Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
The reason I was asking the question was that I came across a custom scenario, (different game), in which there was an exit hex behind the position occupied by a very small force. All that the player had to do to avoid being creamed by the much stronger enemy was exit the map without engaging the enemy and secure a draw.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually I can picture situations where such a setup would make sense--i.e. rearguard actions, delaying actions, etc., in a campaign context. I believe there is at least one such scenario in the NRC campaign (prior to Borodino).

BTW could I suggest that you delete some of the quote-in-a-quote-in-a-quote-in-a-quote quotations when replying? It's becoming hard to read. [:I]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:53 am 
"in which there was an exit hex behind the position occupied by a very small force. All that the player had to do to avoid being creamed by the much stronger enemy was exit the map without engaging the enemy and secure a draw."

Mark,

Successfully executing a rear-guard action is a very tricky thing, to do and design. The smaller rear-guard would need an exit hex, and the larger pursing force would need an exit hex, and the length of the scenario should be that the pursuers would not have enough time to set around waiting for the smaller force to leave, or to build up enough strength to overwhelm the rear-guard, then exit.

Also, the victory levels should be such that draws simply don't exist. Either you successfully delay the enemy, or you don't. If you're completely wiped out, then the enemy will catch the rest of the army in the near future without any hinderance.
<hr noshade size="1">
Scott,

No offence to Stefan and the others who made the Eckmuhl Waterloo MOD, but comparing the new HPS version and the Eckmuhl MOD is like holding a race between Secretariat (of Kentucky Derby fame), and Donkey (of Shrek, the 1st movie, fame.) Donkey just can't compete.

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:35 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Orig. posted by D.S.W</i>
Actually I can picture situations where such a setup would make sense--i.e. rearguard actions, delaying actions, etc., in a campaign context. I believe there is at least one such scenario in the NRC campaign (prior to Borodino).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sure, they can work. But if a player is able to exit his forces with no contact, and can secure his best result by doing this, then there is little value to the scenario!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BTW could I suggest that you delete some of the quote-in-a-quote-in-a-quote-in-a-quote quotations when replying? It's becoming hard to read. [:I]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry - being lazy. It takes forever to delete those bloody great signatures[;)]

Mark
VII Corps