Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:49 pm 

You know, looking at this thread again... it's clear that it is time for HPS to release a nice 7YW game... I do believe our country cousins in Berlin could stand a lesson in respecting their betters.

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:23 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
<br />You know, looking at this thread again... it's clear that it is time for HPS to release a nice 7YW game... I do believe our country cousins in Berlin could stand a lesson in respecting their betters.

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lol...how about we follow that up with the Austro-Prussian War of 1866!! [:D][:D]

Oh this post will never die off. I will not let it....[:D][:D] May it haunt you half wanna be Germans forever!! [:D]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:28 pm 

Just looked through Prussian OOB.
IMO It looks very dull. I understand - most of old glorious Prussian regiment which banners remembered Friedrich the Great were completely destroyed in 1806 (Gendarmes, Leib-Kurassieren, Yellow cuirassiers, Leib-Karabinieren, Kleist Husaren, Grenadier-Garde, etc) and they cannot be included in OOB of 1815.
But… Where are Death Hussars, Garde-du-Corps, Kolberg regiment, Leib-Infanterie regiment, Konigin dragoons?? Only landwehr units without history and traditions.
A weak stimulus, indeed.

Ober-Lt V. Komissarenko
Vincent (La Tour) Chevaulegers
KUK Osterreichische armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:04 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vladimir K.</i>
<br />Just looked through Prussian OOB.
IMO It looks very dull. I understand - most of old glorious Prussian regiment which banners remembered Friedrich the Great were completely destroyed in 1806 (Gendarmes, Leib-Kurassieren, Yellow cuirassiers, Leib-Karabinieren, Kleist Husaren, Grenadier-Garde, etc) and they cannot be included in OOB of 1815.
But… Where are Death Hussars, Garde-du-Corps, Kolberg regiment, Leib-Infanterie regiment, Konigin dragoons?? Only landwehr units without history and traditions.
A weak stimulus, indeed.

Ober-Lt V. Komissarenko
Vincent (La Tour) Chevaulegers
KUK Osterreichische armee

We only have one Corps open and feel free to click my Garde-Brigade link below for our Grade Corps. You will find most of what you are looking for there. Some of what you mention is actually Brunsiwckers and henceforth I wish we had the right to include them, but they belong to the Anglo-Allies domain, unless the Anglo command wishes to forefit them to us.

But alas is your Austrian's any better. I say not. All plain line regiments that will be destroyed in time. Oh keep in mind too our Landwehr beat Napoleon twice, that more times than your beloved Austrian Armee can say now is it...[:D]

In time that Landwehr will have great tradition as the fundemental basics of how awesome the Prussian military system is. It will be the basis of the system of warfare for Prussia and later Germany for over 140 years after and will come to lay as fundementals of German Military tradition and modern Military systems. This system indeed will wipe your Austrians behinds and will outlive your ancient and backwards Empire. You are old school we are the new wave. [:D]

Of course when people think of German's and their military ways, they point to us Germany, whose foundations are Prussian. They hardly think of the ugly cousins the Austrians...[:D]

We are famous for great military men, Fredrick the Great, Blucher, Bismarck, von Moltke and a whole host of others.

Austria produces one famous man of them all who is hardly a military genius as the men above. A certain 20th Century mad man..... [:D][}:)][;)][B)][8]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:16 pm 

Scott,

I had never any doubt that Prussian army represented the core of the German military tradition. It’s enough to look at the WW1 when each time Austrians were defeated until a couple of German divisions arrived to help them. But this is a tradition of military machine, of massed armies, of fighting nation. It leaves a little place for reputation of individual regiments. From the middle of 19th century one must take in account larger units – divisions and corps, which existed temporarily, no longer than for one war.

Napoleonic wars are something special at this point. Guerres en denteile - when all the regiments standed equally in the same line and made the same actions – finished. War of machines – when differences between regiments were erased by higher organisational structures – didn’t begin yet. Regiments had chances to serve their name and did so. It is one of the reason for attracting my attention to this period.

I always admired with the words of Napoleonic general De Brack regarding this matter:
“A well-deserved reputation earned by troops runs rapidly throughout an army. If you have the honor to belong to a brave regiment, then your pride in being one of it will have no limits. I have seen certain corps applauded by a whole army. As soon as they appeared upon the line everybody cried out “Bravo!â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 am 

I shall get back, probably motnhs from now, on the Landwehr!! Their names may not be as famous, but their deeds are among some of the greatest.

I beg to differ with you that the regiments (brigades) held honor in modern warfare. In fact your dream may come true again if some of the radical US military reformers get what they want, to make the brigade (regiment in our terms) the basic and most important operational unit, with the ability to multitask its operations and efforts.

