Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 pm 

Good day gentlemen,
I had thought about playing some small scenarios online instead of PBEM but as I never have played any HPS/JTS game that way I wonder how good it works at all, so if anyone has experience with playing HPS/JTS games online please share it with the community, I'm sure other will be interested too.
:frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:47 am 

I highly suggest you try it out. It is a blast. When at the two Tiller Cons I attended I played both the ACW and Nap series via LAN and it was a lot of fun.

Caution: you will not have the advantage of watching the replay over and over again as per PBEM. You will need to watch the screen for each move. Once its done you cant replay it. So if you miss a unit moving from cover to cover too bad. Its over and done with! :smug:

But the games go faster if that is your style. There is nothing like reporting a 24 turn scenario in one night's play ;)

I highly suggest nothing larger than a medium sized game. Large battles are just too much to do over the LAN.

Also - MP games are possible but not practical over the internet. Lag issues can kill a game.

I cannot play internet games no matter what I do I cannot get my firewall to allow the game to open. It denies the game access. Have been over this many times and no matter what suggestions I got it just never works.

LAN play is best. No internet issues. Rich Hamilton set up the LAN at Tiller Con and even there he had issues. He had to deal with different types of PCs and each series of systems had their issues.

If you have problems setting up a game you can always email Rich at the help desk. Also Ernie may have a tip or two.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:27 am 

Thanks Bill, sounds like it has its benefits.
If something slips your attention on the screen it's not different to what can happen on the battlefield, overall it sounds like an improved form of FoW.
And the faster pace would surely be especially good for phased gameplay that I prefer.
I will see if I get the chance to play scenarios that way.

One thing, what about doing saves?
Lets say you just want to play some turns but not the complete scenario, could at some point a save be done to continue later?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:55 pm 

To check out how your firewall will react, just start a game as NEW- Direct PLAY HOST and your firewall SHOULD show a message about needing to allow the program to run. There should be a way to tell your firewall to ALLOW the game to play.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club