Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:56 am 
Dear All.

Firstly allow me to introduce myself, Lord Wm Eddrington aspiring officer for His Majesty King George III.

I have BGW PTW and NIR but haven't played them in years. I was wondering what I would have to do to get back into it. All I have are the games, I don't have any patches or user mods etc.

Could one of you kind Sirs please point me in the right direction.

I have the honor to be,&c

Wm Eddrington

Lord Wm Eddrington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:47 am 

My Lord, follow the link on the club's main page to the scenario design center and there is a further link to Battleground patches where you can find the files to update your games. I think you have to upgrade the games to 32 bit first and then patch them...good luck.

GdD Paul Johnson
Comte de Calais, Duc de Fleurus
les Gendarmes d'Elites, Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde
Commander 7th Div
IV Reserve Cav Corps
Armee du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:50 pm 

Now, would you be Lord William of the Eddringtons-by-sea; of the Eddringtons-on-the-Wolds or Eddringtons-under-the-hill?

If the latter, has the hereditary tendancy to madness kicked in yet? No, please don't answer, it is clear that it has, as indicated by your curious desire to serve the Barking Mad Monarch on the English throne!

But, fear not, your condition is not irreversible. It can be remedied by following this link http://www.wargame.org.uk/nwc_french.htm and signing up to the Armee du Rhin. Here you will find a warm welcome, fine wines and cuisine, tours to all regions of the continent to spread <s>democracy</s>, <s>republicanism</s>, erm how about the benefits of the Continental System [;)]

You will also find many willing comrades to guide you through the upgrade process and instill in you the fine art of victory over all and sundry and the Austrians!

On the downside, I would recommend dropping the Lord bit though as some members of our Republique still get a bit twitchy about that. Oh, and you may want to take note that progression in this army is based on merit not on title or size of purse <font color="yellow">[take note to check on value of Bonaparte family connection in this context - Ed.]</font id="yellow">

Whatever your decision, welcome back and I look forward to joining you on the field of battle, whether as friend or foe

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:44 pm 

No need for nonsense my Lord. Join the Allied cause.

http://www.wargame.org.uk/nwc_allied.htm

Prussia if you even prefer for reasons listed here:

http://www.wargame.ch/board/nwc/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6620

But if you prefer the Anglo-Allies, I could think of few better places. Wonderful institution they are.

See you can't go wrong with the Allies!! The true givers of freedom from the false lies of the Corsican Donkey.

Read the big lie in their system:

<b>Oh, and you may want to take note that progression in this army is based on merit not on title or size of purse.</b>

Nobody lies more than they do, putting their Brothers in charge of Armies, and Kingdom's. Friends and Children in high commands. I smell nepotism run amok. True men earn their positions of command, they are not handed off to any fool who comes the way. You don't see Lieutenants commanding Divisions in our Armee. Those French love to get you in and then forget about you, or drag the process of indoctranation out so that they have brainwashed you completely.

If you wish to fall of the map, then the French are for you. If you wish to make something of yourself, the Allies are for you.

I say God Save King George and Koing Fredrick Wilhelm!!

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:44 am 

Aha!!

Although I appear to have aroused Herr Ludwig from his slumbers, it appears that he still dreams. How can this be[?]

Prussia, in 1805, that fine wanna-be nation that stood by while its Austrian neighbours took the pasting of pastings.

Prussia, that in 1806, stood alone for the first and only time against the Emperor, in the shortest campaign on record, barely worthy of a book.

Prussia, that through its weakness contributed to the Moscow tour in 1812, and only took up arms against their Masters when the Russians were on the doorstep and they thought to gain their liberation.

Prussia, that should have been crushed once more in the Spring of 1813, and destroyed as a nation state. Surviving only because of the belated descision of the Austrian splinter-asses (after 6 months of sitting on the fence) to throw their hats in with the wrong side.

