Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:45 am 
I'd settle with *one* to start with. [8D]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:29 am 
So would I. I think Corunna would be a good place to start. Two campaigns for that title.

The historical one starting with the retreat. This one would have a few branches where the English could turn to fight the pursuing French, or they could continue to the coast where the French could get busy, and attack earlier or set around and watch.

The alternative campaign would start with the English still on the advance. This would give the French a chance to trap, and destroy Moore, and give Moore a chance to escape, then run for the coast.

A few new items could be introduced.

<ul><li>Dragoons with the ability to fight on horse, or on foot. </li><li>Victory Points for Supply Points.</li><li>Supply Source Hexes to prevent Isolation.</li><li>Naval Support with Ships for fire support.</li><li> SHALLOW WATER, to keep the ships from setting right next to the shore.</li><li>Units to be given 'boats' for use in SHALLOW WATER only.</li><li>Exit Hexes to be allowed to be placed in any Water hex, NOT SHALLOW WATER, instead of just along the map edge, to model a successful evacuation. (Note: Rivers in all the games would be revised to be built with SHALLOW WATER to allow river movement along the Danube, etc.)</li></ul>

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:59 am 

Marlborough vs Louis XIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:42 am 

In order of preference :
1. Waterloo
2. 1813 with the main battle of Leipzig
3. 1814 the war in France
4. Napoleon in England. Yes yes, I know : it's an unrealistic one and there are so much other real ones all of us waiting for (agree with me that it has been hot one day in 1805 ...) but as John Corbin wrote : this "what if" could be fun [;)]

<font color="orange">2d Lieutenant Valère Bernard
Bataillon de Ligne Nº 7
[url="http://home.planet.nl/~boe01171/HQ/1Brig.htm"]1e Brigade[/url]
[url="http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm"]2e Nederlandsche Divisie[/url]
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:29 pm 

Marengo and other battles of Napoleon's early Italian campaigns. If the French hadn't won Marengo at the 11th hour, it is doubtful Napoleon would have progressed up the ladder as quickly as he did. One feature could be different movement rates for French and Austrian troops to reflect the tactical doctrines in use at the time.

Regards, Conjotter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:48 am 

At last making this post[:I]

1. The campaigns of second coalition. Including Italy, Switzerland, Holland.....
2. 1806/1807
3. 1813 both early and late campaigns
4. 1814 french campaign

<center>Image</center>
<center><b>Eyo Imperatorskogo Velichestva Leib-Kirassirskogo polku
Polkovnik Anton Kosyanenko</b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />Napoleon's War is Spain, 1807-14, is at least 5 separate titles, and would probably be best handled with 11.

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Al,

I dont see us being able to field that many titles (but I understand your intent).

Probably three at the most.

Rather than go with just doing the historical campaigns it would be better to offer the battles divided up amongst three games and then have a campaign that mirrors as much of the history as possible along the lines of:

1. Entrance of French into Spain, retreat and reemergence of Wellesley into Portugal - 1807-1809 - the game covers the early campaigns in one campaign file. Not hard to do and would give the gamer more bang for his buck.

2. Establishment of Wellington's mastery over the French - this includes the campaigns of 1810-1812. Sounds a big long but with the fact that we often have more than one team per title this approach is very feasible.

3. Exit of the French from Spain and entrance of Wellington into France - 1813-1814.

In my newest title its going to have bite sized pieces of movement but in the Peninsula the marches were from one point to another (water, forage, etc) due to the rugged terrain. So the branching wont be as hard and if Rich gets away from the traditional HPS campaign concept of a battle with each branch then he can really give the gamer a feel for the campaigning of the period by allow for MANEUVER which after all was one of the biggest things of the period. So rather than look at the campaign file construction as a battle with every branch its MUCH better to have some manuever tossed in too and eventually the gamer plays a battle after having maneuvered his opponent into a place of his choosing or have to race back and help reestablish a siege.

The sieges are an integral part of the war. The branch concept allows you to model a siege rather well. Just run the players through a siege branch now and then. Give them decisions to make about the siege. It just needs for the designer to put in some extra maps. This is what I am doing in my new title and its really coming out nicely.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 pm 
[I dont see us being able to field that many titles (but I understand your intent).

