Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GB Phantom search
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:30 am 

Is there a trick to finding a "Phantom co" of a unit using "find leader of units"?????

Some games already have a multiple leaders listed as a "phantom" and others are created due to promotion after original leader is killed or captured.

when you search for that elusive "leader" all "phantom" units come up.

If a perfect world these leader units should have their own specific designation.

It would make it much easier to find them.

Last edited by Clint Matthews on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GB Phantom search
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:47 am 

I went to using fictitious or regimental CO. names for most of the newer games I worked on. Otherwise no, if all the name of the unit is is "Phantom" you wont be able to locate the leader on the map using the Find Units Leaders feature. You could hunt for a unit in that leader's command though and then it would get you closer to the unit's location.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:34 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:
I went to using fictitious or regimental CO. names for most of the newer games I worked on. Otherwise no, if all the name of the unit is is "Phantom" you wont be able to locate the leader on the map using the Find Units Leaders feature. You could hunt for a unit in that leader's command though and then it would get you closer to the unit's location.

thanks for responding Bill.

I definitely would prefer fictitious or regimental CO, as you say, rather than the generic "phantom". It sure would make finding those guys easier when the fur flies. I am getting much better at knowing where everyone is.........but sometimes (in the very large Leipzig scn's) things get scrambled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 pm 

I noticed that the 1813-14 games have a lot of Phantom commander names. Maybe if i ever get time I will put a number after each of them so that they are different from each other making it easier for you guys to hunt them during game play. I could not coordinate each Phantom number throughout all of the OBs - it would have to be unique only within the same OB. Thus a brigade commander for a Hussar regiment in one OB may have another Phantom # than the same brigade in another OB file. Just wouldnt have time to go back and find all of the names of the regimental commanders at this point. Nafziger and others often did not give brigade commander names ....

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
I noticed that the 1813-14 games have a lot of Phantom commander names. Maybe if i ever get time I will put a number after each of them so that they are different from each other making it easier for you guys to hunt them during game play. I could not coordinate each Phantom number throughout all of the OBs - it would have to be unique only within the same OB. Thus a brigade commander for a Hussar regiment in one OB may have another Phantom # than the same brigade in another OB file. Just wouldnt have time to go back and find all of the names of the regimental commanders at this point. Nafziger and others often did not give brigade commander names ....

Could I do that for my personal use?
Can I add that designation (Phantom 1 etc) to the fall.oob for each phantom leader?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm 

Yes you could since that does not constitute it being something that can affect game play. Just know that anytime an update comes out that modifies that OB file you will have to do it all over again.

NWC Founding Member