Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:06 am 

One of the obvious problems with these games is that because defensive deployments are already set, there are only so many variations to a set battle. For a while, I've been wanting to play a battle where deployment and the course of the battle is completely dictated by the two players. I had hoped that the BGW - 'Wellington Flinches; Bluecher Advances' scenario would enable this however there are some fairly serious design flaws (I'm assuming it was created by a French officer) and although it's a nice change, it's not the open fight I'm looking for. I've therefore decided to make my own and have some questions.

I've opted to set it on the Ligny/ Quatre Bras map as it's the biggest. The clear command structure of the Prussians also make them suitable for multi-player games. I would be interested to hear people thoughts on the following:

<u>Deployment</u>
Bearing in mind I'm trying to create a balanced game and one where generals are not held back by preset deployments, should armies be deployed on the map in marching formation from the outset or should they arrive as reinforcements (or perhaps a mixture of the two)? I am under the impression that Napoleonic formations marched in corps. Would they therefore deploy as corps and at what range did opposing forces start to deploy?

<u>Objectives</u>
Yes or no? They do give direction to battles and I have played scenarios before where the initial draw victory level and the absence of objectives has resulted in neither side attacking as it wasn't worth the risk. On the other hand, again I don't want objectives to dictate the course of the action. I also intend to start the scenario with a draw: that way neither side is neccessarily on the offensive or defensive.

Finally - and most significantly - I have no idea how these scenarios are created [:D]. What software do I need and how can it be obtained?

Cheers,

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:47 am 

you can find the tool in John Tiller website at this page: http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/html/editor.html

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale Image

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:55 am 

Cheers. There doesn't seem to be any editors for WinXp on that site. I downloaded the ones on Marco's site but they don't seem to be working correctly - the map is black.

EDIT: Works ok on Waterloo butu not Prelude. Any ideas?

Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:08 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />Cheers. There doesn't seem to be any editors for WinXp on that site. I downloaded the ones on Marco's site but they don't seem to be working correctly - the map is black.

EDIT: Works ok on Waterloo butu not Prelude.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Peter

I am going from memory here but, I think that with Prelude to Waterloo the maps are not normally loaded onto the PC but accessed from the CD. For the editor to work the maps need to be copied from the CD to the respective folder on the computer.

This should solve your map problem

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:29 am 

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, there seem to be maps in the PTW folders and my CD, which I use to run all the BG games, has no map files on it.

Commander I Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, there seem to be maps in the PTW folders and my CD, which I use to run all the BG games, has no map files on it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Peter

No problem, I obviously got it the wrong way round [:0]

The editor requires that the maps are on the CD, not the hard drive. In which case you need to use the original disc to see the maps, (or copy the map files onto a CD.

You may also need to check that the ptw.ini file is specifying the appropriate drive for the map files, although I think this only applies to the game, not when using the editor.

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:36 am 

Woohoo! Thanks!

After the initial non-starter this morning, I just hope I've still got the enthusiasm! [;)] Still, the delay gave me time to go househunting. [:D]

BTW Paul I only realised I forgot to says thanks after I'd sent my last e-mail.

Commander I Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:41 am 

Peter

Some thoughts on scenario design, balance and objective hexes.

<u>Forces</u>
in most scenarios there must be an element of unbalance between the forces. This may take the form of numeric strength, qualitative strength, more ammunition, more artillery or cavalry, fatigued units, broken command structure, superior weapons (ever thought about a different musket type with weaker capability to simulate fewer rounds fired / minute by less well trained units?). Without this imbalance, the only incentive for one side to attack the other is because they start the scenario in a defeated state and need to defeat the enemy to convert this to a draw or victory.

In these circumstances objective hexes are required to prevent the enemy marching off the map before contact is made and securing their victory. The downside is, that if the forces are approximately equivalent the side that starts the gamne in defeat will probably finish it there as terrain can confer considerable benefits to the defensive units.