Probably three at the most.

Rather than go with just doing the historical campaigns it would be better to offer the battles divided up amongst three games and then have a campaign that mirrors as much of the history as possible along the lines of:

1. Entrance of French into Spain, retreat and reemergence of Wellesley into Portugal - 1807-1809 - the game covers the early campaigns in one campaign file. Not hard to do and would give the gamer more bang for his buck.

2. Establishment of Wellington's mastery over the French - this includes the campaigns of 1810-1812. Sounds a big long but with the fact that we often have more than one team per title this approach is very feasible.

3. Exit of the French from Spain and entrance of Wellington into France - 1813-1814.

In my newest title its going to have bite sized pieces of movement but in the Peninsula the marches were from one point to another (water, forage, etc) due to the rugged terrain. So the branching wont be as hard and if Rich gets away from the traditional HPS campaign concept of a battle with each branch then he can really give the gamer a feel for the campaigning of the period by allow for MANEUVER which after all was one of the biggest things of the period. So rather than look at the campaign file construction as a battle with every branch its MUCH better to have some manuever tossed in too and eventually the gamer plays a battle after having maneuvered his opponent into a place of his choosing or have to race back and help reestablish a siege.

The sieges are an integral part of the war. The branch concept allows you to model a siege rather well. Just run the players through a siege branch now and then. Give them decisions to make about the siege. It just needs for the designer to put in some extra maps. This is what I am doing in my new title and its really coming out nicely.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

[/quote]

Hello all. My name is Garret Fitzgerald, and I'm new to your club, and I'm just going to say it's great that HPS will be bringing out Napoleonic simulations again. I'll certainly buy anything they release, and will certainly be playing many of you in various scenarios.
The Jena campaign would be a nice addition, especially since the Prussians have so little to do.
But just let me say the whole idea of having many new games to play is very exciting and I hope that soon they'll be out.
Thank you, and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Garret

Garret Fitzgerald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:52 pm 

I agree with Al about the advantage of adding in a few features from the EAW engine, especially for the Peninsular War:

Dragoons - preferably both regular and militia

Boats (ie. troops with boats) and EAW style ships capable of movement

Supply points and victory pts for supply wagons

Indirect fire for howitzers

Sieges - or at least assaults - might also be worthwhile incorporating. From a campaign perspective, the attacker would have to decide whether to assault or instead besiege a town/fort and thus allow the enemy a chance of bringing up reinforcements. Perhaps the campaign tree could be modified so that several branches would be active at the same time - in other words, each side could conduct multiple simultaneous operations in different locations that wouldn't necessarily impact the other branches straight away, although the players would need to decide how they want to concentrate their available forces. This would, for instance, mean that a player might lay siege to a town to draw away enemy forces from another objective. Also, the Allied player would be able to make use of Spanish guerilla activity to tie down certain French forces each campaign "turn" (ie. these forces would be made temporarily unavailable and would also be liable to suffer attritional losses), and there could also be additional guerilla uprisings that occur at random, with potentially devasting effect on French supply & morale.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 am 

Hello all.
The Jena campaign would be a nice addition, especially since the Prussians have so little to do.

Garret Fitzgerald
[/quote]

Garret - we have been trying to convince our Prussian club members of the same thing for years! So little to do .... [:p]

Jena is certainly one of the titles under consideration. That and Eylau/Friedland, 1813 (probably 2 games but who knows), Austerlitz, 1800 (both theaters of war), 1796-1797 and 1814. Past that we havent thought much on the smaller campaigns. I would like to add in the Polish campaign of 1809. Would be a nice freebie for Wagram.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:58 am 

Hello everyone

well i will want to see a "what if" campaign with all available

napoleonic armies at his top strength, maybe a 2:1 ratio with Britain,

Russia, Austria, Prussia (and maybe some spanish troops) against the

french, date the campaign somewhere after leipzig and in french

territory in 1814 with extra units for all armies to simulate the top

strength in the napoleonic wars, i know that will be very much work

and maybe some people will dislike it but will be nice to have a

"top strength" - order of battle of all napoleonic major nations and

a campaign with all these forces engaged in struggle and maneouver.

it is what i think,

with best regards,

Alaric.