Please, if you have masochistic tendencies, do join the Men in Black, we will enjoy bouncing you from Iena to Ligny and back again[}:)]

Merit?? Merit in the Anglo-Allied army? Surely, Sir, you mean credit! Amex, Visa, Mastercard etc. All are accepted for the purchase of advancement over there.

And what, pray tell, will you make of your self in the Allied army? A fool Sir, no less, a laughing stock of the family.

The one benefit of joining any of the coalition is the generous allocation of GI Running Shoes. These are distributed to your men to enable them to leave the field of honour faster than we French can catch them [V]

Come now Sir, to your senses I say. Heed not the call of the Prussian Dark Side, for the farce is strong in those ones. Let us help bring out the marshals baton from your knapsack

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:44 am 

Lies!! Lies!! Half-Truths!! And More Lies!!

Our beloved leader seperated from our Armee, came back to square away old Boney's Baton right up the kisser!! Like I always said we were a major part in two of the three of Bonapartes greatest downfalls.

Least our Commanders don't through a hissy fit when their men loose, abandon the Armee on the field and go back to the warm Palaces while they starve to death and die at the hands of the enemy. Not once, not twice, but three times the charm, you beloved fake Emperor did that!! Giver of freedom!! HA!! The only freedom he gave was freedom to deprt this world. He did it well in Russia by having the worst ever military disaster of porbably all time. Tell me Lord Eason, how does a man loose 600,000 men, leave them to perish, and then blame his generals for only doing their job!! Sounds like and ego tripped mad man to me!! [:D][}:)]

Your Army has as much merit as a bunch of dogs with no legs...

Hang on to those running shoes Lord Eason...you shall need them often in the Campaigns to come....[;)][:D]

Like I said before Lord Eddrington:

Lies!! Lies!! Half-Truths!! And More Lies!!

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:59 am 

I just have one question to ask you.

What nation handed the Ogre his first defeat? Was it the English with their natty coats and empty headed horsemen? No!

Was it the Prussians, with their robotic drill? No!

Was it the Russians, with their ration of vodka? No!

Worthy nations all, and any of them would be a far better choice than choosing to join the despoiler of Europe, the murderer of thousands, whose insatiable ambition brought our fair land to war time and again.

However, there can be but one choice, the nation that stood in the forefront of resistance to the foul ogre. Yes, perhaps we had our less than sterling moments in the field, but we kept coming back, and back, and back, and back. Yes, the true army of perseverence, the army that deserved that Laurels of Aspern-Essling is none other than the Austrian Army!

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn
Chief of Staff Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:01 am 
I believe it was the Spanish.

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:03 am 

I suppose it depends on definition. The Spanish beat French forces, to be sure, but they didn't defeat them with Nappy himself present, that is where our honor and glory lies.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />I believe it was the Spanish.

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, Armée du Rhin
Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:47 am 

Gentlemen please,
The Allies and that's all of them, shouldn't pit themselves against one another. All the members of the various alliances throughout the period contained good,bad and indifferent qualities and in the end it was a combination of those qualities and Nappy's errors among other things that eventually wore down,destroyed and finally got rid of Bonaparte for which the majority of the peoples of Europe were eventually very grateful.

Make the correct decision Lord Eddrington and enlist with the Allies.

<font color="orange">2nd Lieutenant John Sheffield
1st Btn/91 foot
[Argyllshire Highlanders]
6th British Bgd/4th Inf Div/
II Corps/</font id="orange"><b><font color="red">Anglo-Allied Army.</font id="red"></b>

<font color="gold">"Four things come back not: The spoken word; The sped arrow; Time past; and Opportunity." </font id="gold">
<font color="yellow">Caliph Omar I, ad 582-644.</font id="yellow">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:34 am 

That's done it. Now we have the Austrians on the field - late as ever, just checking which way the wind blows I guess[:)]

Aspern-Essling, a defeat[?] It was nothing more than a brief (6 week if memory serves me) delay in the inevitable pasting that was served up at Wagram. Victories against the Austrians are as certain as payment of Standing Orders by your bank.

