Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:18 pm 

<font color="pink">Sort of anti-climactic after all the champagne being tossed about, but for what it's worth, I just made full General. For the record, it was with a record-busting Major victory in just 7 turns, at full Waterloo. Read 'em and weep, Allied types. Come on and fight me if you haven't, and learn the meaning of pain.</font id="pink">

General Baron Barrett,
Comte de Brienne,
Commander, VI (Bavarian) Corps, Army of the Rhine,
and
la 1er Compagnie d'Artillerie de la Vieille Garde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:26 pm 

Sir,

Congratulations on your promotion. Your skills on the field of Waterloo are the stuff of legend.

Cheers!

Jeff Bardon

Duc de Castiglione
Prince de Wagram
Commandant de la Vieille Garde
Marechal de France
CiC- La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:28 pm 

Congrats General Barrett of the Vth!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
Reserves, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:21 am 

Well at least it wasn't me that was responsible for that promotion. Seven turns? Tsk tsk. I managed 10 against the man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:06 am 

Well, I suppose I should chime in and drink to your good fortune. For fortune has never really smiled upon you when my horse and I are across the field. He he. But please, let me bring down a bottle of some fine red and celebrate your rise in rank -- finally. [;)]

FM Sir 'Muddy' Jones, KG
2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry
CO, Cavalry Corps
Allied CiC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:07 am 

Congratulations General! It is a pleasure to serve in your command!

<hr noshade size="1"><center>[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Major Michael "Zettlemyer" Davies[/url]
2 é Chevauxleger Rgt “Königâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:09 am 

I'm curious though, Sir...perhaps I haven't been here long enough to know the history. Why is it that the commander of the VI Corps is known as <b>"Barrett of the Vth"</b>?

<hr noshade size="1"><center>[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Major Michael "Zettlemyer" Davies[/url]
2 é Chevauxleger Rgt “Königâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:37 am 

<font color="pink">Thank you august sirs for the kind words, admittedly purchased from my purse, but kind nonetheless. Ah, the 5th. Way back, when I was fresher than a new pair of diapers, [:I] barely a braid on me, and only the right to look at the feathers of my betters, (some of whom have signed in below), I was put in the Polish 5 Corps artillery. I was rather surprised by that first assignment, as I am from Canada, fairly well anglicized, and portraying something of an Irish wild goose persona. But administration is administration, what can one do except shrug in a Gallic sort of way. So I set myself up as "Barrett, of the Vth", being rather proud of my new Polish association. It also had relevance to my portrayed drinking habits, and my Beethoven-like grasp of mathematics (and physical attire). Needless to say, many years later, the administration decided I should command VI Corps, Bavarians, (to my utter delight, given the abundance of home breweries in the neighbourhood of my HQ [:p]). Sadly, when I attempted to simply change my sign-in details, I learned that they are not, it seems, a thing that can be readily changed. Being a fellow comfortable with paradoxes (and quite happy to chatter on by a warm fireplace whilst others buy me drinks), I decided being Barrett of the Vth (of the VIth) is quite acceptable, albeit confusing. [^]
Now, on to the Marshalate! If nothing else during my career, I shall not only slaughter all of Muddy's English (like last time) but his Prussians too; I know it can be done! Damned if I am going to have a British Field Marshal wink at me, by God! [:(!]</font id="pink">

General Baron Barrett,
Comte de Brienne,
and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:54 am 

I to must say congratulations to you sir.....

Your classes in tactics for Waterloo are most enjoyable...

General John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zettlemyer</i>
<br />I'm curious though, Sir...perhaps I haven't been here long enough to know the history. Why is it that the commander of the VI Corps is known as <b>"Barrett of the Vth"</b>?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well I have always explained that it was an Anglo fifth - 1/5 of a gallon better known as a bottle (750ml well actually 757ml). As in "<i>I'll observe the fire of the batteries from the crest of the Hohenberg. Captain, send my map case, my looking glass, a leg of lamb, 3 loaves of bread, and a Vth of Scotch to the ridge. And bring something for yourself."</i> 'Though I suppose it would be more appropriate to be Barrett of the Pint. (Or is that an Ohm? An Ohm = 128 Liters in Bavaria, 150 Liters in Baden.)

A Full Barrett in 7 turns? Mon Dieu.

<b>Général de Division Prince Michael Cox de Tuscany</b>
Comte de Moselle et Marseille
Baron de l'Empire
<i>Armée du Rhin
2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied
Infanterie de la Vieille Garde</i>
<center>Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:10 am 

Congratuations!

As to the 7 turns... well...[B)]

Feldmarschall Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:24 pm 

Congrats!! It would be an honor to last 3 turns against you!! [;)][}:)][:D]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

12-pdr Garde-Battalion
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:32 pm 

<font color="pink">Good sir, if that's a taunt, I accept. I don't recall actually combatting a Prussian commander before. We shall probably see the English army dissipate even faster. If I read you aright, send a courier, with a bottle of French wine, or Bavarian beer, and I will commence sending the orders to the front. Three turns, eh? I fear you just might make me break a sweat, to pull off that one. [8D]</font id="pink">

General Baron Barrett,
Comte de Brienne,
and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:55 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Barrett, of the Vth</i>
<br /><font color="pink">Good sir, if that's a taunt, I accept. I don't recall actually combatting a Prussian commander before. We shall probably see the English army dissipate even faster. If I read you aright, send a courier, with a bottle of French wine, or Bavarian beer, and I will commence sending the orders to the front. Three turns, eh? I fear you just might make me break a sweat, to pull off that one. [8D]</font id="pink">

General Baron Barrett,
Comte de Brienne,
and
la 1er Compagnie d'Artillerie de la Vieille Garde<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I will make you break a sweat that is for sure!! And I bet you the British Army meets total failure in 2 turns....I accept for some apparent self deprecating reason!! [:D]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

12-pdr Garde-Battalion
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>