Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:41 pm 

Hi folks - another installment of notes on the update progress. The Battle of Bergen OB project is on hold so that I can continue standardizing the weapon ranges and values in the PDT files of Campaign Austerlitz. Continuing on from Jena-Auerstaedt I moved on to Austerlitz and began building a master PDT file for the game's weapons. I ran into a few snags which slowed me down but otherwise its coming along well.

Also: I was noticing that the French German and Dutch allied uniform numbers were off (Batavian and Waldeck) so I fixed the numbering for those. I need to look over all of the minor allies and see if they are correct.

Major update for the weapons: I am adding in the Russian gun types that are missing. We will have the following types:

Russian:
12lb Medium
12lb Light
20lb Licorne

6lb Medium
6lb Light
10lb Licorne

The horse batteries will have a 6lb Light section and a 10lb Licorne section of almost equal sizes. (yes, I know they were equal historically but in the OBs they are not and I cant go back and pull out the units, change the OB strengths, then go back and add in the units again in the .scn files - just too time consuming)

While I had enlisted Bill Cann's help with the names of the batteries I am going to leave them as is. The main thing here is to add in the different types of gun types that were missing. New letter codes were added to the Weapon.dat file. So far here is what the updated list looks like:

A Fr 12lb
B Fr 8lb
C Fr 6lb
D Au/Bav 12lb
E Au/Bav 6lb
F Fr 4lb
G Au 3lb
H Fr Howitzer
I Pr/Sx 12lb
J Pr/Sx 7lb How
K Pr/Sx 6lb
L Lance
M Musket
N Ru 12lb Med
O Ru 6lb Med
P Pike
Q Cav Carbine
R Rifle
S Sword
T Ru/Mil Musket
U Ru 10lb Lic
V Br 9lb
W Br 6lb
X Pr/Sx 4lb
Y Pr/Sx 8lb
Z Fr 3lb
a Br Musket
d Br Militia
e Ru 20lb Lic
f Ru 12lb Lt
g Ru 6lb Lt
h Batav 6lb
r Rocket

I have yet to see that "Y" type weapon used in the OBs - Pr/Sx 8lb. Not sure what that was supposed to be. The Pr/Sx 4lb gun also is looked a bit suspect. Lots has happened since I did this game and I no longer have my design folder for the game. Along with all of my older work (Bautzen and before) they were lost on my hard drive when it was accidentally dropped. I am working with what I can find on my own or via friends who have books.

For now the main thing is to standardize the values. If I am not sure of a weapon (like that Pr/Sx 8lb gun) then I will just have to give it my best guess. The values will mirror Eylau which now has the most up to date values.

Each game will come with a Weapons Effectiveness Chart (WEC.pdf) so you can quickly determine a range and value for each weapon type.

I have to change a lot of the Russian gun weapon letters today. Not sure if I will finish but Austerlitz will be fully updated by tomorrow.

Also: I am going to see about fixing that "Corsican Chasseur" unit in the OB (5 squadrons). Currently its a cavalry unit but it should have been an infantry unit. From what I see in the OB here are the three Corsican units that show up:

Fought in Bavaria, Austria and Moravia:
Tirailleur du Corse (Tir. du Corse in the OB)
Chasseurs Corse (currently a cavalry unit but should be an infantry unit)

Fought in Italy:
Carab. Corse (Carabiniers)

As we do not have infantry images for the Chasseurs Corse I am asking anyone here that knows their uniforms to pick between the Tir. du Corse OR the Carab Corse images and let me know which ones you think best match the Chasseurs. Any help is greatly appreciated. I could use the current image as the Units.bmp image and then just pick the 3D infantry image that best fits it.

And that will conclude my work on Austerlitz. I will fall behind on my Panzer Campaigns work (3 games) if I spend too much time on these updates.

Chasseur Corse (currently a cavalry unit)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:28 am 

D.E.D.I.C.A.T.I.O.N.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:33 pm 

Regarding the Corsicans:
https://sites.google.com/site/tirailleu ... real-corso

When I understand the text correctly there was a Corsican Legion formed for the defense of Corsica, supposed to be made out of 5 bat.(a 6th one designated for the Camp at Bologne) each with 5 co..
It seems that only a formed bataillon d’élite was ready to join the French army in Italy, that one seems to be the Carab. Corse we have in the game. And its uniform is pretty confusing as it uses the same as the chasseurs a cheval.

