Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:56 pm 
I'm playing a game in Wagram and I have a calvary unit with over 1000 men. I changed them to charging, against a unit with 90 men, and I wasn't allowed to assault into the hex due to a overstacking message coming up. To me this seems like a bug...perhaps Rich can help me with this.

Thanks LL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:59 pm 

It's a mild problem (not even bug).
1000 is the max stack for cav, but there are a few units that are over 1000 men. When you try to use those units, they create problems like this.

Probably should be divided into 1/cav unit and 2/cav unit, for the sake of argument, but anyway, easiest workaround.

When you have a unit over 1000 men, split off squadrons

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:08 pm 
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if you could divide a calvary unit...always learning something new. How do you split a calvary unit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:51 pm 

Same way you send skirmishers off of a unit... his the "S" button.

Also, you can always break a cav unit all the way down to its componant squadrons.

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:38 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
Also, you can always break a cav unit all the way down to its componant squadrons.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

... but then they can't recombine, so be careful to avoid "breaking down" the last squadron-size unit (so that it changes from regiment to squadron status). Something that the game engine probably shouldn't allow in the first place, because it has only disadvantages and no advantages.

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:17 am 

LL: are you using the latest patch? I thought we fixed this issue a patch or so ago.

If you ARE using the same patch I will bring this up to John and we will see if it can be fixed.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>

... but then they can't recombine, so be careful to avoid "breaking down" the last squadron-size unit (so that it changes from regiment to squadron status). Something that the game engine probably shouldn't allow in the first place, because it has only disadvantages and no advantages.

Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>

They CAN recombine as soon as the total strength is reduced to below 1000. Thus if you had 1012 to begin with and lost 14 men (998 new strength) then the regiment can now be recombined.

John fixed a problem with the large regiments where you couldnt stack a leader with them (leaders were counting as one man I think). I believe that that is now fixed but I am going to look this over and see what issues the large regiments have.

Raising the cavalry stacking value for Eckmuhl and Wagram might solve this problem too with no coding needed for John.

Since Waterloo is out I will be looking over Wagram and Eckmuhl for errors and things that can be corrected for a future patch.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:23 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
They CAN recombine ...

No, what I meant is that the squadrons of a regiment can't recombine once one breaks them down *completely* into squadrons, so that the last component is also transformed into a squadron. That's what one should take care of not doing.

Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:30 am 

Dierk is correct, same with a Light infantry unit. If you break all the way down, and then hit the "S" button again, the final unit becomes a squadron (or skirmisher) unit and you can no longer recombine into a single unit.

Gen. Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:08 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
They CAN recombine ...

No, what I meant is that the squadrons of a regiment can't recombine once one breaks them down *completely* into squadrons, so that the last component is also transformed into a squadron. That's what one should take care of not doing.

Image</center>

Dierk - my bad - I am hoping to get John to change that so that the parent squadron NEVER can breakdown. That way faut pax by us on this issue never occur and you can recombine again.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:13 am 

Sounds like you really wanted to obliterate those 90 poor men!

Lt. Tim Cavallin, AdR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:44 pm 
Bill, I am using the latest patch...version 1.04, I could send you a game file once my opponent returns his turn, if you'd like.

LL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:41 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>

Raising the cavalry stacking value for Eckmuhl and Wagram might solve this problem too with no coding needed for John.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bill,

This would certainly solve the problem, and would be the easiest fix. The more elegant solution would be, as mentioned earlier in this thread, to split the large Austrian regiments in half [perhaps (a) and (b)], so that each could break down into the standard 4 or 5 squadrons (I forget what the divisor is for cavalry in the Campaign engine).

Although this would be a time consuming process as all of the scenarios would need to be updated, it might well be a better solution, since it would better represent the fact that the larger Austrian regiments comprised 8 squadrons, (I believe this was correct for 1805 but you will know better than I the composition for the armies in 1809).

I think it would be worth the effort and would be glad to help with the file changes.

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:44 pm 
Without having looked it up, I would suppose that the Austrian cavalry may have had eight squadrons, but tactically used them as four divisions (à two squadrons). Would be consistent with the infantry organization.

I am afraid that changing the OOB (beyond unit designations) would mean redoing all scenarios from scratch. At least I seem to recall that this is the case with the ACW games.

Image</center>