One of my favourite, balanced scenarios is Quatre Bras, in which the balance is achieved by the low ammunition and quality of some of the Allied formations, the continual arrival of reinforcements and the terrain available for the Allies to exploit. I try to ignore the objective hex values (especially that for the cross-road) and achieve a victory in spite of that. [It's a personal thing that I dislike objective hexes, with the possible exception of exit hexes in scenarios appropriate to them].

Another thing I like about Quatre Bras is that there is space and time for flanking marches, and for the Allies to withdraw their line when threatened. I am cuurently engaged in a very good game in which we must have reached about Turn 10 with no more than 100 casualties on either side as I try to outmanoeuvre my opponent, and he in turn denies me his flank.

Because of all the variables affecting the battle, the balancing of the forces is largely a matter of trial and error. A good idea might be to look at a comparable size of battle to that which you wish to create, especially one which yielded a close result, and select the strength / approximate composition of the forces on that basis. Even this is not hard and fast as battles such as Austerlitz should not have yielded the devastating result that they did on the basis of terrain or numbers alone.

Deployment or march onto map?
This will depend how many turns you want to spend bringing forces into position and how far apart the forces will be at the start. Perhaps you will have a small part of one force on the map defending against the approaching columns of the enemy (which are on map but far enough away to vary their approach) and reinforcements arrive from off map able to march to where they are required, or to form up for a counter-attack later in the game (a little like Quatre Bras).

It might take the form of a meeting engagement with both sides coming from off-map on a pre-determined route (towards an enemy held objective hex) and gradually feeding successive formations into the fight.

There are many possibilities. The amount of time before all units arrive will be a factor though, arrival times need to be such that the units can make it to the action before the scenario end.

Another way of hampering one side is to use Fixed units. This should be done with care that no enemy can contact the fixed units before they release. Otherwise players will waltz up to them, surround them and eliminate them, Ligny being a classic case. If using fixed units you might try fixing only the Brigade commander, so that the men could march off but would have a devil of a job re-ordering when disordered, without their brigade commander to hand. Be innovative I guess is what I am saying.

On which note, another favourite of mine is to use the golden morale quality bonus (variable in NIR but always +2 in PTW) for low quality units. In this way for example, a standard line infantry batttalion in PTW could be given a Quality of 2, with the golden morale making it up to 4 for the purpose of moarle checks (same as any other line infantry battalion), but the quality of 2 would give them a penalty in melee and when firing, (less well trained than their counter-parts, but no less courageous). There are so many areas to explore.

Tinker with the terrain effects to suit your requirement, meddle with the fire table to tone down the skirmishers and so on.

The only software you need is a text editor for the main.pdt and main.oob files. Notepad, Wordpad etc are not really any use for this. I use Textpad, which used to be available as a free download, I am sure there are many others.

For the scenario itself, you only need the scenario editor to start creating your game.

Mail [url="mailto:markeason@btinternet.com"]Mark[/url] me if you want any specific help (though I am away during the week). Before you know it you will be trying to generate maps, now, that really is a time-sink [:)]

Good luck

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:35 am 

Check out Rich Hamilton's scenario design center (link at the bottom of the NWC homepage) or here's a link to an old NWC Newsletter article:
http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/newsletter ... rearticles

Regards,

FM Sir 'Muddy' Jones, KG
2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry
CO, Cavalry Corps
Allied CiC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:17 pm 

Ok, I've actually pretty much done it. I've pitted the Prussian I, II (less artillery reserve), and III Corps against the French I, II, III, IV, I Cav Res, II Cav Res, III Cav Res, and IV Cav Res. The Prussian army stands at ~103,000 while the French are at ~90,000. The Prussians are led by Gneisenau and Bluecher while the French are led by Ney; both side have the same artillery ammo.

Bearing in mind the Prussian artillery superiority, offset by it's lack of skirmishers; the flexibility of the French army and the slow reordering of the Prussians; and the slight quality advantage held by the French, do people think that these strength are suitable? Perhaps a brigade of the Young Guard might even things up?

Commander I Corps