Now, I do not see any confirmation that the 6th bat. was really formed and a part of the forces at the Bologne camp but I think this was the famous Tirailleurs Corses battalion. Wikipedia notes:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirailleurs_corses
That the "bataillon des chasseurs corses" is officially called "bataillon de tirailleurs corses"

So there only was a bataillon d’élite of the Corsican light infantry in the French army of Italy, in the brigade Gilly of the division Seras. And the Tirailleurs Corses with the Grande Armée. Another Corsican unit wasn't found by me, neither in the OOBs for the Grande Armée in 1805(not even back when it was called Armée des Cotes de l'Ocean), and also nothing in the OOBs for the French army in Italy.

The only other I find is a Corsican Legion of 1370 men as part of the Corps of St Cyr that marched up the Italian peninsula and was North of Venice in late November 1805.
As I don't see that anything of St Cyr is in the game these Corsicans can't be meant.

That leaves me to concluded that these Chasseurs Corse that supposedly fought with the Grande Armée should be removed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Regarding the Corsicans:
https://sites.google.com/site/tirailleu ... real-corso

When I understand the text correctly there was a Corsican Legion formed for the defense of Corsica, supposed to be made out of 5 bat.(a 6th one designated for the Camp at Bologne) each with 5 co..
It seems that only a formed bataillon d’élite was ready to join the French army in Italy, that one seems to be the Carab. Corse we have in the game. And its uniform is pretty confusing as it uses the same as the chasseurs a cheval.

Now, I do not see any confirmation that the 6th bat. was really formed and a part of the forces at the Bologne camp but I think this was the famous Tirailleurs Corses battalion. Wikipedia notes:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirailleurs_corses
That the "bataillon des chasseurs corses" is officially called "bataillon de tirailleurs corses"

So there only was a bataillon d’élite of the Corsican light infantry in the French army of Italy, in the brigade Gilly of the division Seras. And the Tirailleurs Corses with the Grande Armée. Another Corsican unit wasn't found by me, neither in the OOBs for the Grande Armée in 1805(not even back when it was called Armée des Cotes de l'Ocean), and also nothing in the OOBs for the French army in Italy.

The only other I find is a Corsican Legion of 1370 men as part of the Corps of St Cyr that marched up the Italian peninsula and was North of Venice in late November 1805.
As I don't see that anything of St Cyr is in the game these Corsicans can't be meant.

That leaves me to concluded that these Chasseurs Corse that supposedly fought with the Grande Armée should be removed.

Ok - good to know. Because this is only one unit for the main theater and one unit in the OB for Caldiero is I am going to leave it as is for the infantry types but I will work on removing the cavalry version of the unit of Chasseurs and replace it with the infantry version. I am not sure where I saw the OB that has them in those formations but I know I wouldn't have added them in just for the fun of it. Some OB had them in those formations and I will leave them there. The players that want to be historical about it can move the unit to the edge of the board and remove it if they think that the unit was not there.

The main thing is to get the uniform numbering correct and work on the Russian artillery types too.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:18 pm 

OOB wise these ominous "Chasseurs Corse" are only in the 1805.oob and Augsburg.oob. And there they are in the same place that the Carab. Corse usually takes, 5th Division of Seras Brigade of Gilly. I can only suggest to replace the "Chasseurs Corse" in these OOBs simply with the "Carab. Corse" unit, "Chasseurs Corse" is obviously a different/wrong depiction of the "Carab. Corse".

Uniform wise the "Carab. Corse" seem to have carried a uniform roughly similar to that of the French light. the above linked page describes:
"A new uniform is intended for him to replace his outfit in brown-brown cloth. This one is described as follows: Habit jacket of dark celestial blue cloth, panties of the same, vest of white cloth. The lapels and the facings of the coat are daffodil, the collar dark celestial blue. white metal buttons with the inscription Corsican Legion. For hair shako.It seems that this outfit was first distributed only to the elite battalion formed with the help of each of the rifle companies formed in September."
What ever it is, it is surely not the Chasseur uniform that it currently has in the OOBs. The following OOBs need to get the uniform number corrected to 8 instead of 19:
Caldiero_Campaign.oob
Italian_Campaign.oob
Moravia.oob
Moravia_Alt.oob

And for the "Tir. du Corse" you want to correct some OOBs to make sure it has NOT the usual brown uniform.
The following OOBs use the French legere uniform(number 8) instead of the brown uniform(number 164):
Austerlitz_cav-regt.oob
Austerliz.oob
Danube_Campaign.oob
Italian_Campaign.oob
Ulm_Campaign.oob
All other OOBs use the brown uniform.

