Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 am 

I would like to salute my opponent Christian Rizo on finally defeating me after 517 turns (and two years!) in the Jena Auerstedt operational scenario #00a_1. Weimar Arrives!

My strategy was to unite and concentrate the entire Prussian/Saxon army to the east of the Saale River, fighting delay actions and skirmishes where necessary, until I could engage the French in battle on my terms. Once concentrated in sufficient numbers I decided to try to engage the French in defensive battles on ground of my choosing in the afternoons, soaking up their attacks, and then withdrawing under the cover of darkness in order to keep the initiative and avoid being out-manoeuvred or overwhelmed by the French.

So, most of the significant action took place in the north-eastern quarter of the map and three significant battles took place centred around Gaaschwitch on the west bank of the Eslter River, and then further north centred around Lindau and Zschorgula following a prolonged pursuit by the French and numerous skirmishes. The French attacks were conducted with ferocity and skill but each time I managed to hold my position until nightfall and then fall back, having inflicted more casualties on the French than my Prussian/Saxon army sustained, and putting me well into the minor victory points.

After the last battle I sensed that I was about to be outflanked and overwhelmed by the French and so I decided to try to withdraw my exhausted army to the east during the night and over the Elster bridges at Zeitz. Despite a hot French pursuit I succeeded in finding safety over the river. I hoped the French would make costly attempts at crossing the river but I probably defended the crossings too heavily instead of pulling back and trying to lure then across.

In the end, after some fruitless bombardment, the French decided instead to head for the exit hexes in the north. By the time I had repaired the bridges and set off in pursuit of the French in the hope of engaging them in battle again, it was too late. I started the last day with a minor victory, but, despite not firing a single shot, I saw this evaporate as the French began to exit the map. I offered my opponent my sword on turn 517 once a major defeat was inevitable.

Christian is an excellent and tough opponent and deserves his victory for his tactical and operational abilities and patience. Jena-Auerstedt is a great game with some challenging but fascinating scenarios. Highly recommended.

~ 1st Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Regiment of Foot Guards ~

Last edited by Antony Barlow on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:13 am 

An incredible sounding battle Antony! :D

Congrats to you & Christian on what might be the longest played game, turn wise, in Club history and a very fascinating sound one too! :frenchsalute: :thumbsup:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 pm 

Well done lads! I think this calls for drinks all around on Sir Muddy's tab!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:56 pm 

Amazing!
Breaking contact like that over and over is very challenging, and congrats to Christian for outflanking you!

A few years back Tom Moore and I played I think nearly 300 turns of Eckmuhl to a bloody draw but you guys sure have us beat!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 am 

:frenchsalute:

Wow! Congratulations for both of you!

Losses? Numbers?

:frenchvive:

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 pm 

Exemplary achievement not only for the involved officers but for the club.

Cezary Pluskwa wrote:
Losses? Numbers?

Selfies? :frenchlol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 am 

So you lost because your opponent legged it off the board? How's that? :french???:

Congratulations though... it's a proper slog.

I'm currently fighting a manouevre Battle of Eckmuhl (HPS) vs. General Schmidgall. I'm the Austrians and he is the French. That game is 534 turns but we're only on turn 203. We have another 6 years to go, at this rate.. :frenchcharge:

Lt Serena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am 

Well done! Amazing to hear of a game that plays out that long. Usually this one is decided before that (either way).

Exit hexes ... they represent the ability of the French to outflank the Prussian army and take Halle, an important town to the north, and cut Prussia off from its territories to the west. Brunswick's army was positioned to the west initially looking for the French army to approach from that direction. When instead they came in from the south he had to "hotfoot" it to the east to link up with the rest of the Prussian army.

Its a hard one to win as the Allies and congrats to you, Tony, on lasting that long. I mean face it .. the French army of 1806 had just won a major campaign and would have been hard to beat for any army, including one commanded by the Iron Duke.

A toast to two fine members.

I am in a game with Jim Breckinridge that started in 2015. Its from the 1814 game called "Maneuver on the Marne" featuring the 1815 armies of France and Prussia. I highly recommend it as a team game :)

We are past turn 70 of 190. Jim's is needing a new PC so our game is on hold. I love all sizes of battles in this series. The big ones are special and take a certain level of dedication to complete. I hope that both army commanders award some sort of medal to the two participants for finishing up this one. Well done!

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:25 am 

I also want to congratulate Antony, my favorite Brit :frenchwink:
For those interested, here is the big battle around Lindau on october 12th, this is the situation at 3.00pm. Prussians hold very well around Lindau but their right wing is about ready to collapse...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJpNyrXbhvsWDVMOXZrNlowZW8/view?usp=sharing

Meanwhile, in north, at Bad Kösen, Frenchies are crossing Saale River in front of Prussians who are running away...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJpNyrXbhvsOGhaRXJ2MGdxMXc/view?usp=sharing