Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:43 pm 

1) Had 1,400+ (actual 1400+!) assault disordered 25 man (ACTUAL 12!) skirmisher...
Losses 75 attacker/25 defender...
Final modifier was -1
Am i missing something in the manual/readmes? this isn't possible with the parameter data.

2) 400+ Heavy cavalry got stopped cold by a single sub-100 strength disordered skirmisher in the charge phase. The way the manual reads there's always a chance they may pull up, is this correct?

3) How to save my artillery (get 'em to uncrew) that i moved in the path of the cossacks? limbered or unlimbered or both when they're overrun? with infantry adjacent? or does that matter? if it's done right is it automatic or a percentage chance?

4) i've heard HPS games deal better with skirmishers/ ZOC ... how so?

enough for the time being

thanx

Troy
2nd Lt.
Brigade Det. Co.
2nd Inf. Brigage
I Korps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:31 am 
The only way I can think to beat skirmishers is to use cavalry in the cavalry charge phase(DONT MELEE THEM). This way the skirm. are overrun with no casualties to the cavalry. But I do think this is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:29 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kilroy</i>
<br />1) Had 1,400+ (actual 1400+!) assault disordered 25 man (ACTUAL 12!) skirmisher...
Losses 75 attacker/25 defender...
Final modifier was -1
Am i missing something in the manual/readmes? this isn't possible with the parameter data.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Skirmisher losses in melee are reduced by 80%, this was introduced at version 1.01 for BGW and may not have made it into the manual. The actual result from your combat, with odds of 6:1 was therefore likely to have been from a random number of 1, 2 or 3, (the only outcomes that can give a loss of 75 to the attacking units). The unadjusted loss to the skirmisher was therefore 100 or 125, so the skirmisher lost the melee, (they lose if their unadjusted loss is at least 50% of the loss of the attacking player). The purpose of this is to simulate the reduced casualties taken by the skirmishers due to their dispersed formation.

This said, you certainly need to plan your cavalry charge / melee a bit better. Ideally, you should over-run skirmishers not melee them. If you are obliged to melee them yuo should do so with sufficient modifiers to ensure that you don't suffer this kind of loss. Committing 1,400 cavalry, (presumably about 4-500 with the charge strength bonus - as 1,400 cavalry exceeds BG stacking limits), against a battered skirmish company doesn't seem wise use of your cavalry!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2) 400+ Heavy cavalry got stopped cold by a single sub-100 strength disordered skirmisher in the charge phase. The way the manual reads there's always a chance they may pull up, is this correct?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes. The cavalry must have at least half the strength of the skirmishers to have a chance of over-running them. When the strength of the cavalry is equal to the strength of the skirmisher the probability of successful over-run is 50%.

I can not remember the exact equation for success but there probably is always a small chance for failure.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3) How to save my artillery (get 'em to uncrew) that i moved in the path of the cossacks? limbered or unlimbered or both when they're overrun? with infantry adjacent? or does that matter? if it's done right is it automatic or a percentage chance? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a wise move. Limbered artillery is eliminated when it is over-run by charging cavalry, (unless it is stacked with a friendly infantry or cavalry, in which case its strength is added to the defensive strength of the stack and it takes its chances with the rest of them, (by the way, stacking artillery with these units negates the defensive bonus of both cavalry and squared infantry against charging cavalry - in other words, the presence of a battery with these units, limbered or not, means that the charging cavalry do get their x3 strength bonus).

Assuming the limbered battery is with supporting units, if defeated in melee it will be pushed back, probably with losses but, as long as it didn't rout it will be able to unlimber agin next turn.

If unlimbered artillery loses the melee, even with supporting units, the other units will be driven out but the battery will be eliminated.

The only way a battery can become uncrewed is by being over-run while it is unlimbered. This requires the charging cavalry to charge over it from outside its two facing hexes. I have not seen a player do this for years because:
a) we look after our batteries better than that
b) if you do over-run a battery in this way, you simply leave one of the cavalry squadrons behind in the charge to melee for free the uncrewed guns and eliminate them.

Who would think of employing cavalry to take out the guns only to let the enemy re-man them?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4) i've heard HPS games deal better with skirmishers/ ZOC ... how so?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dunno!

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:07 am 

Great info, Mark! Thanks!

How about an HPS expert to describe how these same situations work for the HPS games?

Lt. Tom Bridges
5/3e Artillerie à Cheval
1er Corps, Artillerie du Reserve
AdN