I hope this completes you confusion. :-)

To sum it up:
1. Replace all "Chasseurs Corse" with the single "Carab. Corse" unit.
2. Give all "Carab. Corse" a French legere uniform(number 8).
3. Give all the "Tir. du Corse" the correct uniform(a modified French legere uniform based on number 8 or 9).

Last edited by Christian Hecht on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CORRECTED based on new sources found below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:35 am 

Thanks, Christian! Really good work on your part.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:57 pm 

Corsican units tended to wear brown uniforms, but I believe that the Tirailleurs Corses did not wear brown as often depicted. I have several sources that show that they wore a uniform similar to the French light infantry but with green facings. I once had but can't now locate a report that shows that the battalion did not requisition brown cloth, but rather blue and a reply from a former brigade commander to an artist's inquiry when Tirailleurs du Po and Tirailleurs Corses were brigaded together that their uniforms were basically the same as those of the French light infantry except for the drummers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:21 pm 

Hi Theron :) .... I will look into it before I assign them image numbers.

Hope you are doing well. Still in Idaho?

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:48 am 

Another source confirms that the Tirailleurs corses seem to have used a blue uniform, pretty similar to that of the legere infantry but with more green:
https://sites.google.com/site/tirailleu ... 804---1811

This pictures is pretty detailed:
Les Tirailleurs Corses - Planche d'André JOUINEAU
Chasseur - Sergent major - habit de carabinier - Habit de voltigeur - Carabinier - Drapeau - Fanions de Compagnies - Tambour - Officier - Sapeur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:57 am 

That means a new unit graphic should be made based on the current legere pictures (number 8 or 9) modified to depict the Tir. du Corse like in the above graphic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:19 pm 

Not going to be seeing any new graphics. That would be for someone with artwork modding experience to work on.

I did a ton of artwork for the Wagram updates. Just about lost my mind ;)

Today I finished up with the Corsican units. Removed all of the cavalry squadrons from the scenarios and substituted them with the new foot unit. I really got lucky: there were only TEN scenarios to update. The uniform image numbers were changed where needed. Carabiniers are using the Fr. Legere images. I still have to check the German minor powers' uniforms. The one for Waldeck is using a Hessian image. I found the correct Waldeck images and just have to change the numbers. I noted other errors too. I need to create the graphics spreadsheet that will tell me what numbers are used for all of the troops. I want to publish it with the update. "The Armies of Austerlitz" PDF will be a big help as the uniforms are correct in that document.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm 

Today made great strides with the Austerlitz OB. I also am needing to correct some of the Russian artillery image numbers. Here are how the Russian images are allocated:

(read Units.bmp #/3D#)

77/7 - Russian Guard Foot artillery image - the Gd Lt Foot sections were using the Line Foot Art image ...

78/8 - Russian Guard Horse artillery image

79/9 - Russian Line Foot Artillery image

80/10 - Russian Line Horse Artillery image - for whatever reason this image was NOT being used. The stem of the plume is clearly seen in the game image. Its shows different from the Line Foot artillery image.

I will work on this as I change each Russian gun section. In particular, the Russian Guard Foot Light Artillery battery image was incorrect. I had them using a Russian Line Foot artillery image. A quick check of the recent Eylau game shows that the Guard foot artillery crew all wore the same uniform. The Guard Horse had their own uniform.

At this point the Austerlitz OB is still in progress. I am still adding in the names of the battery commanders. Once I finish with that I will have Alexandr Zaytzev look over the names and make corrections based on his advice. Then I will work on the rest of the OBs.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:12 am 

Really great job, Bill, well done!

Réserve de Cavalerie, La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:
Not going to be seeing any new graphics. That would be for someone with artwork modding experience to work on.

I did a ton of artwork for the Wagram updates. Just about lost my mind ;)

Maybe there is a solution for this, without your losing your mind.
I checked Eylau at the Tiller page and saw this:
There we see the use of a blue uniform for the Tir. du Corse that pretty much mirrors the above plate.
Question is if it is legally OK to use that art in Austerlitz, not sure how the terms with the artist are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 pm 

Hi Christian - John owns the rights to use the artwork so there is no need to have to get with Joe Amoral again on this.

I will add the Units.bmp image to the one for Austerlitz. Since the 3D Legere image is close enough I wont worry about using the 3D images. Its a lot of work to shift the icons down the page for me and I dont want to bother Mark with it.

Hope that works for you....

NWC Founding Member