Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NRC Smolensk 2nd Day
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:53 pm 
I need help in fighting as the French in the Battle of Smolensk. More specifically I need help in handling my calvary units. Poor use thus far has cost me. The high point value awarded to calvary losses has made me somewhat hesitant in using them. Any tips or tactics would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:06 am 
Hello Liveline99

Start by reading these:

http://www.hist-sdc.com/articles/nap1.html#Cavalry
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ianboys/nir.htm#cavalry

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Lt Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:42 pm 

Wow, it is definitely time to put out some HPS related tips for those games too.

Nice tips but dated. Cavalry now charges during its move phase instead of being able to move to set up the charge.

Basically, the big thing to remember is: can you pull off the charge and get away with it? Can you recover the cavalry.

I see guys attack fresh units with cavalry. Nothing could be more costlier. The best charges I have seen were those made after the enemy had been softened up a bit. Then WHAMMO! In come the heavies.

Keeping infantry nearby that can go right in on the same turn side by side with the cavalry is the key. And watch out for the other guy's cavalry too.

A good defense can sometimes lead to a great cavalry charge. Thus how you set up your lines and perhaps lure your opponent to attack you first and wear his cavalry out works well too.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to play a Training game with one of your fellow officers. Play it against the A/I not PBEM - thus pass a .btl file back and forth. Or folks could start putting some Replay files together on how a good charge should be pulled off.

I try and watch the replay in my PBEM during crucial turns. If I see that he has pulled off a good charge then I reopen the turn and watch the replay. Helps me to be a better player.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:22 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Wow, it is definitely time to put out some HPS related tips for those games too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oops, sorry, my mistake![:I]
I was thinking that NRC was played on the BG system

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Lt Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN