Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:47 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Koch</i>
<br />Dierk,
two GOOD reasons to ask for a good AI:

1st) Some players do not always have a PBEM file at hand when they want to do a little game
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Geez!! That should happen to me *once*. It would truly be a day of celebration.

Alas!, such miracles don't happen. [xx(]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:01 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
I have a PBEM game going right now and it is loads of fun.

You would say that [;)] Quit picking on my harmless Dutch-Belgian battalions [:D]

SekondLieutenant Martin Sabais
Brigade-Detachment Kompanies
1. Infanterie-Brigade
I. ArmeeKorps
Preußische Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:01 pm 

Well Rich did ask for comments and the A/I have generated their fair share in the past, not much has changed and all of us designers would like you guys to have a better A/I but if it means sacrificing the features that John added then out with the A/I and in with weather.

I like to play the PC too but face it - this series is not going to get an A/I that plays as good as our worst player in the club (me).

I rate the game an 8 on a scale of 10!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:03 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />Guys,

So, the game has been out a few weeks now...what do you think? Do you feel you got your money's worth?

Well, this is the first HPS title I have bought and I definately think it is worth the money. I certainly plan on getting a couple more this year [:)]

1. Infanterie-Brigade
I. ArmeeKorps
Preußische Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:11 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sabreman1966</i>
<br />

You would say that [;)] Quit picking on my harmless Dutch-Belgian battalions [:D]

1. Infanterie-Brigade
I. ArmeeKorps
Preußische Armee

Martin,
I would be sending you a gamefile with some more of those Dutch-Belgians enjoying French hospitality, but emails to you (by all methods) keep getting bounced back to me by AOL. [8]
Rick

Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:52 pm 

Hi Rich ... Splendid job overall. My only suggestions are probably outside of your control. The game engine, which hasn't changed much since the first Battleground game was introduced in 1996, is in bad need of an overhaul. The AI is woefully inadequate, and the game could use a workable campaign encryption feature. Other than that, top marks! I've already played a couple of short battles and I am now trying the open campaign. Vive L'Empereur!

Regards, Conjotter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
... but emails to you (by all methods) keep getting bounced back to me by AOL. [8]

Yes, AOL is having one of these "no I don't talk with other ISPs" periods again. I can't send to AOL users either. It's such a pain. [V]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:58 pm 

Sounds very fine (of course [;)])
But it seems there are a few problems with the pictures of some units in the "Grand Campaign no units fixed" :
art nr 10 I Korps at 392:361
art nr 1 I Korps at 354:343
art nr 2 I Korps at 393:364
art nr 9 I Korps at 451:343
are shown as Prussian Dragoon
3 Husaren 2 brig II Korps at 520:50
is shown as Prussian jaeger

a problem with the number of the picture in the oob, unless it's my binoculars ... [:o)][:I]

<font color="orange">2d Lieutenant Valère Bernard
Bataillon de Ligne Nº 7
[url="http://home.planet.nl/~boe01171/HQ/1Brig.htm"]1e Brigade[/url]
[url="http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm"]2e Nederlandsche Divisie[/url]
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:27 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valere5</i>
<br />Sounds very fine (of course [;)])
But it seems there are a few problems with the pictures of some units in the "Grand Campaign no units fixed" :
art nr 10 I Korps at 392:361
art nr 1 I Korps at 354:343
art nr 2 I Korps at 393:364
art nr 9 I Korps at 451:343
are shown as Prussian Dragoon
3 Husaren 2 brig II Korps at 520:50
is shown as Prussian jaeger

a problem with the number of the picture in the oob, unless it's my binoculars ... [:o)][:I]

Noted!

Gen. Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:12 am 

Boys,
I noted that the commander of the french VI Corps has been called "Lobau". This is his title. I think you should rename him with his real name : "Mouton" [;)]

<font color="orange">2d Lieutenant Valère Bernard
Bataillon de Ligne Nº 7
[url="http://home.planet.nl/~boe01171/HQ/1Brig.htm"]1e Brigade[/url]
[url="http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm"]2e Nederlandsche Divisie[/url]
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:57 pm 

I like the game overall but I do have a few concerns regarding the battles. In one game I chose to advance on Mons and I am now surprised to find that I am facing the entire Anglo-Allied army and some Prussians. In addition the battlefield is restricted by creeks so that all the action in funneled to the center with no room for manouver. As a result I fear that the first fight of this campaign will evolve into a major battle. I expect perhaps a Quatre Bras size fight leading up to later battles.

Marechal Jonathan Thayer
Moyenne Garde
Duc de Saalfeld et Prince de Friedland
10/III
Armee du Nord

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:55 am 

Jon,

If your opponent chose to shift all his forces that way too, then the second battle in the campaign will be a major fight. The first battles is a smallish one with a cavalry rearguard action delaying the French advanced forces.

As for terrain, it's a huge map, so there's quite a bit of variety. And I worked of topographical maps of the area, so they are accurate.

Regards,
Rich

Gen. Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:45 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by conjotter</i>
<br />
Hi Rich ... Splendid job overall. My only suggestions are probably outside of your control. The game engine, which hasn't changed much since the first Battleground game was introduced in 1996, is in bad need of an overhaul. The AI is woefully inadequate, and the game could use a workable campaign encryption feature. Other than that, top marks! I've already played a couple of short battles and I am now trying the open campaign. Vive L'Empereur!

Regards, Conjotter

First, I must note that the game engine HAS changed ALOT since the Battleground engine.

We now have a Single phase system mainly instead of a Multi-phase system.

And if you could see the list of changes that I have sent to John Tiller over the last six years that are now in the engine you might change your tune.

Just a few:
1. Bridge engineers, damage to bridges.
2. Units can retreat across a bridge now (saw a unit do this in the Landshut scenario - remember the days when he would have squirted to the side instead of head back to his own lines?)
3. Leaders no longer get shot at as they enter a hex occupied by troops. This is now in Waterloo. My team and I were after John to fix this from the git go. Just now got it in there.

and so on.

Now if your definition of changing the game means "code overhaul and total reprogramming" please show me one game on the market that is in a series that you have seen that was reprogrammed. You wont find one.

As to a future game engine based on new code: we had some discussion on this vein. While its possible it all depends on John's time being available.

For now I think that we can get more years of play from what we have. Is it perfect? No, but we are not done seeing what we can do to improve on what we have.

To recap: the game engine looks NOTHING like the 1.0 engine that shipped with Eckmuhl. Thru 8-10 patches for Eckmuhl we have stretched the code limit alot and what you now have is ALOT different than what shipped with the original game.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:51 pm 

Rich, You are correct. We are on the second battle.

Marechal Jonathan Thayer
Moyenne Garde
Duc de Saalfeld et Prince de Friedland
10/III
Armee du Nord

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:32 pm 

Hi Bill ... Don't be so sensitive buddy. My comments to Rich were great job, but the game system needs a major tweak to improve AI and to include campaign encryption.
I'm sure your hard work to improve the game engine, including engineers and such, is appreciated by club members, including myself.
But my remarks about AI and campaign encryption are valid, whether you like them or not.

Regards, Conjotter.