Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Optional House Rules
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 am 

I'm soliciting opinions on the use of the Optional House Rules in the HPS games posted here at the NWC site.

My own opinion is I don't like most of the ones relating to infantry vs cavalry relationships and movement restrictions. I find it unrealistic to believe that a small sqadron will hamper in any serious manner the movment of an 1100 man infantry battalion. To not allow the battalion to move adjacent to a small formation and fire on it is kind of ridiculous. I could live with a restriction based on some sort of size ratio between the formations. Say something along the lines of 1:2 cavalry to infantry the move adjancet to the cavalry is not permitted. Same applies to infantry surrounding or pursing small units of cavalry.

I do totally agree with leashes on the skirmishers and will not play without them. I think the requirement for the leash should be some number of hexes in front of ANY formed unit (does not have to be the parent). There are thousands of examples of skirmishers or isolated portions of units fighting on alone, or after re-establishing contact with some other units of their army.In my recent readings about the 1813 Campaign there are even numerous examples of Prussian and Russian regiments deplying skirmishers to screen each other.

These are my main disagreements, What do others believe? To all my opponents present and future please do not expect my compliance to any of the optional house rules by default.

Happy holiday to all,

Capt. Ed Blackburn
1/50th West Kent, 6th Div, II Corps, AAA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:40 am 

When it comes to house rules or any optional rules I'm kind of fast & loose. I discuss it with my opponent prior to our game and we come to an agreement about our preferences. For the most part I can play with any rules as long as both sides have the set in stone before we start.

<hr noshade size="1"><center>[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Major Michael "Zettlemyer" Davies[/url]
2 é Chevauxleger Rgt “Königâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:48 am 
I totally agree with zinkyusa's opinion on Optional House Rules! Trying to make a simulation software more realistic by adding more <u>artificial</u> rules is... unrealistic! [:p]

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Lt Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN