Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterloo DVD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:19 pm 

I would like to ask all members and especially the Canadian members if they know where to get a copy of hte Waterloo movie starring Christopher Plummer?

Thank you,

Lt. Malcolm

Chef D'Etat-Major
I Corps
Artillerie Reserve
ADN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:32 pm 

I got mine from ebay but it's a region 2 DVD

Lt. Ranson Lee
4ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
7ème Division d'Infanterie
IIèmé Corps d'Armee Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:17 pm 

I only get prog scan for NTSC DVDs on my set up so always buy Region 1. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find this movie anywhere in this format. Is it available?

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
[url="http://www.dutchcorps.com"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
C.O. Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:46 pm 

I'm afraid there is no Region 1 DVD available, but only Region 2 vanilla disc with a trailer. Plus if there ever is a region 1 DVD version, it will be about 5 minutes shorter than the Region 2 anyway as that is the US cut.

The original rough cut of the movie was 4 hours long (which explains why there is so many plot holes, missing action and characters.) Looks like the Columbia Pictures cut it down for the American viewers as epic movies were in favour in the
late 60's early 70's.[:(!]

Col. Hargreaves,
4ème Régiment de Dragons
AdN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:57 pm 

Hi.
I have Region 2,But have nether seen a Region 1.have you the Vid,
Why Columbia Pictures dont put out the uncut long film i am sure a lot of peaple would get it.[:D]

<font color="red">Marechal</font id="red">
<font color="red">BEECHAM</font id="red"> Commandant
1ème Division de Cuirassiers,
1 Corps Res Cav,ADN.

"Toujours féroce,jamais étourdi"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:02 am 

I have the film on DVD too and love it. However, I wonder if the uncut version showed any of the Dutch, Belgian, Brunswick and all the other German troops, etc. in Wellington's Army which seem to be missing in the shorter version. I doubt it[;)] Has anybody here actually seen it?

<font color="gold">Major Antony Barlow
CO, 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps.
Guards: 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards.</font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:14 am 

I live in Texas and had trouble getting the non-european version.

However, a guy out of Canada was selling them on e-bay. Mostly likely a bootleg since it doesn't even have scene selection capability, but I got it and it is great!

A terrible shame it has nont been released in the U.S. because it is the best battle film ever made. (Yes I think it is even better then Gettysburg).

2nd Lt. Jon Graswich
<font color="red">11th Light Dragoons
4th Cavalry Brigade
Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps</font id="red">

<i>Treu und Fest</i>
<i>Staunch and Steadfast</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:36 am 

I live in the USA ans was unable to get the movie on DVD. I was able to purchase it on VHS from Amazon.com.

Major Ed Blackburn
1/50th West Kent, 6th Div, II Corps, AAA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />I have the film on DVD too and love it. However, I wonder if the uncut version showed any of the Dutch, Belgian, Brunswick and all the other German troops, etc. in Wellington's Army which seem to be missing in the shorter version. I doubt it[;)] Has anybody here actually seen it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think it was shown in UK TV, not sure but my brother said he saw it during the mid to late 70's. I think he was just imagining it though it could have been the 3 hour cut?
I think the US version misses scenes such as such as the Irishman who walks out of the Square during the main cavalry assault and more of talking scenes.

The uncut version of the movie has scenes like Wellinton meeting Blucher after the battle and the battle of Plancenoit, more of action around La Haye Sainte.. Well, seeing as Sergei Bondarchuk did the definitive War and Peace of a 511 mins (but the USA version of the same movie is 390 mins for some reason..??[:0]) I don't think he would ever do a 120 min version of Waterloo.[:)]

Here is some more info:
"According to an article written by the film's editor and associate producer Richard C. Meyer, the longest version is the 132 minute version. This has been confirmed by Vladimir Dorsal, the film's First Assistant and later the head of Mosfilm in Moscow. He says that they only have the 132m version in their vaults and no longer 4 hours version ever existed. The myth may derive from an earlier part of Meyer's article when he states that the rough cut was 4 hours long - not unusual for a film of this scope and scale. But after much discussion the present length was agreed on. He also says he stupidly didn't make a dupe of this rough cut, a usual process in post production. So this `cut' will never see the light of day. It is clear from the cast list that many characters were cut. The film was planned as a Road Show release but by 1970 the practice had lost favour with the studios. Columbia Pictures also shortened CROMWELL for the same reason."

Col. Hargreaves,
4ème Régiment de Dragons
AdN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:57 am 

Cheers for the info. I'll end up buying it Region 1 I guess.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Glyn Hargreaves</i>
Plus if there ever is a region 1 DVD version, it will be about 5 minutes shorter than the Region 2 anyway as that is the US cut. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Funnily it'll still be longer than the Region 2 version as PAL movies play 4% quicker than NTSC.

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
[url="http://www.dutchcorps.com"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
C.O. Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:01 am 

I remember this discussion coming up before - in the Off Topic Tavern I think - some time back - one bloke bought a multi-region DVD player and thus can buy European or US region DVDs and watch them with no problem.

The cost was higher for one of those players of course - the cost of enjoying all regions I guess.

I would think that if enough folks asked then the Region 1 version might come out for us folks over here in N.America.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army