Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:52 am 

Gents
If two or even more formed units in a hex try to form square do they test individually or combined. Could the first form square the second fail thus disordering the initial square and possibly a third unit route[xx(]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Army Commander
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:14 am 

I'm not 100% sure how it tests it, but I have had those results often.

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>GeneralMajor Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/3IFB.htm"]3. Infanterie-Brigade[/url]
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
Preußische Armee

Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
Preußische Armee

[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee Webmaster[/url]

Herzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:28 am 
Of course. Happens to me all the time. [xx(]

Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:16 pm 

Oh yes, they test separately and if one fails they both disorder.

Learned not to try that with two units long ago. I dont care if they are far behind the lines I just dont even like the idea of testing chance and finding my units in disorder.

"Square Dance" - loved the name of this thread!

If you want to get two squares into one hex then just move one of the units out - square up with the remaining unit - then square up with the one you moved and then move the other unit back into the hex with the other square on the next turn.

I like to put guns in squares - proects them from cavalry and gives you good firepower too boot!

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like to put guns in squares - proects them from cavalry and gives you good firepower too boot!

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But not in the battleground games! Stacking artillery with a square takes away the protection!!!![B)]
(however, many opponents do not realise that...)

Regards

<font color="orange">Luitenant-Generaal Geert "The General" van Uythoven
Commander of I Corps (Netherlands forces)
Anglo-Allied Army

http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:23 am 

Geert - yes, as it regards BG you are correct.

Fixed in HPS engine though.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by geert</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like to put guns in squares - proects them from cavalry and gives you good firepower too boot!

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But not in the battleground games! Stacking artillery with a square takes away the protection!!!![B)]
(however, many opponents do not realise that...)

Regards

<font color="orange">Luitenant-Generaal Geert "The General" van Uythoven
Commander of I Corps (Netherlands forces)
Anglo-Allied Army

http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm
</font id="orange">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Does it means that there is no need to change into square a bn stacked with art threatened by cav ? In that case the square formation doesn't negates the triple charge bonus ?

<font color="orange">2d Lieutenant Valère Bernard
Bataillon de Ligne Nº 7
[url="http://home.wanadoo.nl/hans.boersma/home.htm"]1e Brigade[/url]
[url="http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm"]2e Nederlandsche Divisie[/url]
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:44 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valere5</i>

Does it means that there is no need to change into square a bn stacked with art threatened by cav ? In that case the square formation doesn't negates the triple charge bonus ?

That's right!
But in some desperate situation, you may hope that your opponent ignores it. You may form square anyways and at the same time, limber your guns! Your opponent may not charge... if he does, it will become harder for his cavalry units to escape (in his next movement phase) because of ZOC all around the squared unit.

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Lt Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:01 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voltigeur</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valere5</i>

That's right!
But in some desperate situation, you may hope that your opponent ignores it. You may form square anyways and at the same time, limber your guns! Your opponent may not charge... if he does, it will become harder for his cavalry units to escape (in his next movement phase) because of ZOC all around the squared unit.

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Lt Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

It also means that the cavalry will not get a flank attack bonus and, if the battalion square loses the melee it will not suffer the attacked in flank morale check penalty.

Even if the square is defeated and routs, it will rally in column formation, which is better than a disordered square [;)]

Sometimes it may be worth doing.

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Even if the square is defeated and routs, it will rally in column formation, which is better than a disordered square [;)]

Ah the disordered square. There's nothing like seeing a French assault grind to a disordered halt after the innocuous appearance of a spare cavalry brigade. [;)]

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
[url="http://www.dutchcorps.com"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
C.O. Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:42 am 

Squares are also a bugger to wipe out, as they can retreat after melee into any adjacent hex after combat, regardless of ZOC. So in a desperate situation, forming square gives at least the chance of a retreat after melee, rout and then escape.

Capitaine Neville Worland
7ème Régiment de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
Army du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:22 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ndworl</i>
<br />Squares are also a bugger to wipe out...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Recommend horse battery at range 1 or 2 hexes. Square cannot melee the battery, if disordered, its fire power is very limited. So the battery is pretty safe.

A couple of rounds from that and it's a case of "Square! What square?"[:)]

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:02 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ndworl</i>
<br />Squares are also a bugger to wipe out...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Recommend horse battery at range 1 or 2 hexes. Square cannot melee the battery, if disordered, its fire power is very limited. So the battery is pretty safe.

A couple of rounds from that and it's a case of "Square! What square?"[:)]

Regards

Mark

Well, its all a calculation of effective force, defined by the number of units available for action times the number of turns they are available. If your horse battery, plus the units holding the square in place were unavailable for other purposes for say three or four turns, that might be regarded as a good deal by the other side.

Capitaine Neville Worland
7ème Régiment de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
Army du Nord