Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:58 am 
From what I was able to understand, the games to which this club relates were never really set up for MP games; I guess that some gamers one day, decided to split the armies between two or more players and started a multi-player scenario.

Now that it is commonly seen and that Multi Player Optional Communication Rules have been set, one more option in the game engine would be really nice to have. One that allows the Corps' commanders to see only what the units they are in charge of can see on the map.

Take Waterloo, 3:00 o'clock as a quick illustration of what I meen. Reille (II Corp) could have been ordered to give that final push through Wellington's Ridge with support from Mouton's IV Corp but in the meantime, he can't see that the Prussians are starting to concentrate in front of Plancenoît. This kind of situation could make the game very interesting!

One more "nice-to-have" feature would be to allow players from the same side play their turn simultaneously and then send it to the CiC (or anyone in the team) who would merge the files before sending it to their opponent. That may allow MP games to be finished in less than a year!! [8D]

...just rambling though! [:D]

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Capt. Pierre-Yves Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voltigeur</i>
Now that it is commonly seen and that Multi Player Optional Communication Rules have been set, one more option in the game engine would be really nice to have. One that allows the Corps' commanders to see only what the units they are in charge of can see on the map.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This feature is actually already implemented in the HPS Naval Campaign games. How I wish it could be ported to the land warfare games. [8)]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:39 am 

Definitely Dierk! Definitely!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:46 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Definitely Dierk! Definitely!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

What about the simultaneous turn play...
Would it be hard to program?

6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:00 am 
I guess it would be hard, yes.

You would have players moving independently from each other over the same field. What if their moves are incompatible? Say I move a large stack onto the same hex as you do, and together we violate the stacking limit. I block a bridge in my move that you are about to use. I make contact with the same enemy units as you. I melee them, so do you. I retreat from a melee, into a hex that, unknown to me, your units have occupied in your move. Etc. etc. How to resolve such impossibilities?

I used to play 1812 as online MP game a couple of years ago. Worked nicely, except when Glyn Hargreaves and I, teaming up against two Indian gentlemen, sent our units into the same melee in the same moment. 200 Britishers meleed I think 15 Injuns. When the smoke cleared, the Injuns had stood their ground, but the British had vanished from the earth. 200+ redcoats, gone to the last man. The engine just wasn't able to cope with a melee situation involving units from two player commands. (Remember that movement on the same side happens simultaneously.)

Lot's of trouble there. A real Pandora's box. [|)]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:25 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />I guess it would be hard, yes.

You would have players moving independently from each other over the same field. What if their moves are incompatible?
(...)

Good point mon général!! [:)]

Altough I was thinking in the perspective of an Automatic Defense Fire turned to OFF, but still, many of the issues you mentioned would happen. [B)]

...unless players would <i>program</i> their moves (set the charges melees, etc.) and let the program execute the orders, move the units as <i>programmed</i>, prioritise some of them over others (ex. for the crossing of a bridge) But again who would entrust the program in taking such important tactical decisions?[:I]<hr noshade size="1">

6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:52 pm 

I really do not see a problem with it because in MP games the players really should stay out of each other's way.
I pretty much only play mp games and really enjoy them far more then the single player game regardless of the time it takes.
I am playing Ney in an MP game right now and and am suffering form all of Ney's psycological maladies as a result.
It is so realistic.
Damn it! I am tempeted to take command of the Empress's Dragoons and Blancard's Carabineer's.