To claim that hiding the other side of a very large river and getting lucky with some fire boats amounts to a victory stretches the credibility somewhat.

This said, if waltzing to defeat, down from the Pratzen heights to strains of a Viennese waltz is your thing, then the Austrian army is a must for you.

Now, back to Herr Ludwig and his Prussian propaganda, for it can be considered no less. The Spanish did not defeat us, they did not even have an army worthy of sharing the field with us. More irritating than Cossacks yes, but they had no honour, contenting themselves to attack our small detachments and supply lines.

The disaster in Russia was not of Napoloen's making. It was brought about by the weather, something that nearly 200 years on we are unable to predict. Whilst opponents label him as a deserter from that army, as head of state he had little option but to return to France and begin to raise a new army for the defence of the French empire.

And, before anyone raises the sprectre of him bleeding France dry of its youth, I believe I am correct that of the 4 major powers involved on the continent, France had the lowest loss from the wars as a percentage of its population.

So, to the major contribution from the Prussians in two of three minor setbacks suffered by the glorious armies of France. Assuming that these are in chronological order:

Campaign of 1812 - Victor was the weather

Battle of Nations - Oh dear, oh dear. I beleive that the Prussians presented fewer battalions or squadrons than even their Austrian neighbours and half the number provided by Russia. Granted, their role in this battle may have been more significant than that of Sweden or the Congreve rocket battery provided by the generosity of the English, but to claim this as a major Prussian contribution stretches reality a little too far[:p]

Battle of Waterloo - arrived in time to join Wellington's celebration yet claim victory for themselves.

So, let's be frank, left to their own devices the Prussians were invariably outsmarted by the French and generally on the business end of a bruising each time they met. Even when significantly outnumbering the French and taking a defensive position across a stream they managed to take a beating in 1815. It beggars belief that anyone would volunteer themselves to join this outfit.

Remember, blue is the new black, as we say in Paris[:D]

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:38 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by john sheffield</i>

<font color="gold">"Four things come back not: The spoken word; The sped arrow; Time past; and Opportunity." </font id="gold">
<font color="yellow">Caliph Omar I, ad 582-644.</font id="yellow">

Alas, had the good Caliph lived in later times he would have had the chance to correct himself;

<font color="gold">"Five things come back not: The spoken word; The sped arrow; Time past; Opportunity; and a routed Prussian battalion." </font id="gold">

[:D][:D][:D]

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:47 am 

Now that the petty advances of officers of the various armies of the assorted coalitions have been dispatched, perhaps, Lord Eddrington, you would care to join me with a large, rather fine cognac, by the fire where we can discuss more pertinent issues; such as where you would like your first chateau, how much gold we need to wring from the Austrian provinces to keep you in the manner to which you have obviously grown accustomed; which nation will be the first you wish to conquer and rule.

As mentioned in my earlier post, you are only a click http://www.wargame.org.uk/nwc_french.htm away from joining the finest fighting force in the NWC and beginning your journey to fame, wealth and glory

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:53 am 

My lads are waiting there for you, if you are so inclined.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br />
Aspern-Essling, a defeat[?] It was nothing more than a brief (6 week if memory serves me) delay in the inevitable pasting that was served up at Wagram. Victories against the Austrians are as certain as payment of Standing Orders by your bank.

To claim that hiding the other side of a very large river and getting lucky with some fire boats amounts to a victory stretches the credibility somewhat.

Mark
VII Corps

FML Gary McClellan
1st Jäger Bn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:07 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
<br />My lads are waiting there for you, if you are so inclined.

Much as it pains me, I probably do not have the wherewithal to meet your lads as I am limited to the Battleground fields.

If you are prepared to meet on any of these, please name your field, and any limitations you may wish to apply.

Regards

Mark
VII Corps