Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:00 pm 

So I finished with the update to the Dennewitz map. The two files are available here for anyone to look over. I looked over the map to be sure that it was correct but may have missed removing field terrain where a road or pike runs through the hex. Map files goes in the Maps subfolder and the .scn file goes in the Scenarios subfolder.

I am waiting until the 4.07 revision comes out to playtest the scenario with Dean Webster. I will be posting updates in this thread after the game starts up.

I also plan on posting some images that compare the old and new versions of the setup and march routes of the Prussian 3rd Korps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:35 pm 

Hi Bill,

I have some observations while reading a book about the battle, it may be helpful.

The shallow but swampy was Ahe (Ager) creek.

Bridges over the creek can be crossed in Dennewitz, Rohrbeck and on the road from Bochow to Juterbog.

The terrain along the creek south of Juterbog was swampy, so Bertrand's IV Corps crossed Dennewitz, even though it was to bypass Juterbog from the south.

Dust from sandy roads and fields limited visibility on both sides, and was further increased by the smoke of artillery and musket fire during the battle.

So, the visibility should be decreased, maybe to 20-25 hexes, 2-2,5 kilometers.

Marshal Ney didn't see the situation at Gohlsdorf from his position south of Dennewitz.

September 6 was a hot day.

The night of September 6/7 was dark and gloomy, there was no drinking water on the battlefield, and the plain was strewn with corpses and wounded whose groans could be heard.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:35 pm 

Looking forward playing this.

BTW, what is up with 056_Dennewitz_HTH-Allied-Reinf.scn?
Obvious is that its 2 turns longer, and the scenario file differs in certain parts and so the units used in the scenario seem to be different but I can't get a clear pic of what exactly changed. And the scenario briefing doesn't give any explanation at all, not even the title suggests a difference from the normal 056_Dennewitz_HTH.scn, was maybe the wrong briefing put in?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:55 pm 

I am going to have to recall what that scenario is all about. After having put thousands of scenarios together I now find it hard to recall a lot of them. And why is the scenario number the same. Might be a scenario file that I accidentally put in a set of files for Rich to include in an update. I will check it out and see if I can come up with a good explanation for it.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:56 pm 

Cezary Pluskwa wrote:
Hi Bill,

I have some observations while reading a book about the battle, it may be helpful.

The shallow but swampy was Ahe (Ager) creek.

Bridges over the creek can be crossed in Dennewitz, Rohrbeck and on the road from Bochow to Juterbog.

The terrain along the creek south of Juterbog was swampy, so Bertrand's IV Corps crossed Dennewitz, even though it was to bypass Juterbog from the south.

Dust from sandy roads and fields limited visibility on both sides, and was further increased by the smoke of artillery and musket fire during the battle.

So, the visibility should be decreased, maybe to 20-25 hexes, 2-2,5 kilometers.

Marshal Ney didn't see the situation at Gohlsdorf from his position south of Dennewitz.

September 6 was a hot day.

The night of September 6/7 was dark and gloomy, there was no drinking water on the battlefield, and the plain was strewn with corpses and wounded whose groans could be heard.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to add in a new PDT file that used reduced visibility. That is one thing I forgot to do in the first version of the updated scenario file. I will work on that tomorrow and post the files again.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:58 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
I am going to have to recall what that scenario is all about. After having put thousands of scenarios together I now find it hard to recall a lot of them. And why is the scenario number the same. Might be a scenario file that I accidentally put in a set of files for Rich to include in an update. I will check it out and see if I can come up with a good explanation for it.

Thanks Bill.

Btw, any idea when we can expect 4.07 for the other games?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:11 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Looking forward playing this.

BTW, what is up with 056_Dennewitz_HTH-Allied-Reinf.scn?
Obvious is that its 2 turns longer, and the scenario file differs in certain parts and so the units used in the scenario seem to be different but I can't get a clear pic of what exactly changed. And the scenario briefing doesn't give any explanation at all, not even the title suggests a difference from the normal 056_Dennewitz_HTH.scn, was maybe the wrong briefing put in?

I dug into this scenario and found that its just a variant. For instance: Note where Bernadotte arrives at 1430 which is certainly not the time that he arrived on the field of battle.

I updated the scenario filename and title so that its now:

056a_Dennewitz_HTH-Allied-Reinf.scn - 056a. Battle of Dennewitz: Allies Arrive Earlier

The scenario description is MUCH shorter only stating that its a variant along with the other usual items such as rules to use, etc.

----------------------Scenario Description-----------------------------

Date: 6 September 1813 - Size: large - Location: 40 miles southwest of Berlin

Scenario Briefing: (Variant) In this version of the battle, certain Allied reinforcements arrive sooner.

Recommended Rules: [Default]

Note: Designed for PBEM/HTH play

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It uses the current map. I sent the new file off to Rich Hamilton to insert into the 4.07 update and asked him to remove the older scenario file that used 056 for its number. The new number would be 056a for this scenario to avoid confusion. Club admin that had put this second 056 scenario into the DoR should wait to change the names once the update is out just in case it doesn't make it into the 4.07 update. Customers may have to manually delete the older version. Rich probably will update the build which would remove the older version and replace it with this newer one.

