Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: July for a newbie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:28 pm 

Having recently joined the club and a purchase of Leipzig, I have only two battles going to help me understand basic rules. I have a 60 turn battle battle of Grossbeeren with my friend Zafer Ejder, and a battle with Mark Nelms (esteemed mentor) as i play the Allies side in a 40 turn battle of Lowenberg. Presently i am doing well in Grossbeeren as the Allies had a lot of fixed troops. I am on turn 38 with a vic at this point. I anticipate a sound trashing of my troops in the next turns. Lowenberg is not pretty and I am trying my best to keep my opponent entertained. I have played the AI, and can achieve victories there, but good against remotes is not the same as good against the living(Hans Solo, sort of).

These are my initial battles, and I am afraid i am tainted from Civil war battles, where you attack with infantry and flank with cavalry. I am trying to decide how to deal with skirmishers, and I am not sure I am not proficient with lancers.

I thoroughly enjoy the games, but i feel I must unlearn what I have learned with ACWGC. Unfortunately I learn best from making mistakes, which is good for my opponents.

Send battle files if you think you can offer help.

Merci beaucoup!

Jim Garner

Post subject: Re: July for a newbie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:56 pm 

Welcome aboard, Jim :) Glad you bought Campaign Leipzig, one of the biggies I worked on.

Yes, unless you are the Einstein of Napoleonics, you will have a much steeper learning curve for this series. However, with the new updates coming out (Leipzig included) there are some rules that will help the defender. For instance infantry now can disorder when approaching cavalry if the option is "ticked" ... Cavalry disorders if it crosses a stream during melee ....

As I just sent off the updates for the 1813-14 games to Rich (Leipzig included) you should see these rules take effect in your games.

The key is to have a good understanding of the "Time and Space" concept of the battlefield. Knowing the movement rates and distances units can move to contact really makes or breaks your battle. Oh and a lot of good luck helps too!

:frenchvive1:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)