involved with graphics with JTS, basically doing the same sort of thing that Mark Adams has done for so many years.

Ok, that being said, here is the deal ... we can work within that area. I don't want to use the ones that you sent in that those were something that someone else came up with (and I don't know who)- plus well maybe it can be done better even so (maybe not ... as I have not spent any time really working with that area I won't say anything definitive just yet.).

If you are just wanting those symbols added for yourself- I am happy to do that for your own use - no worries - it will take about 5 minutes probably.

But if you want to do something more, and work on a new set (work in the sense of providing feedback), I am more than happy to work with you in coming up with something that works better -the stock ones are pretty small.

I don't exactly know how long this process would take to finish; the deal would be that I would be working to use these in my current project, so it would be finished- it mainly involves the work priorities that I have to go by in the project (at the moment creating new 2d unit graphics, while they can be on the list -they aren't at the top, and I will give you the reason for that -the 2d graphics are something that I can work with on my own, however at the moment I need to wrap up some things that I am liaising with another stakeholder (as they say here in Australia). . . and anything that I can work with on my own - then that is when I will be able to make significant progress.

As a general rule we are looking to use 24 bit graphics -so a lot of (if not all of) the old stuff can go away or be converted over - and what you are pointing out -in my mind, definitely falls into that category.

Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, the same offer goes for anyone here - I am always open to feedback (I may not always be able to act on it ... but I am definitely interested in it).

~Steve

PS- now you know why I don;t get too involved in PBEMS. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am 

Stephen

The file i sent you comes from Volcano Man, cannot recall his real name.

Those are the symbols i find easiest to use.

If i had any abilities in the grahics area, i would happily work with you :D

As it is, i rely on the kindness of strangers in such things.

If you can make what i sent you wirk, i would be appreciative.

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:28 am 

No graphics assistance needed -just aesthetic sense and your eyes - I want to float some ideas by you guys when I start and we will come up with something that works.

Thanks for taking the time to make the comments. :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 am 

John Corbin wrote:
The file i sent you comes from Volcano Man, cannot recall his real name.

AFAIK Ed(Edward) Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:21 pm 

No it is Ed, of course - I know Ed and although I don't write to him all that much I consider him a friend.

The key consideration that I have, is that those have not been used in published title before, so I can't use them - instead I have to come up with something myself -and this is because I intend to use whatever it turns out to be in one of JTS' published products -further, it would have the potential to become the standard for the series. That's basically the task.

Fwiw- BPW 1.01 is out and at the JTS site. I did not get a chance to test anything new in there -so I can't really tell you too much about it.