Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:43 pm 

The recent blog articles by WDS have made me interested in doing a campaign game.

Has anyone played one and tracked it via DOR? Is it a possibility?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:42 am 

Interested in that as well.
How to find out the scenario name to report in the club database when this comes out of the campaign system?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:15 am 

I'd also like some information on this, and more in general on how to run and play a campaign, between two folks.

I am still learning NB but the concept of doing a PBEM campaign game is very interesting.

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:24 am 

Running it the campaign is no big issue.
One side starts it with the "cp_start.exe" and does the configuration and giving the save a good name. Once the system tells you that the file is ready for your opponent you check the Saves directory and zip ALL the files with the latest change time stamp (normally the .btc and .cpf files but in the decision steps this might differ).

Your opponent unzips it into his Saves directory and starts also with the "cp_start.exe". This will when necessary automatically start the main game.

Be aware that playing a campaign means that there is no password, so you have to trust your opponent and if by mistake you get the a prompt to see the other replay you close the game ASAP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:36 am 

Andi Kareil wrote:
Running it the campaign is no big issue.
One side starts it with the "cp_start.exe" and does the configuration and giving the save a good name. Once the system tells you that the file is ready for your opponent you check the Saves directory and zip ALL the files with the latest change time stamp (normally the .btc and .cpf files but in the decision steps this might differ).

Your opponent unzips it into his Saves directory and starts also with the "cp_start.exe". This will when necessary automatically start the main game.

Be aware that playing a campaign means that there is no password, so you have to trust your opponent and if by mistake you get the a prompt to see the other replay you close the game ASAP.

Thank you very much this is very helpful. Also, totally understand and we here should be gentleman and honor the code of conduct when we enlisted in our respective armies. :D

:frenchsalute: :frenchhappy:

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:28 am 

I tracked one in the DOR, and went something like this (provided your desired campaign is indeed listed in the database):

Game: Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (JTS)
Scenario name: C2. The Rhine Campaign of 1796
Scenario file name: 1796-Rhine.cpd

Under Comment for beginning the battle, I would enter a description of which we were on:
"Battle of Neresheim - 11 August 1796. The third battle in the 1796 campaign."

On completion of a battle, I would comment on the particular battle variant's total turn count:
Proposed end (Major Victory after 35 turns for French side).
Comment: 72 turns total.

27ème Régiment d'Infanterie Légère
1ère Brigade, 2ème Division
1er Corps d'Armée

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 am 

Nicholas Ferry wrote:
I tracked one in the DOR, and went something like this (provided your desired campaign is indeed listed in the database):

Under Comment for beginning the battle, I would enter a description of which we were on:

On completion of a battle, I would comment on the particular battle variant's total turn count:

Thanks Major Ferry!

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:08 pm 

Don Lazov wrote:
Thanks Major Ferry!

Only too happy to be of help, sir!

27ème Régiment d'Infanterie Légère
1ère Brigade, 2ème Division
1er Corps d'Armée

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 pm 

I wish I had more time for a longer answer, but thanks to all who responded to Sergio's question. :thumbsup:

Nick's got the registration stuff covered very well! :frenchcool It's important for Allied Coalition officers to note the battles/scenarios of a campaign, as that's a way I can track medals & awards you might get for them. Also, only addition I have to Nick's info is to make sure you mention when the campaign is over and who won/victory level. The campaign bonus points are added when the admins confirm the results. Right now I'm the person who does that or I at least try to, so it'll be easier for me when I see the comments. If for some reason, one doesn't show up, please let me know.

Good questions! 8)

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:43 am 

Thanks everyone for the feedback on registering a Campaign game.

Sergio and I have agreed to a NRC campaign and I am the Russians, and not only that but I am brand new here, so I am trying to figure out how to register the game for us.

I have just started a game with my training officer, and sent some of my questions out late last night about the difference between the various game types (maneuver, fight, and match), likewise, when I try to find the scenario - I have to guess here because in the campaign mode I have no idea what scenario it is I am playing, per se, but using the scenario editor and taking an educated guess based on my campaign choices, I think its 021_Smolensk2h.scn, although for the campaign game it shows 50 turns but in the editor it shows 48, however when I search for it in the DOR I see as the possible closest is: The Historical Battle of Smolensk, Second Day, August 17, 1812, but that is from HPS and not WDS. We are both playing WDS games and I don't own any HPS or JTS or TalonSoft titles which I see in the list. So its very confusing at this point on how to select a "normal" scenario since I don't see any WDS titles listed, let alone figuring out which campaign scenario I am playing and trying to match it up.

I am sure the answer might be clear, but failing to see the light in the trees...

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:29 pm 

Major Ferry and Generalfeldmarschall Ludwig covered the campaign spot pretty good, in my registration thread I just covered campaigns with this:
"Campaign games:
For campaign games you select the correct .cpd file as scenario. Afterwards it would be helpful to add scenario title as comment, just to have a clue what is played. And when the battle is done make sure to add a comment if campaign continues or if it was the last battle, that is important so we know that whether or not we can apply a campaign bonus for the players."

As for maneuvers, fights and matches.
Maneuvers have players all from one side(Allies or French), fights have players from different sides(Allies versus French), and matches afaik are used for games against our associate members.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:55 pm 

Nicholas Ferry wrote:

Could use some assistance, there is nowhere to select the correct game title (I see you used Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (JTS)), I don't see anyway to list out the titles of games, it only shows the scenario names for you to type, also I don't see any WDS games, just older outdated games I don't have (i.e., I don't own any JTS, HPS or TalonSoft games, but I do own almost all the WDS games).

When I type Smolensk in I do see a possible scenario but it has a prefix of SB_ and the wrong company JTS, and the turn count is wrong at 48, where as in WDS its 50.

I also tried to use and search by the cpd file but that does not work either.

All my roads lead to errors and failure to load.

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:14 pm 

The game titles are listed under the company names when originally released, so that's not exactly the issue. I think what is, WDS did file renaming I think, so the older games still have the older file name structure. We'll have to talk with the DoR developer to see what we can do about this.

It isn't exactly easy to figure out the campaign & scenario, but if you want me to look at it, I'm happy to do so. Just email it to me.

Let's see if we can figure this out first and then we'll work on the rest. :frenchcool

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:22 pm 

SLudwig wrote:
The game titles are listed under the company names when originally released, so that's not exactly the issue. I think what is, WDS did file renaming I think, so the older games still have the older file name structure. We'll have to talk with the DoR developer to see what we can do about this.

It isn't exactly easy to figure out the campaign & scenario, but if you want me to look at it, I'm happy to do so. Just email it to me.

Let's see if we can figure this out first and then we'll work on the rest. :frenchcool

Thank you I’ll send you the files tomorrow morning.

Imperial Russian Army

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:08 pm 

Don Lazov wrote:
I don't see anyway to list out the titles of games, it only shows the scenario names for you to type, also I don't see any WDS games, just older outdated games I don't have (i.e., I don't own any JTS, HPS or TalonSoft games, but I do own almost all the WDS games).

When I type Smolensk in I do see a possible scenario but it has a prefix of SB_ and the wrong company JTS, and the turn count is wrong at 48, where as in WDS its 50.

I also tried to use and search by the cpd file but that does not work either.

thank for raising this.
I was too struggling with selecting the right scenario within a Campaign. Was just selecting something similar in the number of turns.
1814 Campaign is in particularly hard to guess

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

(I don't play with Rout limiting ON)