Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Battle of Dennewitz
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 am 

Guys - I think it appropriate to comment on Dennewitz as its coming up on the anniversary date of the battle in 1813.

In the scenarios in the Campaign Leipzig game I am updating the arrival of the Russians/Swedes to be much later. Some of the Russians will not arrive at all.

The Swedish cavalry that enters first in the reinforcement list is not being affected. Its the Russians that arrive soon after that will be affected.

You can find differing accounts of when the rest of the Allies arrived or which ones participated in the battle.

From what I could see there were some Russian hussars that arrived later to help secure the right flank of the Allied line. There were some other troops as well.

Here is what I suggest for players of Dennewitz to do so that you enjoy a more historical battle:

1. Bring on the troops but halt them at Blondsdorf, hex 27, 64.
2. The Swedes may probe forward to Seehausen, hex 40, 69 but may move no further southeast.

Once the 6pm turn arrives all restrictions are lifted on the Swedes. For the Russians - have them move no further southeast than Seehausen, hex 40, 69.

Once the next update comes out you will not have to use these "courtesy" rules. The arrival times will be much later and you will be able to move your forces as you see fit. Basically the Russians will arrive too late to retake places like Golsdorf or Dennewitz.

In my current game with Ettore Lo Bue I am using the courtesy rules. Once the 6pm turn comes I will be free to move the Russians forward to better defend Seehausen (my Swedes have retaken it from his cavalry brigade he posted there ....).

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm 

Interesting Bill.
This is one of my favorite scenarios in all of the games...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:45 pm 

The way I see it if the French are not hampered by the presence of the Russians it will make it more of a challenge for the Prussians. Once they the Russians show up the battle wont be totally over but they will not have the same influence that they do now.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:38 am 

I put a bit feedback up for "058 Dennewitz: The Cauldron", a lot of it can be put to use for Dennewitz in general and so for the in.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15866

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 am 

I read your topic. See my response. Also I used this OB for the battle: http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/n ... 813IAG.pdf

Your Saxon numbers don't match up with that Nafziger OB I cite. Quite a bit higher.

These next two months will be very busy for me as I try to finish off the project I am working on so I know I wont have time for the Dennewitz update then. Probably right after it as its been on my list for some time.

NWC Founding Member