I wont attach the new file here as I want to be sure that it actually gets added. The only changes were the title, filename and Scen Descr.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:37 pm 

Thanks again Bill.

Bill Peters wrote:
Club admin that had put this second 056 scenario into the DoR should wait to change the names once the update is out just in case it doesn't make it into the 4.07 update. Customers may have to manually delete the older version. Rich probably will update the build which would remove the older version and replace it with this newer one.

Will put that on my to-do list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:35 pm 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Bill Peters wrote:

Thanks Bill.

Btw, any idea when we can expect 4.07 for the other games?

Rich told me today a date but I am loathe to share it. If he wants to post the date that's up to him. I consider info like that privileged info. It wont be long is all I will say.

He also said that the updated 056a. Battle of Dennewitz - Allies arrive earlier file I sent him and discussed here won't make it into the update as they have already finished packaging it. Sort of answers your question I think.

This is all good as that way all files related to The Battle of Dennewitz will get tested and go into the next up after they have had time to be thoroughly looked over and discussed.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:53 pm 

I am posting the latest files for this Dennewitz update after trying them out in the next update for Leipzig which Rich H. was gracious enough to let me try out. Its ver. 4.07.1.

Each file goes in its own folder:

.scn file --> Scenarios Folder
.pdt file --> Data Folder
.map file --> Maps Folder

Again, this will NOT be in the update. We are playtesting it and eventually it will go into the 4.08 update.

After Dean Webster and I finish our game I may have updated the files so I will repost them at that time. If you want to try it out with a club member feel free to do so but please wait for the 4.07 update to come out. I am basing any changes to the scenario on play using that update. If you dont plan on updating to 4.07 go ahead and give it a go in an older version but remember that the Scenario Descriptions now use the forward slash for line breaks/spacing and that it may not open right in anything older than 4.06.

Zip file is attached. Consider this a "Review Copy" as I may have missed fixing something. Dean and I will be going over it carefully as we play.

Attachment:
056_Dennewitz_HTH-REV.zip

One thing I noticed right off is that neither side will be able to track the movements of their opponents. The visibility is never better than 24 hexes. Right of I noticed that like was mentioned earlier, the effects of the "Heavy Dust" limited visibility will mean that the players will have to carefully consider where they send units as if formations turn up where they are not expected trying to reverse course will be next to impossible UNLESS you keep a reserve.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:33 pm 

Here is an image showing the new map with the historical troop march routes. Note how the new routes on the map will better facilitate the Prussian 3rd Korps linking up with the 4th Korps to face the French IV Corps.

Attachment:
Dennewitz-Rev-Map-Historical-Marches_sm.jpg

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:43 pm 

Here is my own custom version of the 15 Minute PDT file version of the Battle of Dennewitz. It uses my "legacy" version of the 15 min. PDT file as found in the Legacy folder for the PDT files (Data folder) of the EC game.

I played the 15 min. version (Waterloo/NRC format) with David Guegan and I was not happy with the outcome. There were not enough turns. David's units coming on the map never had a chance to get up into any of the action.

So lets see how this version holds up. Is anyone that likes the 15 min. format (original Eckmuhl/Wagram version) willing to playtest this version? I have never applied my old 15 min. PDT file format to one of these Leipzig battles. I would like to get game files from the players to see how the game compares to the 10 min. version of the battle which Dean and I will be testing.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:42 pm 

I made a lot of changes on the map where it regards the Ahe Bach River/Creek as Cezary has noted concerning it being swampy and only crossing points at certain towns. I also changed a lot of the Juterbog area too. Here is an image that has some colored dots. Can you guys help me determine what the light blue dots are for?

The yellow dots are for marsh. The green dots (dark and light) are for woods I believe. What terrain is on the map at the light blue dots?

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:52 pm 

Light blue - meadow, pasture, wasteland
Light green - vineyard, hop field, garden,
Dark green - forest, trees, woods,
Yellow - swamp, wetland, marsh.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:52 am 

That seems correct.
Considering the hex terrain we have:
Light blue = Clear
Light green = Orchard/Field/maybe consider a hedge to simulate a garden
Dark green = Forest/Orchard(the later as a form of trees)
Yellow = Marsh

Oh and I stumbled over another map, not so good to see but seems to be the most detailed so far:
https://battlearchives.com/products/den ... battle-map

It's a little tricky but you can get normal file types(jpg/png) to download when using these links
https://battlearchives.com/cdn/shop/pro ... 0x1273.jpg
https://battlearchives.com/cdn/shop/pro ... 13x827.png
https://battlearchives.com/cdn/shop/pro ... 57x827.png
https://battlearchives.com/cdn/shop/pro ... 38x481.png
https://battlearchives.com/cdn/shop/pro ... 38x481.png

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next