Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MP Game Update
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 pm 

I am in two MP Games at present:

MP Leipzig - we are playing is 076. the first day scenario (66 turns - 10 min. format). Its Mark Oakford, Jose Estaban and myself on the Allied side vs. Ed Blackburn and Jim Hall. Edo Visconte had to drop out after about 20 turns.

The French chose to attack in the south and move their troops from the north back through Leipzig and reinforce their attack. My Light Division of the 4th Austrian corps was decimated in performing a rearguard action as we pulled back to better positions. Cossacks under Jose's command operated on the French left flank and drew a good amount of their cavalry away from the main area of battle.

The Lindenau area (west of Leipzig) saw a delayed attack on the part of my Austrians. I may have caught them off guard ... we have pretty much cleared Lindenau. The French sent troops from VI and IV Corps to reinforce the garrison. The outcome is still in doubt at this time.

Mark commands the Army of Silesia. With the main bridge to Leipzig blown he is seeking other avenues to take to come at the enemy.

A blazing battle was fought on the Polish corps front. I used the Austrian Reserve infantry and cavalry to attack them and was met with a stout defense and reinforcement. They are pouring troops in from Ney's front to try and hold that area.

A good defense was performed by the French up on the heights to the east of Crobern extending over to University Copse. Squares and guns with a lot of cavalry hanging out kept the Allies at bay. The French Guard has seen heavy action by this time (turn 36 or so).

Jose mounted a strong attack but the French fed in the Imperial Guard infantry. The Russians are forming the center with the Prussian corps on their right. Its a good position for the French but they are running a bit thin on reserves.

With the 4th Corps pulling back (less the Light Division - RIP) the French are performing a massive flank attack near Oelzschau to try and come at us from the rear. Both sides lost a lot of cavalry in this action. The French got a bit headstrong and got cut off by squares. Remnants are escaping but they are pretty much used up. More troops are showing up but they have a longer way to go since we used the "fall back" style of defense (which means that we fall back on our reserves while they have to march further to get to us).

We are close in points. I believe it is a Draw at this point.

This game reinforced to me how useless it is to fight on "the island" that area of land that is between the rivers on the south side of Leipzig. I sent forces there (from the Lindenau front) that now I wish I had not. I would have done better to have just had them continue on to reinforce the main army. There is not much to gain by fighting in "the Island" area. I think the best thing about it is that it did draw off some of the troops that could have been fighting the Austrian reserves.

-----------------

MP Berlin

I am involved in a second MP game of Leipzig with Ludwig Schmidt and David Stotsenburgh (Allies) vs. John Sheffield, Aldo Miccio and Giovanni Colombo (French). We are playing the large map scenario "Bonus 7. Berlin Operations" ... 15 min. move format.

This scenario uses the huge Berlin operations map which includes the battlefields of Dennewitz and Grossbeeren. Potsdam, Wittenberg are also on the map as well as all of the area that was disputed by the Allies in the Fall of 1813.

So far both armies are making preliminary moves. The first day starts at 9 am and with the 15 min. moves the days go fast. We have about 20 turns left for the first day. Neither side has committed to an attack.

The game turns for these MP games average from 1-2 to 3-4 days to finish for both sides. Our MP Berlin game moves along a tad faster than the MP Leipzig game.

I am enjoying both games immensely. If you have never played in an MP game then you might find one of your senior officers and see if they can pair up with you for one. Maybe try for something reasonable to begin with and then expand out to something larger.

I feel that the MP games are the best way to understand the frustrations of the Napoleonic battles. You are not in control of the entire army - just a portion of it. Your partners will do things that frustrate you (just like they will think the same of you!!! :) ). However, you can get good advice while playing. Your superiors in the club will see how you play and offer you some good advice.

These MP games can be good extensions of the training games you played in when you joined the club. They offer you a chance to become a better player!

I always learn something from playing with other players. The French in the MP Leipzig game used squares with guns a lot. Its hard to defeat such a tactic without combined arms. Often the Allied commands are heavy in one arm over the other. The Russians have tons of cavalry and guns but not as much infantry. The Prussians have good infantry but not as much cavalry and guns. The Austrians have huge infantry battalions but their cavalry tends to be less than the French. Artillery is similar to the Prussians.

Our teams are dedicated and we are having fun as well. Hope you can sign up for an MP game sometime soon. :thumbsup:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

Post subject: Re: MP Game Update
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:23 am 

Good write up Bill! Glad you're all having fun! :D

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support