Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:20 am 

Hello everyone!

My name is Chiel and I recently bought John Tiller's Napoleonic Battles Waterloo. I've been trying to play the game (first) against the AI to really get the hang of it. Do you guys have any tips/advice? I've been watching the youtube series of Napoleonic PC Wargamers and that really convinced me to buy the game. I also bought the Civil war game Overland campaign, but that's another forum.

I'm a historian who currently works as a Data analyst. I've always been interested in the early modern time period and the Napoleonic wars. I've recently finished Andrew Roberts biography about Napoleon. I really enjoyed the book and the way Napoleon is represented.

Other games that I'm playing regarding the Napoleonic wars is Scourge of War: Waterloo. A great game in itself.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the digital highway!

Greetings,

Chiel

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am 

Bonjour

There are so many tips and tricks. Most important is to understand the different optional rules and how they can affect game play. Then there are all the modifyers for fire and melee. Also important is finding the right opponent for you. Whether you prefer house rules or none, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:23 pm 

We would appreciate it if you drop a line or two about the book in our Reading Room:
http://wargame.ch/board/nwc/viewforum.php?f=41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 am 

Hey Chiel,

Welcome aboard.

As a fellow Sous-Lieutenant, my number one tip would be patience, both in attack and defence. It's rarely worthwhile attacking before you are ready, and wait for the enemy to come to you when defending. You wont ever win in a turn, but you can easily throw away an advantage in a turn by over committing units.

In conjunction with that, try to keep your higher level units (brigades/divisons/corps) organised. The individual pieces are building blocks for higher level formations. Think of them like bricks in a house. Isolated units are prone to destruction, while masses together fight better.

Learn how to use skirmishers especially in defence. They don't necessarily produce lots of casualties, but they can severely hamper any attack. Be carefull because cavalry can overrun them without breaking stride.

Finally, be aware of the Rock/Paper/Scissors nature of Napoleonic warfare. Victory comes more regularly through the use of combined arms, rather than trying to have your infantry slog it out in massed frontal assaults.

Hope that helps

Vive l'Empereur :frenchvive:

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

-------------------------------------------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel"
Blackadder