Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 pm 

I am planning a Battle of Ligny for the next Campaign Waterloo update using a portion of the Fleurus map I made for the RBR game. Rich Hamilton approved the project so I am going to start work on it this week. I would like to know if there are a couple of guys that would like to look it over with me.

I am using the French and Prussian forces from the 1814 game that is in that 1815 OB I used. The units that fought at the battle plus extras that didn't for what if situations. It should not take me too long to set it up. The main thing is to convert the uniform numbers for the units to coincide with what is in the Waterloo game. Ultra Edit should be a big help.

Please let me know by May 15th if you are interested in helping out. Once I get two guys I will let you know in this thread.

You wont be asked to playtest the battle. Just look over the scenarios with me for errors I might make.

Being that I really like the Prussian army I am really looking forward to this project. Since I wont be making a full blown "Campaign 1815" game this will be about as best as I can offer. If I ever get time I will add in the Quatras Bras area to the Fleurus map and add that in too. Dont hold your breathe ;) LOL

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:50 pm 

I am really happy about this. I think your map better represents the field and I hope you raise those Prussian morale ratings a little bit..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:18 am 

Jim - see the 1815 OB from Campaign 1814 .... and I may end up tucking this battle into that game. Why? Well it would save me a lot of work in changing the artwork numbers ....

The usual Prussian morale values will apply that I have been using for Ligny. The big change will be a more normal level of morale ratings for the French. Well yes, that map will be different too. I thought of leaving that "Balloon Launch Hill" on the map but figured that it wasn't going to be used so I removed it. Check out the Fleurus-Ligny map from the RBR game.

Another big change for you Ligny - Prussian army fans will be the use of "Treffen" rather than the regiments fighting together. Thus the Fusilier battalion of one regiment will be in a "OB game brigade ORG" with another Fusilier battalion and a Jager detachment while two line battalions and a landwehr bn. will form the 2nd Treffen. Finally, the 3rd Treffen will be formed of a couple of line battalions or grenadier battalion(s). Cavalry squadrons will flank the entire brigade (Div level unit). Here is a sample from the 1815 OB from the Campaign 1814 game:

D 4 Brig/1AK
Begin
L 3 4 219 ObLt Schutter
B 1 Treffe/4B/1AK
Begin
L 2 4 227 Maj Stengel
U 725 4 V M 97 47 F/1 Westphalian IR13
U 731 4 V M 98 48 F/IR19 "7.RIR"
U 101 3 S P 102 52 Frewillige Jager
End
B 2 Treffe/4B/1AK
Begin
L 2 4 228 Maj Groeben
U 733 4 I M 98 48 1/IR19 "7.RIR"
U 734 4 I M 98 48 2/IR19 "7.RIR"
U 666 3 I T 100 50 1/4 Westphalian LWIR
U 665 3 I T 100 50 2/4 Westphalian LWIR
End
B 3 Treffe/4B/1AK
Begin
L 3 4 229 Maj Bünau
U 720 4 I M 96 46 1/1 Westphalian IR13
U 721 4 I M 97 47 2/1 Westphalian IR13
U 663 3 V T 100 50 3/4 Westphalian LWIR
U 141 5 D S 122 40 1/Brandenburg DR5
U 143 5 D S 122 40 2/Brandenburg DR5
U 8 5 B K 136 16 6lb Foot #15
End
S 300 138 Wagon/4B/1AK
End

Warren Bajan helped me out with a lot of the organization of the Treffen. I need to change the spelling on Treffe to Treffen.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:36 am 

Very good. I'd love to see you extent that map to cover Quatre Bras and maybe even Mont St Jean.

Réserve de Cavalerie, La Grande Armée

“Ask Before Activating Al”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 pm 

Al Amos wrote:
Very good. I'd love to see you extent that map to cover Quatre Bras and maybe even Mont St Jean.

QB I could probably do ... given time. Waterloo is out of the question. No funding for it. These "stylistic" + "Topo" maps I did for RBR take a LONG time to produce. Like 3x the normal time for a map ;). Its all of the hedge hexsides ..... that and I used TWO overlays for each map ... one for the topography and another for the Ferraris 1777 map.

My goal with the Fleurus map was to NOT include as much of the Campaign Waterloo game as possible. I purposely left the QB battlefield off of the map. There was nothing I could do about having Ligny or the other areas on the Fleurus map ....

Right now I am working on THREE panzer games plus these updates. Time is a limited quantity given that I cannot do the 12 hour days anymore .... I do six hours sometimes and that's a good day. During pre-release time I increase it but I have to watch it .... Today I started getting a recall of a time when I played softball in an empty parking lot as a kid.... yup, that is what happens just before I pass out.... A real pain and I know eventually I will have to quit using the PC altogether except for quick checks of my banking account, online buying.

So much to do ... never enough time or mental energy. I am back to reading books a bit more (after overdosing on reading novels in 2014 when I landed in Los Angeles-SF Valley). Got some good research work done last night .....

I look back on my work with some regrets - mainly that I didn't have the research materials I needed - a book would come out RIGHT after I finished one of the games that could have helped me - just couldn't delay releasing that game.. needed the money. But lack of effort will never be one of my regrets ....

I am glad to have this opportunity to correct the Austerlitz game. I really enjoyed working on it.

FYI - I now employ a Quality Control person to help me with the Panzer work. He looks over the Scenario Descriptions, setup, looks for roadblocks that end up on the map by accident, that kind of thing. He also writes up the "Getting Started" PDF which saves me a LOT of mental energy and time. While I loved writing "How To" guides in the past, the writing is very tedious for me now.

I have been told by one fellow that my Campaign Notes are written in a flowing style. Says I could write novels. Well that is one of my goals .. to write novels. I need to do some study on that first but hope to slowly work my way out of game design and into the novel writing biz. I could be anywhere and do that. An RV by a lake, cabin in the mountains, etc. Not as much to haul around in the way of hardware. I use two monitors for my work. Almost impossible for me to do it otherwise.

NWC Founding Member