Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:51 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy Moss</i>
Recommended tactic if losing a game, tip Number 1 - start an e-row with the opponent. Then throw an e-strop and say "well if that's how you feel we'll call it a draw and move on!!" <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oi !! Sun Tzu !!

Eat yer heart out matey!! [:D][:D][:D]

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:53 am 

Jim,

If I may expand briefly on Bill Peters' excellent post, I would just make the following points:

Yes, cheating does occur on occasion. A procedure for how to deal with suspected cases of cheating has been spelled out in the NWC's Rules since at least 2000. In essence, if you can't resolve the matter informally, bring it to your CO's attention.

Dating back to 1999, I have reviewed at least a dozen cases of suspected cheating. Only two were ever substantiated, and one of them was simply that one player had multiple installs of the game and had inadvertently used the wrong pdt file for the game at issue.

For me, the bottom line is that "cheating" within the club has been remarkably rare, although not entirely absent. I am sure that this stems in part from the fact that the NWC has traditionally been more than just another "ladder" club, with a win-at-all-costs ethos. [^] If anything, there have been greater contretemps over the use of "historical" vs. "blitzkreig" tactics.[:D]

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal M. Francisco Palomo
Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde</i>
CO - <i>Iere Corps de Armee</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:16 pm 

Hi Paco
You make a very good point especially as over half the French Army are Marshals and cant go any higher[}:)]
On a more serious note would that indicate that Young Sirs, M of E, and Guards Challange would be more prone[?]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander
Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie, 1st. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:11 pm 

Marechals or newbies as cheaters - neither has any reason to cheat more than the other.

All they have to do is play me a few times to keep up their string of Major Victories! [:D]

Ok - all joking aside - I disagree that new guys would be more prone to cheat than Marechals.

Hypothetically speaking at this point:

Lets say that I am a Marechal and want to stay on the top dog list. So I cheat a bit to ensure that I win a good number of Major Victories.

And the same could be said of a Allied members too. Lets say that I am an Allied general and want to get ON the list. So I cheat a bit here and there but nothing that could be noticed. Lets say that every so often I tweak the fire values. Etc.

The idea here is that cheating knows no rank. Anyone can cheat and new guys are not neccessarily the ones who have something to gain by doing so.

Yes, more than likely cheaters could be in the new ranks but as our rank system doesnt take too long to climb for me its not the main problem.

The main problem is that I need to run out and get some food or I wont be worth much later on when I do game files! [;)]

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:29 am 

I guess whether or not a player will cheat is a result of how much his ego is tied in to winning. I'm in the club to make friends and have fun doing something I really love to do. Of course I don't like losing but I like arguing and fighting even less. If someone cheats they have to live with it and that's the bottom line.[;)]

Major Ed Blackburn
Commanding 6th Div, II Corps, AAA
3rd Bn / 1st Regiment of Foot Guards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:28 am 

Hello Gents

I have just returned from a long period of study leave and am glad to see that the debates are going on, even if our numbers are reducing.

I agree with the sentiments that if an opponent cheats, do not play them again. Hell, it takes long enough to play out a turn in a big scenario so why anyone wants to sit up all night playing a move over and over is beyond me! By the way, anyone who cares no look at my record at Borodino will clear me of any such allegations. Ask Neville Worland who ZOC'd loads of my infantry into the river last time I looked.

Général de Brigade Malcolm Cumberlidge
"Vigueur et Honneur"
Chef d'Etat-Major
1er Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
Armée du Nord