Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It Only Takes One
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:45 am 

Woe is me. :frenchoops: My epic 1809 Campaign with Sir Muddy has ended disatrously. After a string of major victories, I conceded that my first attempt to cross the Danube was a Major Defeat for the French, expecting that this would lead to a re-match, 2nd crossing. Alas, I've just learned that regardless of how many times they have been defeated, the Austrians need only one Major Victory to win the Campaign. :frenchshock:

That said, this latest encounter with Sir Muddy featured the usual, hotly contested battles and his stubborn defense in the penultimate battle (5th Korps' attempt to escape across the Danube at Linz) bled Massena's IVC white, leading to his victory in the last battle.

Congratulations Muddy!

Regards,

Paco

Post subject: Re: It Only Takes One
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:42 pm 

Congrats Muddy on a fine victory!

Yes, the outcomes for that branch are such that a Draw or Minor Defeat for the French would result in the battle of Brunn or some follow on battle. If the French lose a Major Defeat they lose the campaign.

The Battle of Aspern-Essling was seen as a minor setback to Napoleon's quest to cross the Danube with his full army. Had he lost a significant amount of his forces things might have been different. Figure that a Major Defeat in this situation means that a lot of the French army got trapped on the wrong side of the Danube and Napoleon has to call off the campaign.

My newer campaigns tell the players the outcomes per victory level. I can do the same for this campaign (and the individual Wagram campaign as well) by inserting the text in the Outcome Dialog area. Wont take long and should be in the next update. Thanks for pointing this out. I will ONLY do this for those outcomes that terminate the campaign. Obviously I cant go back and add in text that tells the player every outcome per victory level as I did in Marengo.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:58 pm 

Congrats to Sir Muddy! :frenchcool

No worries, Maréchal, I am sure, soon enough, you'll be back to taking the names and numbers of every noble & royal in Europe! :frenchhappy:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:17 pm 

This doesn't feel like a victory. Paco defeated my armies in nearly every engagement (there may have been a draw or two) and then placed a bid to end his crossing of the Danube when he realized that his troops were going to suffer too heavily in the crossing.

My hat is off to Marechal Paco for his professional handling of the French armies. A very tough opponent whom I rarely have the pleasure of defeating on the field of battle.

Given the abrupt ending of the campaign -- where we both were dispirited by the outcome -- we have agreed to play the 2-day Wagram battle as recompense and as a proper ending to a long campaign.

God Save the King!