To tell you the truth, it is not even in my control, I would have all ArmeeKorps' open if I had it my way, but alas the CommandStaff sees it differently and will not let me do so, and I have to follow their wishes. [V][:(]

But all those names you list for the Austrians. We may have heard of them. But the average history traveller probably has not, and would most likely have heard of the Prusso-German ones. Your infantry and cavalry listings are even more obscure. Alas the Austrians will always only amount to seccond status next to their greater German cousins. 'Tis something that shall haunt them forever. Nameless units led by nameless men. [:D][;)]

Again we offered up victory many an occasion at the French, twice famous round, and we threw them off of our backs. Austrians twice shamed many times run over....[:D][B)][;)]

<center>

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:33 am 

I truly do not wish to get into a spitting match with our country cousins, but it seems I must...

Where were the Prussians when Louis XIV tried to dominate Europe? Oh, they sent a few troops, befitting their role as a minor state.
Where were the Hapsburg troops? Victorious on the fields of Blenheim, Turin, Oudenarde, Malplaquet. Yes, we fought with our English and Dutch friends, but if the Prussians wish to whine about that, then they get no credit for Waterloo.

Where were the Prussians in the long years of keeping the Turks at bay? Hiding on their barren Pomeranian estates.
Where were the Austrians? Standing tall, driving the infidel from the gates of Vienna not once, but twice. Winning great victories at Zenta and Belgrade.

Prussia didn't begin to be a "factor" until they found a king with less ethics than a Congressional lobbyist. A man who treated solemn agreements as so much toilet paper. A man who took an agreement made with his right overlord and discarded it, preferring to sieze lands instead of following the Pragmatic Sanction. However, he did not have the courage to do so alone, but instead brought the French and Bavarians into the mix, before he dared to challenge Vienna.

Ah, and 1866? I admit, Prussian arms were indeed victorious, but they had so little confidence that they forced us to deploy a great army to Custoza, by allying with the Italians.

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:02 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
Ah, and 1866? I admit, Prussian arms were indeed victorious, but they had so little confidence that they forced us to deploy a great army to Custoza, by allying with the Italians.

Actually Prussia did this to show off. By allowing the Austrians to whip the Italians, the Prussians made their victory in Bohemia stand out more. [:D]

"Our own campaign does look better this way; an Italian victory would have made it appear as if <i>anybody could beat the Austrians</i>."

(Quoting Count Kanitz, AdC to King Wilhelm, my translation and my emphasis. [:)])

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:20 am 

<br />I truly do not wish to get into a spitting match with our country cousins, but it seems I must...

Where were the Prussians when Louis XIV tried to dominate Europe? Oh, they sent a few troops, befitting their role as a minor state.
Where were the Hapsburg troops? Victorious on the fields of Blenheim, Turin, Oudenarde, Malplaquet. Yes, we fought with our English and Dutch friends, but if the Prussians wish to whine about that, then they get no credit for Waterloo.

Where were the Prussians in the long years of keeping the Turks at bay? Hiding on their barren Pomeranian estates.
Where were the Austrians? Standing tall, driving the infidel from the gates of Vienna not once, but twice. Winning great victories at Zenta and Belgrade.

Prussia didn't begin to be a "factor" until they found a king with less ethics than a Congressional lobbyist. A man who treated solemn agreements as so much toilet paper. A man who took an agreement made with his right overlord and discarded it, preferring to sieze lands instead of following the Pragmatic Sanction. However, he did not have the courage to do so alone, but instead brought the French and Bavarians into the mix, before he dared to challenge Vienna.

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army

Sounds like bittersness and lost dreams to me!![:D][:D] We were a new nation to the realms and were sucessful at it, can you blame us?? Oh least we showed up for Waterloo....[:D]

As for the Turks...hahaha...an old crumbling empire keep another old crumbling empire at bay. We were busy keeping the hordes of the East out of your backside at that time and Christanizing the lands. This would be the first of many occasions.

Our destiny was our own....not some false removed fools whom were second class in all natures. Whom were always at the whim of the Hungarians...whom always lived in fear of the Slavs....

I am sorry but when it comes to this era, your time has passed old man...[;)][:D] Your Empire will never be the same, I am sorry. We will rise from the ashes of these wars, the new Phoenix...you will crumble in your own troubles and fail to keep your land together and your enemies at bay. Your self righteous laurels that you rest on just like the French would be your demise. True Austria has a great legacy....but where are they now....nowhere. No one remembers what your lands did...everyone recalls the Germans saving your soles so many times.

Your Empire like your Emperor are washed-up old fools....[:D][:)][B)][;)][}:)][8]

'Tis a shame....your fate is sealed. [:D]

<center>

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:39 pm 

Hehe, Jan III.rd Sobieski shouldn't have saved Vienna in 1683.

But the biggest mistake made by our beloved Empereur, was not having burned Berlin in 1806 [;)][:D][:o)]

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:49 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomasz</i>
<br />Hehe, Jan III.rd Sobieski shouldn't have saved Vienna in 1683.

But the biggest mistake made by our beloved Empereur, was not having burned Berlin in 1806 [;)][:D][:o)]

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now that is funny Tomasz....[:D]

<center>

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie

</center>