Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CEF - Update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:00 am 

Got the Units.bmp file from Mark Adams. I looked it over today and it looks good. I will do a more extensive check of the images tomorrow.

All that is left now of the units artwork is the 3D artillery images. There are only about 17 of those. Each uses two image sets - one for the limbered and one for unlimbered mode.

This is good that we have this before the Thanksgiving and Christmas time hits as those are Mark's busiest times of the year. I would expect that the 3D artwork may have to wait to get to me until after the New Year as he has to set all of the images in place. The infantry and cavalry in particular have a lot of images.

As this is my last Nap Battles series game I am going to do a very thorough job of reviewing the artwork. So far I have yet to hear anything back from anyone about the RBR artwork. Seeing that that game had over 100 additional images over CEF I feel that we did a good job on that one. CEF is going to be a fun game to play. Whether you are driving through the snows of winter or racing along the roads in spring you guys are sure to enjoy the many scenarios in the game.

Question: does anyone have any source that outlines if the Wurttemberg Foot and Horse batteries were present in the campaign. I dug through James Arnold's second volume on the campaign and can only find infantry and cavalry in the OBs in the Appendix. I need to dig deeper and probably search through "The Napoleon Series" pages to see if they list anything about them. Bill Rawkins' book on the Wurttemberg army had nothing to say in particular about the 1806-07 campaign in Poland. There was one horse battery at this time. The foot guns had been spread out as battalion guns earlier but by this time were formed into regular batteries/companies.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

Post subject: Re: CEF - Update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:24 am 

The RBR unit pictures are excellent. I like PzC's method of showing artillery pieces and mode of transport. It would add to game quality if a 6lb. cannon or horses head and fore-body were behind the soldier when clicking through the enemy's position on the map.

A bad reference is (Napoleonic Armies by Ray Johnson) that the Wurttemberg division of 12 battalions, 15 squadrons, and 18 guns (6,500 men) served under Massena's right wing during the Friedland campaign.
https://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/ ... 807FAE.pdf They're not listed in Nafziger's OOB which includes Massena's forces though.
They were under Vandamme and kicked off the siege lines at Kolberg in May according to a Polish source at wikipedia. Probably a 'Polen stronk' type BS report. Polish conscripts were ground to meat at Kolberg just to resolve the siege in July.

https://archive.org/details/napoleonscampaig00petruoft This book (pg. 258+) is probably a better source, Vandamme was in command of the Wurttembergers throughout the winter and spring sieges of Prussian strongholds. He was subordinated to Jerome's "army" of Silesia during the Summer of 1807. 5640 Wurttemberg troops (the entire division considering siege attrition) were listed in Jerome's strength reports in June during Friedland. Which makes sense due to Jerome Bonaparte's marriage to the princess of Wurttemberg. I don't believe the Wurttembergers were involved in the Franco-Russian battles. Massena replenished his V Corps from Jerome's garrisons. Perhaps ad-hoc elements of Wurttembergers but mostly Bavarians were sent to Massena's roster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:42 am 

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:31 pm 

Yes, Wurttemberg infantry is listed in James Arnold's second volume being under Loison's division. What I will do is just add in the foot artillery to that formation and put the horse artillery with the cavalry regiment. Right, they were not involved in the French vs. Russian battles but in the variant Spring OB I added them in anyway. That OB is all about if the Russians didn't come out of winter quarters and more forces were released to fight at the front instead. Thus Augereau's VII Corps is still intact and so on.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:40 pm 

My favorite what-if would be a coalition naval invasion and offensive in Pommerania. All you'd have to do is map out 30,000 sq. km. What do you say?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 pm 

Haha, Geoff, right off the bat I ruled out the Swedish Pommerania fight and the siege of Danzig relief attempts. One for the lack of gamer interest and the other because when I pondered doing all of that mapping the map editor broke!
:frenchlol: :frenchlol1:

Must have been coincidence ;)

NWC Founding Member