Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Battle of Leipzig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm 

The Battle of Leipzig - 16-19 October 1813 - the largest land battle in history prior to the First World War....

It was here that the Allies finally brought the full weight of their military might together at one location to fight Napoleon's vaunted "La Grande Armee'" and win the great battle.

Leipzig does not get the book time like Waterloo does and its a shame. There is a real dearth of books on the topic. Nafziger's chapters in his 3rd volume of the 1813 campaign do a good job but so much more is needed. Digby Smith's book was filled with a lot of quotes - and really did not do the battle justice.

I would love to see a large volume or two volume set on the battle complete with nice maps and a day to day OB in the back.

Hoping that someone will write a better book on the battle in my lifetime.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:56 pm 

Leggiere has as decent description in his recent book on the Army of Silesia. He is working on a book on the Army of Bohemia which he says will really get into Dresden and Leipzig..so, in a few years...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm 

Bill, I wish someone would do a game about it. Er ah wait a minute,,,, :scottishduh:

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

Ok Ed, funny man! LOL

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 pm 

Paco and I are half way through day 1 of the full 3-day scenario. I am enjoying the game tremendously. So much maneuvering ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 pm 

Muddy - glad you are enjoying the game. Sorry that there is just so much movement to do but oh well - it IS the largest battle of the wars! LOL

"Toto - we aint at Teugn-Hausen anymore" :frenchlol:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am 

Paco and I are nearing the end of the first day... its been a terribly violent encounter but the French have gotten the better of the Allied armies as Napoleon moves west -- the French have the numbers against the Allied blocking forces. Remember that the great bulk of the Allied armies are east of the river and must capture Liepzig or find alternative crossing points.

In the north, the Allies (under Blucher but reinforced with Russian elements) have been crushed and are in headlong retreat towards the western bridges. The Russians have been trying to destroy the north-south bridges to keep Napoleon's armies apart but that was only partly successful.

In the south, Napoleon has not pushed his drive towards the west but has rather contented himself with destroying anything that the Allies can put in front of him. The Allies managed to cross a sizable force in the south and began a drive northward to slow the French westward movement. This has resulted in a rather large battle -- but again, its Day 1 and the French have the numbers.

The Allies have suffered 60K casualties so far. The question is... how many casualties can they take and still meet the victory conditions -- 35K points? Victory can only be achieved by the Allies if they can move enough troops off the western map edge (and prevent the French from doing the same).

Great fun despite the horrendous losses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm 

I am also playing a 3 day Leipzig vs Zafer Ejder scenario designed by Bill Peters as the French.

We have completed the first day also and the French are currently in good shape.

Lots of movement of units by both side with major actions in and around Halle by the Army of the Bober vs The Army of Bohemia.

The French have only had to take on the Austrian Army of Bohemia so far.

Day 2 will begin shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 am 

Ken - as Paco can tell you, that big operational scenario was one of the hardest in the game for me to design. The jury is still out on it as I have yet to get someone to play me (Allies). As my design time is so demanding I am not sure when I can get to it.

I would like to do some more looking at the scenario again to see if my planning on the march ranges for the French for the first day were correct. My Allied plan was similar to that of the Allies: avoid combat with Napoleon and pick off the stragglers. The idea is that the French cannot be big and powerful everywhere.

NWC Founding Member